Virgin Active Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Virgin Active Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2017

2.4

Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin Active in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received a text/ email a few days later telling me to book an assessment day. When I got to the interview I was told that not enough people had arrived for a group interview so they did 1:1 interviews instead.

Fitness Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I found the job advert on LinkedIn and applied via an online application form. I was then invited in for an interview a couple of weeks later.

Interview was in the cafe of a VA club. An initial overview was given, explaining a little more about the role along with the interview process.

During the interview I gave explanation of how I would identify strengths in the boutique fitness market and the larger chains approach to group fitness. I then gave explanation I how I would develop a unique group fitness format for the VA brand using both models.

Lots of notes were taken during the conversation and the interview seemed to be going well.

During the initial introduction I was told I would be given a tour of the club at the end of the interview and I should follow up with feedback on what I felt was good about the club and what I felt could be improved.

We came to the end of the interview, roughly about 60 minutes and I asked about the tour.

I was told to show my self around and not to spend too long with the feedback report. I just found this a little rude. Ok perhaps I hadn't ticked all the boxes but out of courtesy the tour could have been given. I just felt it was a negative and unprofessional way to end

I followed up with feedback and also thanked the hiring manager for his time. No personal response was received. Instead a generic we won't be continuing with your application from the VA job application software.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the success of a new fitness class   1 Answer
    • How would you grow awareness of the class   1 Answer

Junior Activities Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Twickenham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Virgin Active (Twickenham, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Two different interviews one from the General Manager and then the Regional Director for the role. The General Manager really got to know me as a person to see what I'm like and my work ethic asking me what I thought about the Virgin Brand. The Regional asked me more technical questions about the revenue line and how I would increase revenue and keep people safe.

Interview Questions

• What does the Virgin Brand mean to me?   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Found role via indeed and applied via website. Was 3 week before i was emailed a response asking for a 1 on 1 interview.

At the interview i was given a brief overview of the company and future plans. Role was explained in good detail, but wasn't asked too much about myself, Interview was held in Virgin Active Cafe

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      What experience do you have with Health and Safety?   Answer Question

Mar 16, 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thank you for posting your review, it's good for us to know your experiences and how these are perceived. We would normally hope to respond to applications a lot quicker than that, so it's a shame we... More

Fitness Coach and Personnal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Virgin Active (Nottingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I phoned to check if this was a mass interview and was told no there was a job and numbers would be small. There were 16 of a planned 20 turned up and i think another session after us. There is no reason for the numbers and you can only assume they go on what you look like, there was no facilitation for disabilities as the interview was up massive stairs after a walk though a very dark gym.
    There was a talk about how good virgin was and how good the guy was then a small group logic test which the guy really liked seeing some people not being able to do. We were told we would have to do press ups as a punishment for not completing the test.
    er really, you interview someone trying to get a job and then when its apparent they cant do it punish them. Group body language by the end was desperate to aggressive when told there were only 18 hours a week on offer at minimum wage. Although to be fair that includes 2 memberships @ about 60 quid a month which would make 8 hours a week a good number.
    The guy didn't even wish anybody well or thank them for coming just kind of congratulated himself on what a good job he had done.

Interview Questions

• Do you know when virgin was founded   1 Answer

Feb 22, 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thank you for posting this review, it's helpful for us to hear about how candidates experience our process. We do our best to make sure everyone has a positive experience with us, so it's a shame you... More

Front of House Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fulham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin Active (Fulham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was invited to a group interview (20 in total). Did group activities-gets you talking and seeing how you interactive with one another. Then after an hour - had one to one interview.

After two days, I was called in again as the manager of front of house wanted to "get to know me more" as she did not interview me in the previous interview. I was put forward by her manager (who interviewed me) for the second interview, however she needed to make the final decision if I was going to be interviewed for the role.

After visiting her, she told me she will be in touch after one week. I did not hear anything and I got in touch again to find out what was happening and she responded that she will be sending out emails if I got through to the 2nd interview.

Till this day, (after 4 weeks) I still not heard anything. Very disappointed as they sang praises about 'customer service' at virgin active and it seems they do not follow that rule for those who put hard work and effort to applying to the job.

Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview in 2 stages, introduction and psychological test followed by a practical session based on 2 minutes for every candidate.So practically every candidate showed their skills for 2 minutes and the other candidates do it and show if they are able to do what they preach.The people from Assessment Centre, Barbican Head Office was nice and acting very professional,

Interview Questions

• How can you convince other people in a difficult situation to get what you need?Part of the Psychological test.   Answer Question

Mar 16, 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thanks so much for your positive review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the session and were successfully appointed in the role! We work hard to create Assessments that are informative & fun, as... More

Membercare Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I was applied on the virgin active website, only had to express interest. I was invited to an interview a few days later. Your supposed to have 2 interviews: one with your potential manager, then another with your manager and the manager of the club. I only did one interview. it was fairly relaxed, 20 minutes long.

Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virgin Active (Sheffield, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

I was invited to a group assessment. Information was non-existent about it. We were 7 men (one of us arrived quite late).

The time there was all about Virgin and its BRAND. They mentioned at the beginning that we were going to be assessed on personality and active behaviour (maybe meaning that we had to speak before anybody else? as there was nothing about being "active"). There was a tour around the gym and someone of us mentioned that they (the assessors) reckoned they had not checked our CVs previous to this 'assessment'.

We were explained how the work was. Contract offered was 0 (zero) hours and we had to fish clients - Meaning we had to promote ourselves as crazy to sell our services. There was an expectancy for successful candidates to achieve 20 hours of PT minimum.

Everything seemed straight forward apart of their constant mention that successful candidates were going to be assessed on how they would fit in both clientele and existent staff. In other words the IMAGE of the PT was possible more important than their skills. I know why I say this. Therefore I suggest you to check some pictures of the people already working there and if your look is too different save your time and apply somewhere else.

Payment is a big thing to consider. You would get money after 2 months because clients pay to them and they pay to you; every month (around 28th) - but you have to work one month in advance. There is also a scale of payment... meaning that for one to be paid the highest (£25 ph) you have to do around 100h pm - and that is the top per hour you would get paid. There are 4 additional levels of payment under that one.

They offer 2 gym memberships and demand zero rent, which is very good indeed. Only factor in my experience is that they are too bothered or too pushed by senior managers (maybe) on the Virgin Brand image... you have to have it in your looks.

Towards the end of the process they promised to get back to us in a week as the general manager was away and they wanted to discuss with her the potential of every candidate. We finished around 1pm. I had an email in my inbox before 7am the next day saying that I had been unsuccessful and wishing me luck in the future:

"We assess candidates according to Activist behaviours, role competencies and various other considerations. After careful consideration..."

I emailed them back asking them what went so wrong with me as clearly there was something really bad that they dropped me out of contention straight away - They never got back.

My CV is good and so my level of energy. I responded fairly those questions listed down below. However my look was too different. I am from a minority group who happens to have beard, long hair and a few years more. Despite being good looking and fit I was too different from every member of the staff, plus being a foreigner that might upset some of their clientele?

I say this because that is the impression they gave with the way they handled my application. They could have waited until the day they said they would inform us candidates about the outcome after a comprehensive discussion with the general manager when back from annual leave.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a PT?   1 Answer

Mar 16, 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thank you for posting your review. Although it sounds like you didn't enjoy the experience, it is good for us to know about candidates receive the process, so we can make adjustments where... More

Club Lounge Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin Active (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

I had two ten minute interviews and was shown very briefly where I would work. And I started the following Monday every day for the first two weeks, then I was put to work alone from then on.

Interview Questions

• How many hours can you work   1 Answer