Urban Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Urban Institute Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for a research assistant position at Urban, the process took about two months total. I was first asked to do a phone screening interview, which lasted about an hour and went quite well. Then I had an in-person interview about three weeks later, which was more mixed. I didn't recieve an offer, but overall the experience was fine. They really only seem to care about data-type credentials so my advice is to emphasize your data background to whatever extent is possible!

Interview Questions

• What's one surprising data experience you encountered?   Answer Question

Research Associate II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Institute in June 2016.

Interview

The phone interview process was standard. As noted above, know your resume and be prepared to elaborate on each item. The interview was with two Justice Policy Center researchers who were friendly. There is a strict thirty minute time limit, so make sure your responses are succinct. Additionally, have a short description of your current research project ready to go.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Urban Institute.

Interview

Stuck my foot in the door through a recruitment agency. Initial interview was somewhat intimidating - four or five lower level researchers in a relaxed, but stiff roundtable-type interview. Didn't think I'd get it. Actually kind of cried on my way out. They probably offered the position to someone else who declined, because over a month later, I got a call from a higher-level researcher for a follow-up interview and some writing samples and a timed test. She still seemed unconvinced about my potential, which made me begin to question it, but eventually i got the call. Overall, really weird experience.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember. But, my advice is, know why you want this. Know what it is before you apply, why that work is valuable to you, and how it will help you in the long-run. Also, be brutally honest about what you can do. This is real research that has real political stakes, and we all know politics could use a little less dishonesty.   Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Process was pretty straight forward. Phone screen, follow up with an in person interview, then interview with the VP. Had great interviews, up until I met with the VP who just seemed disinterested and disengaged from the moment I walked in. Hardly any eye contact, just seemed cold. From my initial interviews, I was very excited about the opportunity but after the final interview with the VP I was turned off....so I wasn't too bummed about not getting an offer. I actually expected it after my interview with her.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Urban Institute in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online in December. I heard about the position through various online searches. I was contacted for a Skype interview approximately one month later. The interview was 2 back to back 30 minute sessions--the first with senior research staff and the second with other RAs and junior level staff. Overall the interview was very relaxed and went more or less like a conversation. Mainly interested in research experience, some behavioral questions and technical.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

Interview

Applied online through the website, a couple weeks later was contacted via email for a phone screen. That was quick, two researchers asked some general specifics about my resume and experience. Then there was a written assessment, and finally an in person interview a couple weeks after. The interview was in three parts, meeting with multiple levels of staff. Everyone throughout the process was polite, friendly, and professional.

Interview Questions

• Do you consider yourself a qualitative or quantitative researcher?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied online, took about a month for them to get back to me. Phone screen was relatively straight forward, mostly asked about resume with a few behavioral questions. One question I remember in particular was to describe how I manage multiple projects at once. Following the phone screen I got asked to resubmit my resume and a writing sample, then to take a brief writing test. The test was not anything too difficult, just analyze and write about a simple bar graph. Following the writing test I was asked to come in for an in person interview. The interview was first with an HR person who asked specifics about my resume and gave me information about the company. Following the HR interview I went to lunch with a person in the position I applied for. I was told that it did not count as part of the interview. After that was a committee interview with people representing the different levels of researchers and then lastly an interview with the center manager. Most of the interviewers asked variations of the same questions, I figured that they were all going to meet and compare answers later. I was told that they would make a decision in the next week or so, but I never ended up hearing back.

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

I received an email from someone at the institute requesting an interview time. Once we scheduled a time, I was informed that I would be speaking with two researchers at the time of my interview. During the interview, I was asked a number of general interview questions (tell me about yourself, strengths, weakness, etc). The interviewers were friendly and the interview went smoothly. It lasted about an hour (they said it would last 45 minutes).

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview involved an in person interview with HR and members of the team. It lasted a couple of hours and wasn't very difficult. Everyone was excited to ask questions and get to know me, and they were very happy to help me with any questions I had.

Research Associate I Interview

Interview

Spoke with two members of staff for an initial informal telephone interview who asked probing questions about my academic qualifications, previous research experience, and my quantitative skills as well as my history of supervising research.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions during this initial formal interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I accepted a formal interview so there was no negotiation at this phase of the interview process.