Voodoo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Voodoo

2.7

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo (New York, NY) in June 2019.

Interview

I got e-mail from General Manager of berlin studio. He said that they liked my artworks and if I wanted to apply to the game designer position.They asked for my e-mail then we get to the next step which was 30min ggl hangouts call.The interview was better than I expected.I said that I dont have any work experiences in game studios but they said that we know that,we still want to work with you.Next they sent me a test and the test duration was 1week but it was too much for a week I believe.I needed to reskin of one 3D and one 2D game.I was in hurry to create the test and I finished somehow but I wouldn't even hire myself with that.They e mailed me after a day and said we dont want to go forward with your application.My recruiter has changed during this test process.They didn't even say any reason.I feel really bad about the result and missing that chance.I really was willing to work at Voodoo.I sent e-mail to General Manager about 2nd chance but I haven't get any reply yet.

Interview Questions

Voodoo Response

Jul 30, 2019

Thank you very much for your feedback and the efforts spent on your application.
    It is unfortunate that the last step of our process was unsuccessful for you - We hope that it will not prevent you from applying again to new opportunities at Voodoo. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Monetization Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Voodoo in September 2020.

Interview

The first is a Phone call - Two days test on Monetization strategy - Which beware, is not about Ad monetization.
    The HR asks during the phone call the deliverables to be PROFESSIONAL ( there's any other kind?)I received my feedback left in a voicemail.

Interview Questions

• The questions are not about monetization. First questions are about UX and the games itself, you can choose amongst four of them.
      Second comes retention, you need to provide a long term and short term retention idea, then one In app purchase idea and one of Ad Monetization.
      Then they want from candidates an INNOVATIVE idea for a global monetization feature.
      Then a competitive analysis with a game of candidates choice, which in my case they didnt like since it was a 'poor choice of the game' .
      The whole test has to be remade, for real, it's confusing and probably used for different type of jobs. At this point I am not even sure the position they offered is real.
      They for real EXPLOIT CANDIDATES. In normal companies to get a job you don't need to PAY your way in, you should demonstrate your skills and capabilities.   Answer Question

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Voodoo (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in August 2020.

Interview

They have a very supportive recruiter, so dealing with HR team was painless. They inquired about my experiences and they are one of the rare studios that see beyond the CV as the game industry is rather young and much of HR standards simply don't apply.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about the experiences in hyper casual gaming, but they were open to those with experience in casual games for mobile platforms.   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo (London, England (UK)) in August 2020.

Interview

30 min call with internal recruiter
    4 hour code test - 30 mins SQL test and rest of time on business case
    1 hour interview with Senior Data Analyst

The first recruiter call was 5 mins checking my understanding of voodoo and why I wanted the role then focussed on the code test and agreeing a time slot for it. The test itself was a good challenge - I used SQL but you could use excel. Was a realistic mock up of a gaming scenario. The next interview focussed on my technical experience and day to day projects.

At each stage I appreciated having a feedback call from the internal recruiter, and that when I was unsuccessful he shared constructive balanced feedback.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about voodoo and why do you want this role?
      What is your experience of ETL, a/b testing, data modelling?   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo.

Interview

I attended the initial interview with HR and I also did the technical test: 4 HOURS of TEST! They are a mid-small company not a corporate and they ask you to pass a 4 HOURS test! On top of it, it's a business case study with huge files, they take ages to download and to be able to work on those you also need to transform in Excel format (they share a CSV file.......) I never got a proper explanation why I did not pass it, very poor feedback..... A month is gone, and they are still looking for someone, meaning they are probably looking for the PERFECT candidate (which doesn't exist). HR doesn't have a formal and professional approach: I don't find 'emoticons' suitable for emails, even if you are a 'young' company (I never got similar communication from other younger and social companies).

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Voodoo.

Interview

It's a scam. HR called me(6 minutes call) minutes to ask to do big assignment. Playing 3-4 of Voodoo's game and come with ideas to improve the product feature, wireframes, monetization, and other product strategies. Case study given was JUST TO EXPLOIT CANDIDATES to use their ideas and work for the project.

I estimated that it would take at least 3 full working days(and nights as well) to complete this task. So, I refused to do the assignment. I applied for another 100+ jobs in 3 days and got 4 interview calls from better companies.

SHAME ON YOU VOODOO!

STOP EXPLOITING CANDIDATES BECAUSE THEY ARE IN DESPERATION TO FIND A JOB AND THE JOB MARKET IS REALLY BAD DUE TO COVID-19 SITUATION.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Voodoo (London, England (UK)) in July 2020.

Interview

Initial interview with HR

4 hours test. Easy one, but a lot of time spending on presentation and the other files documentation. In fact they read presentation only, even though all drafts they requested are completely missed out. In theory data set should have metrics they marked in the feedback, in fact it doesn't. Meanwhile i did a lot of notes about that in technical doc, but it seems like it wasn't read.

wierd and confusing in the end.

Game Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Voodoo (Paris (France)) in July 2020.

Interview

Very bad experience with the interview panel.
    Interview panel team doesn't know how to speak English.
    Please make sure to keep some who knows English properly in the interview panel if you guys are re recruiting for an International candidates.
    Please don't waste in conducting useless interviews

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo in June 2020.

Interview

Half and hour screening call, then received an extensive exercise to solve in 3 days with no compensation. Personally I think it was basically working for free because the exercise included things such as:

Downloading and playing 4 of their games
    Proposing market strategies for two of them
    Proposing new features that should be added for two of them
    Planning a detailed roadmap for said features

I refused to spend more than a day on something like that and later got a call telling me my answers where too vague (which is fair but I am not willing to spend more time on a company that does these kind of things to candidates).

Senior Game Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Voodoo (Paris (France)) in June 2020.

Interview

Probably the best interview process i've ever been through my entire life, in every stage of the interview, from the initial video-call, to the technical test and its respective feedback, to cultural fit, meeting managers and more, i met with incredibly inspiring humans that had an amazing sensibility and vision for this industry, they showed me and really made me feel the culture and spirit of the company, which only led me to be even more inspired.

The interview process including the different stages took a couple of weeks, it was enough time to cover all areas and meet each other ( which is a good thing ) the questions and tests are sharp / precise and challenging, i could tell how they really need to be sure you're a good fit for the company ( specially since this is one of the most challenging industries right now ).

For me, this had tons of value, it showed how they really care and how they notice every tiny detail. Apart from that but not less important, they were incredibly kind all the time and always kept in touch to keep me informed about the next steps, overall an amazing staff that only increases your desire to be part of the team. Wasn't expecting anything less from Voodoo!

Interview Questions

• According to you, which would be the next step for Voodoo?   Answer Question