True Value Interview Questions | Glassdoor

True Value Interview Questions

Interviews at True Value

2.4

Cashier Interview

Interview

Applied in person, met with a manager, and then had an interview with them. Was then called in and offered a job. The interview was not too difficult and was an easy process.

Transportation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at True Value (Eugene, OR) in September 2019.

Interview

I was only able to participate in a phone interview for this position. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and covered the typical questions one would be asked during a phone interview.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at True Value (Chicago, IL).

Interview

They had one of their "Senior" developers interview me. He didn't really seem to understand software development and was just reading inverview questions he found on the internet. This guy went on for about 30 minutes asking questions that he didn't even understand the answers to. I tried to do some follow up talk with him to see if he knew how to code, and it became very clear he did not (remember this guy is supposedly a "Senior" level developer). Big red flag, so I would not recommend this company.

Interview Questions

• Google ".net interview questions". The interviewer probably just prints them out and reads the questions.   1 Answer

Sales Training Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at True Value (Chicago, IL) in June 2019.

Interview

This review was rejected for using names, then titles, and finally a first name initial to keep the two True Value employees straight. Please forgive me for using she/he, or the first/second contact, but I wanted to make sure the parties were separate in the recruiting experience shared below.

I was recommended for the role to the first person who reached out, and asked for a resume and then told me to apply online. Job Posting was pulled down, so she needed to get it put back up. Posting would not save answers and application, but she got that fixed that night, so I could apply. Was next contacted by a different person and we scheduled a time to speak by phone. He did not call when promised, and responded to a 'where are you' email, with a delay, then another delay, and finally a third delay almost 90 minutes after originally scheduled. This would be a reoccurring behavior. We had a great conversation where my background training commodity based sales for large corporations to sell their products through emerging B2B channels seemed like a great fit, especially since I had led culture changes at many other Fortune 100 companies, and True Value was going through a massive change. Since this was not a high-level management position, and I had held those in the past, I made sure he understood, I was trading standard of living for quality of life, and had a similar position at my current company for 6 years. Their office was a short drive away, and the income and benefits were competitive. He said that week wouldn't work, but if I could get time off and send him dates for the the next week, he wanted me to meet the hiring manager face-to-face.
    For over 3 weeks, He would ask me to send date/times, which required rearranging work schedules and arranging coverage. He would say he would 'Circle back soon'. I would see the dates booked coming up, ask him to confirm, be told those dates didn't in fact work, be asked for a whole other week of dates, and repeat, No contact, no circling back. To show some of my experience, I even created a 300 business name list of hardware stores within a 20 mile radius to show how his sales people could easily find the prospects they needed for the new direction True Value was going in.
    Finally after 3 weeks, he said the the decision maker thought my 17 years of experience training similar industries, and being ranked as a top 4 salesperson in the nation in similar sales, wouldn't apply or translate.
    I responded to both of the people I had been in touch with, looping both in, because the second contact had earlier accidentally said the position was filled, and the first contact found out it wasn't. I was then told by the original contact, that the hiring manager was concerned that I was overqualified, and would take this job temporarily and move on to something else. This was a concern address with with the second contact, and with 6 years current job history to the contrary.
    I asked not to be contacted again, for any future positions, based on this experience, and the very next day received a form recruiting email from the second contact, saying he read my resume, was impressed with my experience, and could I contact him to apply, for the very role I was just passed over for, with no face to face interview. He admitted that though the email was worded as if they read the resume and wanted to talk to people based on that, that it was actually a system generated email based on matching terms, and that he would make sure I didn't receive them anymore.
    Many bad reviews on here are for the independently owned stores, but this recruiting experience has been the absolute worst I've ever had in my entire career.
    BTW-I went back through an old offer and realized that the second contact = at TV, had also told me that an earlier role had no internal candidates (I do not apply if internal candidates are trying for the same role), and later said they decided to promote from within to give an inexperienced candidate a chance.

Interview Questions

• Tell, me about your biggest training failure and how did you react?   Answer Question
    • How can you leverage your background to train and develop training for a program to sell our products to hardware stores that do not have the True Value name attached?   Answer Question

Senior Compensation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at True Value.

Interview

Well Organized. People were accommodating and friendly. The process felt more like a conversation than an interrogation. Not many breaks in between people. The interviews started promptly. I first met with an HR Generalist, than the HRIS manager and finally the head of Total Rewards.

Interview Questions

• What is your proficiency with HRIS? Describe your project management style?   Answer Question

Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at True Value (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with Hiring manager, In person with hiring manager and HR manager, and in person/Final interview met with 6 managers. Basic interview until the final meeting with all mangers. Some of them have no business conducting interviews for this position and asked many questions that have nothing to do with recruiting skills or specific role. Asked each manger why someone would want to come work for them over a competitor and no one had a real definitive answer, which shows me why they can not attract top talent. Mangers told me emploeeys were leaving the company because of instability and rumors of being bought out. Final interview was on Tuesday. Was told I would hear back on Wed or Thurs. Did not hear anything back so followed up on Friday. Was told will have update on Monday. Did not receive anything back on Monday. Followed up again on Friday and then got a call saying they were passing. Horrible follow up and keeping their word. This company will continue to downgrade and lose credibility as it already is by sticking to their old ways. Do not want a proactive recruiter but rather have someone sitting behind the desk and waiting on resumes to come in. Sorry to see that they are not changing with the times. Many rumors about being bought out by Ace Hardware and Big box shops. Total profit is down and I would look twice before considering joining this company.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic questions, but one manager asked me out of the box questions trying to read my personality. It was a very junior questions and was not very professional. If some of these managers are going to continue to interview positions outside their speciality they should be given guidelines or taught how to interview.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Network Optimization Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at True Value (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied through a common connection. Received an email from the recruiter when a time was decided for a 40-50 min interview. The interview questions were good and the recruiter was very well versed with the job profile. However, after the interview, there was no response from the company. Followed up twice in 3 weeks with emails to the recruiter but never heard a thing. Very unprofessional.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I interviewed at True Value (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email request for phone interview. At the scheduled time, no phone call, or email to reschedule. Two weeks later I received an email requesting a reschedule for the phone interview. Time comes for interview and again, no call. Person finally called 30 minutes later but I was on another call, so I wasn't able to pick up. I called back, left a message asking to reschedule, heard nothing. Next day I received a rejection email. Please don't request interviews if you don't intend to follow through. Very unprofessional.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at True Value (Allentown, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was basic interview 101. By the book with typical steps. Phone screen hen to the next step in person. Had 2 different interviews at different times. Both one on one

Inventory Planner Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at True Value.

Interview

Initial contact was made by an internal recruiter, followed by an invitation to interview onsite. On the day of the interview I met with the recruiter I had originally spoken with on the phone for 30 minutes and then participated in a 1.5 hours interview with a panel of Inventory Planning Managers. The whole process was very smooth and everyone made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe the word "assertiveness"?   1 Answer