Urban Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2017

3.2

Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

First, I was asked to complete a phone interview with the HR person. This was fairly straightforward. Then I was brought in for an in-person interview with all four members of the Development Team. For the final round, I was brought in for one more in-person interview where I also spoke with members of the Executive Team.

Interview Questions

• What was one previous work accomplishment that you are most proud of?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Institute.

Interview

Phone interview lasted exactly 30 minutes and was straight forward. Kind of awkward to do it in a conference call format.
    Feedback from the interview came right away and a writing test was promptly scheduled.

Interview Questions

• How will you balance the different responsibilities of the job?   Answer Question

Interview

The process took approximately six weeks overall. The first round consisted of a 30-minute phone screen. The next week, I was given 24 hours to complete a policy memo on a supplied prompt. A few weeks after that, I had a super-day style interview with several researchers over the course of a few hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for a research assistant position at Urban, the process took about two months total. I was first asked to do a phone screening interview, which lasted about an hour and went quite well. Then I had an in-person interview about three weeks later, which was more mixed. I didn't recieve an offer, but overall the experience was fine. They really only seem to care about data-type credentials so my advice is to emphasize your data background to whatever extent is possible!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I traveled to the office in D.C. to have a phone interview with a head researcher while a program assistant was in the room asking the more basic questions. The interviewer was very rude throughout the interview and sounded very disinterested.

Communications Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

First the hiring manager calls you over the phone to gauge their interest in you. Then they invite you for an interview. Then they invite you for another interview. Then, if they like you, they hire you.

Interview Questions

• What do you do? Where do you see yourself in five years? What types of stuff do you read?   Answer Question

Research Associate II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Institute in June 2016.

Interview

The phone interview process was standard. As noted above, know your resume and be prepared to elaborate on each item. The interview was with two Justice Policy Center researchers who were friendly. There is a strict thirty minute time limit, so make sure your responses are succinct. Additionally, have a short description of your current research project ready to go.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Urban Institute.

Interview

Stuck my foot in the door through a recruitment agency. Initial interview was somewhat intimidating - four or five lower level researchers in a relaxed, but stiff roundtable-type interview. Didn't think I'd get it. Actually kind of cried on my way out. They probably offered the position to someone else who declined, because over a month later, I got a call from a higher-level researcher for a follow-up interview and some writing samples and a timed test. She still seemed unconvinced about my potential, which made me begin to question it, but eventually i got the call. Overall, really weird experience.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember. But, my advice is, know why you want this. Know what it is before you apply, why that work is valuable to you, and how it will help you in the long-run. Also, be brutally honest about what you can do. This is real research that has real political stakes, and we all know politics could use a little less dishonesty.   Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Process was pretty straight forward. Phone screen, follow up with an in person interview, then interview with the VP. Had great interviews, up until I met with the VP who just seemed disinterested and disengaged from the moment I walked in. Hardly any eye contact, just seemed cold. From my initial interviews, I was very excited about the opportunity but after the final interview with the VP I was turned off....so I wasn't too bummed about not getting an offer. I actually expected it after my interview with her.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Institute (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Far questions. None intimidating. Two interview process, one with future member of the team. The second interview was with supervisors. There was no sample writing needed for this position. It took a while to hear feedback after I applied but only two weeks to get an offer after the second interview.