Via Transportation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Via Transportation Interview Questions

Interviews at Via Transportation

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Via Transportation (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I was sent a practice email and SMS text responses to complete.

For the second round interview, this was a phone interview with one of the current Community Managers with resume-based questions, etc.

Third round they invited me into the office to speak with three more people and finally the CEO of Via. They asked a variety of questions from resume-based things to more brainstorming questions. If I had moved on from the third round, they would have asked for my references.

Interview Questions

• With the expanding amount of members and thus the expanding volume of emails for each Community Manager, how would you handle this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Via Transportation (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I first applied for this job over Thanksgiving weekend and I just received my rejection e-mail today—in February, a day shy of 2 weeks after my in-person interview.

I was first contacted mid-December about setting up a phone interview, which happened a few days later. The person I spoke to was pleasant and seemed passionate about the company and the direction it was heading. After a lengthy chat, I received an e-mail with instructions for a writing test, due a few days later, which I completed in a timely fashion.

After 2 weeks of silence, I sent a follow-up e-mail and a date was set for an interview at their office, yet another 2.5 weeks away.

Finally, I sat for a 2-hour interview with 3 different employees (one at a time), fielding the same general questions each time. I was then told that everybody on the team liked me and that I would hear from them after the weekend about next steps.

I sent a thank you e-mail a few days later, but was met with more radio silence until earlier this afternoon, when I received a slightly-customized rejection letter explaining that my skills didn't fit their current needs. Considering I was told that they had hired a current college senior for the same job, this rang a bit hollow.

All in all, I'm disappointed with how long it took to get to this point. All of this could have been expedited without needlessly jerking me around for over 2 months. I get that they're a startup and probably are still figuring all of this out, but this felt a tad less than professional.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Via Transportation.

Interview

Very unprofessional interviewing process - received an e-mail with:

Dear [candidate_first_name],
    Thank you for the interest in the [position] position at Via.

This gave me a very poor impression of the company and the value the company holds for its potential employees. The interviewing/job process is a relationship that goes both ways, but clearly Via does not believe that. Needless to say, did not bother to continue with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Assignment asking interviewees to craft a weekly e-mail that is sent to the rest of the Via company and practice responding to SMS text messages from Via members.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Via Transportation (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

The initial phone interview was very positive and was genuinely a great conversation. I was asked about my previous experience and the interviewer seemed to truly care about what I was saying. BUT--when I interviewed in person, it wasn't as great. There was no space available, so we had to sit in the kitchen and talk next to the trash cans. Also, the interviewer asked more questions about my specific ideas for the business rather than about me as a candidate. It sort of felt like he was "quizzing" me the whole time and was just trying to see if I said what he was thinking of.

Interview Questions

• How can we market to drivers? What would you say if a driver wanted to quit? What can we do to improve the app? What are the pros of using everyday people for drivers over professionals?   Answer Question

Associate Principal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Via Transportation.

Interview

I received an email a few days after applying letting me know that I'd been selected for a phone interview. The interview ended up being the worse case of idea poaching that I've ever experienced. After the obligatory "tell me about your background", I was asked rapid fire questions about how they should approach specific problems that they're facing. Once the interviewer had gotten everything she could out of me, the interview was ended rather abruptly. I received an email a week later saying that they were unable to identify a fit for my background. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• How can we incentivize drivers to join us instead of the competition?   Answer Question

Strategy Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Via Transportation (New York, NY) in January 2019.

Interview

I never thought I would end up writing one of these but the hiring process at Via derivates from the norm. Via’s “phone screens” have interviewees be put on the spot with incredibly specific questions, which I believe not even a senior in the industry would be able to answer without proper exposure. As one other user mentioned I am not even sure if Via is even hiring for these positions, but rather just brainstorming at the cost of the prospective hires.

I also do not appreciate the slow processing rate and lack of feedback for any of my interviewing efforts.

Strategy Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Via Transportation in May 2019.

Interview

I was scheduled for my first introduction call a week after a recruiter reached out to me. I was surprised that the interview was not an introduction call at all- but a case study. I was asked zero questions about my resume, my experience, or even Why Via?
    Honestly, I was completely taken off guard by this approach. I have had many interviews in my time, none of which have started with the person on the other line boasting about their previous experience and education without asking me one question about myself. Utterly confusing.

Interview Questions

• Three KPIs a city would want to see in order to hold Via accountable after a probationary period   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Via Transportation.

Interview

Google hangouts with operations principal. I was asked many in depth questions about various ways I would try to increase Via drivers- which also happened to be the interviewer's focus at Via... Like a few of these reviews have stated I now believe it was a fishing effort on her part. On paper I am overqualified and I believe I did well in the interview, only feedback was they're pursuing other individuals. Oh well.

Interview Questions

• What metrics would you look at to recruit more drivers to Via? What other metrics? How would you use these data points? Any specific project you would work on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Via Transportation (New York, NY).

Interview

As previous reviews have mentioned, I felt drilled about the company's current problems and what I recommended to solve them. Felt they weren't actually looking to hire as opposed to fishing for ideas.

Interview Questions

• Questions on user and driver acquisition and expansion.   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Via Transportation in July 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with Via in DC this past month- it was a great experience and I was very hopeful. Until, after they used my answers from the analytics exercise (3rd round after two phone interviews each ~45 min long) to create a campaign. My exact ideas were taken, and just a few days after my rejection email, Via DC posted a part-time version of the job I had applied to. I'm guessing the DC office is not doing well enough to hire someone full-time.
    I was skeptical of people reviewing Via as a company that uses interviews to source ideas, but now I'm sure of it. It's not a great company to interview with right now.

Interview Questions

• How many drivers would we need on the road for X riders at Y time with Z minutes per ride?   Answer Question