Voodoo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Voodoo

2.7

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo (New York, NY) in June 2019.

Interview

I got e-mail from General Manager of berlin studio. He said that they liked my artworks and if I wanted to apply to the game designer position.They asked for my e-mail then we get to the next step which was 30min ggl hangouts call.The interview was better than I expected.I said that I dont have any work experiences in game studios but they said that we know that,we still want to work with you.Next they sent me a test and the test duration was 1week but it was too much for a week I believe.I needed to reskin of one 3D and one 2D game.I was in hurry to create the test and I finished somehow but I wouldn't even hire myself with that.They e mailed me after a day and said we dont want to go forward with your application.My recruiter has changed during this test process.They didn't even say any reason.I feel really bad about the result and missing that chance.I really was willing to work at Voodoo.I sent e-mail to General Manager about 2nd chance but I haven't get any reply yet.

Interview Questions

Voodoo Response

Jul 30, 2019

Thank you very much for your feedback and the efforts spent on your application.
    It is unfortunate that the last step of our process was unsuccessful for you - We hope that it will not prevent you... More

Talent Acquisition Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo (Paris (France)) in December 2018.

Interview

The process went very fast, quick responding and structured steps, I always knew what would happen next.
    It all startet with me being contacted via LinkedIn. The next steps were Skzpe call, interview, and reference check. There was always a point of contact when I had questions so that all is clear. I felt very special, Voodoo wants to create a great candidate journey and I have had a very good time as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• What do you enjoy about being a Talent Acquisition Manager?
      Why Voodoo?
      What is missing in your current position, why are you looking for new challanges?   Answer Question

Jul 22, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback - We are glad that you enjoyed your recruitment experience !

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Voodoo (Berlin (Germany)) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied and one day later they sent me an e-mail to arrange a phone call. After this step they sent me a test, and on last step they invited me to their offices. Finally they didn't hire me but they have great recruitment team and process. I wasn't on my lucky day, I thought that the last step was just to meet and I thought that I've been already accepted. They paid my travel, they were very gentle during the process. I think, if there was a recruiter and someone who is not native English speaker, I would be get hired.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to analyze a game.   1 Answer

Jul 22, 2019

Thank you for providing us with this feedback - We’re happy that we’ve provided a positive experience and sincerely wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Game Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in May 2019.

Interview

12 days after applying I received an invitation for a non-technical phone interview. After the interview I received an assignment to clone one of their games and improve the visuals and user retention, with a deadline of a week. I thought it a bit weird to give such a long and vague assignment but I rolled with it. I created a game from scratch similar to one of theirs, changed the visuals a bit, and wrote a document on possible gameplay & visual improvements, and strategies to potentially improve user retention. I didn't dedicate full time for a week for the assignment, it doesn't make sense to work 8h/day for an unpaid technical assignment. I delivered all they asked: demo video, APK, document describing the game & suggestions, project source code and assets. I did not receive any kind of feedback, no acknowledgement of receival nor did they even download the archive with the files. Attempts to follow-up on technical assignment were met with silence.

Interview Questions

• Just questions about my experience, no technical questions of any kind.   Answer Question

Jul 22, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback - We have received many applications for this role and try to do our best to answer everyone as soon as possible, and are sorry to hear that we... More

Senior Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Voodoo (Paris (France)) in March 2019.

Interview

I did 1 interview: 1 first call with HR, then I was sent a task with a 48h time limit that I did, and never got offered an interview to explain my task.

I accepted the task because the app that was suggested to design wasn't any of their products.

However, many red flags happened during the process. The HR person was absolutely not reactive on the emails, intervals of 1 week past between our emails, I never got to talk with anyone in product team, no one really talked to me about technical skills.

Regarding the task, was quite ambitious for 48h. They wanted a UX and UI complete-final-design delivery, including a complete prototype.

I sent the task on time and waited and waited to a reply just to confirm that they received it. As this wasn't happening, I had to chase them, then they replied with a confirmation. I didn't get any more news for 10 days, and as I started to worry, I contacted them again. I got an automatic reply, they happened to be on a seminar.

I think is really disrespectful for any candidate. They felt entitled to put a time limit, arrogant enough to know that they are not gonna follow up at all because they had a seminar.

The worst is that after 2 weeks, they replied to say that I wasn't selected because they didn't like the functionality of a dropdown (in a whole app design) and the information written in the document wasn't enough. I think this is a really poor answer for the size and complexity of the task. Not to mention the fact that I never got to talk with ANYONE in the product team, and they had me working and talking with HR for everything, making me feel more the executor of free work, than a contact because they are interested in a personal level.

