True Value Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
True Value CEO John Hartmann
John Hartmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is phenomenal (in 8 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn a lot of operations of a retail hardware store (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It's essentially a dead end job with minimal room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for growth unless you are willing to relocate to Chicago to work at headquarters (in 5 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Pros

it was a good time

Cons

it was a high school job back in 2006

2. "Working"

Former Employee - Yard Worker in Calais, ME
    Former Employee - Yard Worker in Calais, ME

I worked at True Value part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping customers are the best part of the job.

Cons

Management can be tough to deal with.

3. "My store"

I worked at True Value (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always personal attention to the customers

Cons

I would say no cons.

4. "Sales Associate"

I worked at True Value part-time

Pros

A great first job that taught me the importance of customer service.

Cons

Not ideal for long term employment

5. "Manager"

I have been working at True Value full-time

Pros

I really like the direction the Company has taken the last 3 years with the development and execution of a solid strategic plan that allows the Company and the Board to review and adjust but more importantly to focus on the Independent Retailer, our Customer, and it gives us who work for True Value more meaning to want to do the right thing for our Members.

Cons

No Cons to present at this time.

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Peachtree City, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Peachtree City, GA

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can work as much as you would like. Working overtime is never a problem.

Cons

Difficult to get time off. Difficult to move up in salary and status.

Advice to Management

Communication would be key. Also being flexible and cooperative with employees. Helping them feel valued as employees instead of a tool for monetary gain.

7. "Get Out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I worked at True Value full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Have worked here for a few years and enjoy the people I work with.

Cons

No upward mobility. Company is struggling and barely staying afloat.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and tell them the truth about company status and future of business.

8. "Manager"

I have been working at True Value full-time

Pros

Fun work environment with plenty of interesting people to talk to always something new to learn in a hardware store

Cons

The town is a shore town. And everyone who walks in feel like they are entitled and needs you to pamper them because their brains stop working

Advice to Management

Micro managing sucks you should let your management handle the situation instead of being over their shoulders

"Death by a 1,000 Cuts and What Else You Can Buy for $800 Million"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at True Value full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some really good people that you could call friends. Above average benefits shows the company cares about its associates and the pace is perfect from a work/life balance with the daily exodus beginning at 4:15. The strategic plan instituted by the CEO makes entirely good sense for what the company needs to do to grow, although the concern would be at each of the executive, management and executional levels where it is questionable if the right bodies are in place to make it succeed.

Cons

Overall, the company possesses a very unhealthy obsession with Ace Hardware to the point of having emulated or even duplicated many of its programs instead of striving for innovation and uniqueness and its own point of differentiation. Many departments are not without its own idiosyncrasies. For example, Corporate Communications operates in a frenzied, schizophrenic unplanned pace often deluging others with 11th hour nearly impossible requests. And of course, you can’t spell Marketing Department without including the letters “d.r.a.m.a.” There’s always some form of theatrics played out by the same certain individuals who probably do not belong in a position of middle management/program responsibility. Then there is the COE which is typically referred throughout the company as the Center of (in)Effectiveness, Center of (in)Efficiency, Center of Euphemism, etc. No one seems to know who is behind leading this department and what it actually does considering the power it holds within the company.
    The distribution of workload is disproportionately unequal. Some teams carry the majority of the weight on their backs because their partners prefer to do the bare minimum in return, as such as the case where some associates job descriptions could be described as “getting others to do their work for them.” In other instances, some of this burden of work can be directly traced back to questionable programs derived from various individuals/teams other than to promote job justification.

Advice to Management

Advice to the CEO: Stay focused on the strategic plan as it’s the right thing to do, but make sure the right people are in place that can carry it out at all levels within the company. Review and audit all existing and prospective programs and initiatives in determining what should be kept and immediately cut. Don’t allow program sponsors and owners to talk a big game, especially if those programs’ current performance against the investment cannot back it up (see CFV initiative). Cut through their lines of BS and get to the heart of it. Challenge them on their proposed grand vision of the future – especially those individuals/teams that cannot get the basic requirements up and running for the present day needs. Keep focused and move faster as there have been some nice wins along the way. Don’t wait for those to get on the bus or they will continue to slow our progress down.

10. "The True Value in Life"

I worked at True Value part-time

Pros

They were easy enough to work with.

Cons

There wasn't any room to grow.