Trafigura Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trafigura Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

2.9

Graduate Program Interview

Interview

Applied online. Got a phone call and first round interview out of the blue, and invited to the final round at the end of the call. Final round was fairly strait forward, some technical questions.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

Got an interview through the local recruiter. Went to in-person interview with the traders first and the with the operations manager. The in interview took about 1.5h. Was asked to go through the resume and elaborate on previous experience.

Analyst Interview

Interview

Generic, four guys asked some bland questions, HR did their usual schtick. It was pretty cut-to-the-chase. They look for a particular fit, either it works or it doesn't. No need for brain teasers and such.

Graduate Development Program Interview

Interview

Applied online. Phone interview with basic questions: Why Trafigura, tell me about yourself, basic risk and hedging concepts. First round interview in Stamford. They fly you in. Mostly fit questions with a few market related questions about what's currently going on and a little about competitors. Second round is the technical questions; hedging specifics, risks involved.

Interview Questions

• Discuss what leadership means to you and how you demonstrate leadership.   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Interview

Applied through college career website. Was contacted by HR via phone for first round screening in October, then went through two rounds of in person interviews (one in Stamford one in Houston). Each in person interview included two 30 min interviews, most of which were fit questions (what's your greatest weakness etc). Second round included several technical questions about hedging physical positions.

Interview Questions

• How many cans of coke can fit in one tanker?   2 Answers

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT) in November 2014.

Interview

Received a phone interview out of the blue and phone screening started right away. Was notified a few days later of being invited to the 1st round interview to be held one month later in their Stamford office.
    1st round interview was very easy- interviewers seemed unprepared and did not know what to ask.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a forward and a future?
      What countries are members of the opec?
      1 Answer

Rotational Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

Phone screen from Switzerland than interview in Stamford.

Applied online first. Answering some questions on the online app.

Mostly behavioral and fit. Nothing really technical/quantitative in my opinion.

Not a good fit if you are looking for a more quantitative field.

Graduate Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trafigura (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

1st round: I was called from a Singapore number late one night for a phone interview
    2nd round: I flew to Houston for a 2-2 person panel interview
    Final round: I flew back to Houston for a 2-2 person panel interview

Know who the company is, what they do, who the compete with and current market dynamics.
    Trafigura was great in getting back to candidates after each round in 48 hours or less.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't need to negotiate. The offer was that amazing.

Graduate Program Interview

Interview

Applied to Shanghai office. 2 panel interviews with managers and senior traders. Interviewers appeared very unprofessional. The organization of the interview process is a disaster. Some of the interviewers looked like they had no clue what they were supposed to ask. In many cases I had to think of questions to keep the conversation going. I failed to demonstrate my competencies because of the poor questions asked by the recruiter. After two rounds of interview, they told me I had been unsuccessful, asked me to transfer to the local programme which basically is grinding in the back office. Feels like they were banking on me to be transferred the whole time. terrible experience. The HR people from Geneva were nice though, but not really helpful.

Interview Questions

• Explain what contango means and how can Trafigura profit from this.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied Online. Heard back after about a month. They called me and began conducting a phone interview right away. Questions asked about physical risks in transporting oil from Africa to USA, why I wanted to work at Trafigura, if offered a position in South Afrrica or Mongolia which would I take and why, etc. I was slightly unprepared for the phone screen but received an offer to interview in Stamford office anyway. In-Person interview consisted of meeting with 2 younger employees and 2 more senior level employees. No unexpected questions, more of a conversation. 2 younger employees were very friendly and welcoming. I got the feeling they just wanted to make sure they'd be comfortable working with me. 2 senior employees were a bit more difficult. They didn't ask any technical questions, but they were much colder to me than the other 2 interviewers.
    I feel I didn't get the job because I didn't have a strong conversation with the more senior employees. HR was very prompt and told me within 24 hours after the interview that I would not be advancing to the 2nd round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me specifically the risks associated with transporting oil from Africa to USA.   1 Answer