Interview Questions

• Questions with HR: the regular questions about process of working, experience, etc.   Answer Question
    • Second phase of the interview: Create an app in 48h, helped by 3 standard wireframes that a Product Owner could do.   1 Answer

Jul 22, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback - We are sorry to hear that we didn’t provide a better experience during your recruitment, we are fully committed to improve all of our... More

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Voodoo (Paris (France)) in March 2019.

Interview

Phone screen followed by a 2-day take-home test to several layers of product analysis on roughly 6 different games, saying what you liked/didn't like, and what you'd improve. Plus a presentation on how you would build and guide a game studio team.

This was followed by an on-site at their office, which was one of the strangest interviews I've been through. First I was flown in for a 1 hour on-site that could and should have just been a skype call. The two people in the room didn't seem to have read over my materials as when I presented them they were surprised by several points. At the end, there was no real opportunity to chat with the interviewers or get to know the company a little bit, I was simply walked to the door.

After weeks of silence I finally received a rejection for not hitting the mark on either the product analysis or the team structure components of the interview. Which they would have known ahead of time if they read my materials. They could have saved me roughly a month of my time.

During all of this, HR was extremely slow to reply to emails or answer questions. From start to finish it felt very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Voodoo Response

Jul 22, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how you felt about your interviews! Regarding your onsite interview, we strongly believe that meeting a person face to face is always better even if... More

Publishing Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo.

Interview

Fantastic process and a highly skilled team from sourcing, phone interview through to the final round.

I have rarely seen such great consistency in such a hyper growth business - great people.

Interview Questions

Voodoo Response

Jul 25, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here!

Publishing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo in May 2019.

Interview

More than one month after applying for a Publishing Manager position, I received an email offering a 30-min call. The call went well and the recruiter seemed professional. They presented the process (first call + written test + in-person interview with recruiter and current Publishing team and management). They assured me that things "tend to move fast" at Voodoo, so the entire process could be over in "3 weeks top."

After our call they sent the test for me to take, adding that although it was due a week later, it shouldn't take more than 2 days. The test tackled various aspects of the Publishing Manager job (providing feedback on mobile games, problem solving, inventing the follow-up game to a successful Voodoo game)

I sent the test back a few days later, and never received any feedback, or any kind of answer as to the process. I would not recommend this company, as I don't think they're respectful of their candidates' time and efforts.

Interview Questions

• On the phone: Why Voodoo? What appealed to you in this job offer in particular?

Test on various aspects of the Publishing Manager job (providing feedback on mobile games, problem solving, inventing the follow-up game to a successful Voodoo game)   Answer Question

Jul 22, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback - Despite our best efforts to respond to all of our candidates, we didn’t follow up on your application in a timely manner and we would like to... More

Senior Game Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo (Berlin (Germany)) in April 2019.

Interview

They respond very quickly after my application. There was a 30 min phone call at the beginning. They said they found my application very good and they wanted to send me a test work. I made that test work on my whole weekend. I send them back. They said, they really liked my result. They invited me to their office for a talk. I went there, they asked me simple questions and I replied everything right. They said to me, there will be another meeting with the company owner. I waited and they replied that they don't want to go forward with my application. :). They didn't give any specific reason about why they rejected? I found this really unfair after all my effort. I think the applicants shouldn't accept the test before invited to the office. It seems like voodoo collects ideas from the applicants. They are not really serious about hiring someone.

Interview Questions

• Tell us more about your background?   1 Answer

Jul 22, 2019

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate that you spent so much time on your application. The aim of our test is simply to help us evaluate your skills and understanding of our industry... More

Lead IOS Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo (Paris (France)) in July 2018.

Interview

Premier contact avec une recruteuse interne par téléphone.
    Ensuite un test technique à faire en distance, dans une durée de 48 heures.
    Dernière étape : rencontre avec un PM et un cofondateur sur place.

Interview Questions

• Duration: 2 days

1. Download Smiile app

2. Assess
      - Rate the UX from 1 to 5 (1 is bad, 5 is good), explain why
      - Rate the concept from 1 to 5 (1 is bad, 5 is good), explain why

3. Improve: You have to recreate some parts of the Smiile app. Recode the app from scratch and implement improvements. Do as much as you can, the goal is to show us parts of the new, improved app in order for us to assess your UX and technical skills, and not to recreate the whole thing. You can fake all data from the server and set it in the client.
      - Recreate the onboarding process (you can fake a fb connexion if you use one)
      - Recreate the menu (Delete features and tabs that you feel are useless, and explain why)
      - Find the right tradeoff between quantity and quality of what you build
      - Share your source code with us
      - Send us a Testflight or Diawi of your app

4. Conclude
      What apps have you used as inspiration?
      - Rate your version of the app's UX from 1 to 5 (1 is bad, 5 is good), explain why
      - Rate the quality of your code from 1 to 5 (1 is bad, 5 is good), explain why   Answer Question