VaynerMedia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at VaynerMedia

2.6

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at VaynerMedia (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

I found VM on LinkedIn and saw I had a connection. After meeting, my connection sent a referral and after a couple weeks, the hiring manager reached out to coordinate an interview. I met with 3 individuals, one SVP, two mid-level creatives. It was very conversational and lasted about 45 minutes. I got an offer 3-4 days later and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Q: what social or digital ad campaign excited you over the past year and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VaynerMedia (San Francisco, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied online through their website because I was a big fan of Gary Vaynerchuk, and really wanted to work with his company. Maybe a week or so later, I got an email telling me they wanted to set up a skype interview with me. It's been a while now so I can't remember exact details, but I had to do two skype interviews- I believe one was with hiring people in New York and the other was with the community manager supervisors in San Francisco (which was where I had applied to work). The interview process was fine- I would almost compare it more to a first date- they just tried to get to know you and understand your personality and how you worked; very few technical questions.

Ultimately, I got the offer, and I really wanted to accept, but the finances just weren't right and it was impossible.

Interview Questions

• More personality based questions, but they did ask who specifically you thought does a good job with brand marketing on social media and why- so have a good answer for that.   1 Answer

The offer was too low.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VaynerMedia (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

Came in through an employee referral (friend of a friend). Came in and took a short quiz that asked to write some tweets, grammar questions, situational questions. Then met with 4 Engagement Managers (2 at a time), 30 min for each session. They were extremely friendly, and felt more like a conversation with new friends than an interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too crazy - spoke more about my interests and experience. Asked for some opinions on favorite platforms, but didn't push for specific social media knowledge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VaynerMedia (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online for the SF office. Got an email two weeks later from SF HR to set up Skype interview time with hiring team in NY one week out. Two sets of two people interviewed me over my janky connection and thrashing computer. I wanted to use Google hangouts cause my Mac can't handle that Skype life but, w/e.

The interviewers were two sets of young people (but older than me) with some title a little higher than the entry level CM. The one sitting screen left always dominated the interview. And the two interviews took about an hour all together.
    The people were chill and cool but, the interview turned into a social Skype date in which they obsessed over certain things that I was/said.

Some things that were discussed, that I felt were not all that relevant:

-Where do you come from?/How did you end up in California? (I'm hella mixed racially and have an "ethnic" name so maybe that was everyone's interest in that. IDK. I doubt it wasn't to discriminate I'm sure but, it was just not relevant. This came up about three times)

-General questions on how I like SF and California and how I was Californian. (Maybe cause they were from the East? IDK)

-What's a weekend like for me in San Francisco? (Dude, I don't actually live there.k.Bay area.)

-One interviewer started to tell me about her book log and stuff. That was unexpected.

I basically think they try to see how "cultured" you are as a person and what your interests are based on your responses. IDK though I'm pretty "cultured" (born poor, got myself to a decent college, double majored, lived out of the country and I watch/ed 30 Rock, can hustle hard like a mother but in the end I was TD.) I am also pretty sure me writing this gives away who I am but yolo. ew. I hate that thing. Is it still a thing.

So be more cultured like a Renaissance man or woman or womyn or person or genderless being. Good luck doe.

And lastly, HR in SF was super nice when I had questions, before and after the interview so shout out to them/her cause although I wasn't JO'd she at least responded with some transparency.

Interview Questions

• TBT there are not "difficult" questions besides the interviewers periodically throwing in some social media quiz type questions such as "Name a successful social media campaign and why it was twerking for them?(Rephrased by me)", "Who would you do social media for, why? and what would you bring?", "What social media sites do you use and how?", "Do you like GIFS?" "Is it GIFS or GIFS?", "CALIFORNIA CALIFORNIA CALIFORNIA"jk. On this last one though.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VaynerMedia (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

Applied online and emailed the next day. Went in, met with three team members -- disorganized process. Asked many "have you ever..." skill questions and on-the-spot "how would you feel working for X client." Ended with a one hour skills test.

Interview Questions

• Would you have a problem working for Barbie? (I am a male.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VaynerMedia (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

It was a panel, the office was VERY causal (skinny jeans, hoodies). Young people's office. In my opinion the dress was too casual, looked like a high school classroom. The people were nice, some sharper than others, person leading the interview was very competent. The focus was on Social Media use.They gave a "social media skill test" at the end where you had to write tweets, and show your creative side.

Community Manager Interview

Interview

sent my resume in and was called in for an interview. a few questions about how you as a brand would connect with the consumer. have to take this test at the end, as you how you would respond using different brand voices, make you say the same thing in 12 different ways, and a short grammar test.

Interview Questions

• just standard interview questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

just an offer letter. they were not up front about the working hours, or the fact that you have to work on the weekends and holidays.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VaynerMedia.

Interview

Received same initial form email as other reviewers several weeks after I initially applied to the position. The email was from a hiring manager who asked me to come in for an interview and told me the office was casual and not to "feel the need to dress up." When I arrived off of the elevator there were a dozen 20 something's wearing t-shirts and super casual dress, working in a group space of two tables, very reminiscent of a college study hall. My initial interview was with 4 people, they asked an assortment of questions about social media, and after about 30 minutes, gave me a written test to take and left me a lone to complete it. A week later I received a follow up email from the hiring manager, very vague, asking me to come by the office to meet "some of their account people." When I arrived, I met with two account executives. The second interview consisted of similar social media and background questions as the first. A week after the second interview, I received another form email from the hiring manager, notifying me that I did not get the position I applied for, but the email was worded very vaguely as if I was still in consideration of being hired in the future.

Interview Questions

• If you had an unlimited budget, what social media initiative would you run and for who?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VaynerMedia (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

I had applied for the Community Manager position, and finally received a reply 3 months later. The interview was scheduled almost a month in advance, so I was given plenty of time to prepare. I was drilled on the ins and outs of social media for about half an hour. The person leading the interview was a SVP and clearly knew what she was doing. Another person in a senior position was also in attendance. It was fairly straight forward and I was never really caught off guard by any of their questions. They gave a written test at the end that was actually quite fun.

Interview Questions

• Name a successful social media campaign, and why would you deem it successful?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VaynerMedia (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied for a Community Manager position in November 2011 via the VaynerMedia website and had an interview in February 2012. I was told to dress casually, but was caught off guard by how casual the office really was. I interviewed with a SVP and two senior employees. The energy level of the three employees seemed really low, but the interview was scheduled for 5:30pm, so I suspect they may have been a bit tired from a long day. I was asked questions about favorite brands, favorite social media campaigns, etc. The SVP pretty much commanded the interview, but all three were very personable and easy going, despite their flagging energy -- lots of smiles all around! The only quibble I had was when I was asked (what I thought to be) an impolite question regarding an affiliation I had listed on my resume. Towards the end of the interview I was asked to take a social media "test." I followed up with the SVP in the following week and discovered I was no longer being considered for the role.

I don't know if I want to try for it a second go-round. I've heard many great things about VaynerMedia from different sources but some of the reviews on here seem scathing.

Interview Questions

• Name a brand you would most like to represent and explain why.   1 Answer