Waddell & Reed Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Waddell & Reed Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

They will meet with you in person and ask you to come into the office if they think you can handle working there. Then you have to complete a massive essay describing everything about you and your past as well as where you want your target market to be, etc. After your accepted, you have to complete 300 market surveys before you become an advisor.

Interview Questions

• Are you prepared to put in the work to do whatever it takes to make it as a financial advisor.   Answer Question

OSJ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed (Kansas City, KS).

Interview

First interview went very well. 2nd interview was with hiring manager's boss. I didn't know what to make of him. He started right in with a sexist remark about the hiring manager, who was in the room. The look on her face and our collective silence spoke volumes. He then proceeded to grill me on random questions that seemed to have no bearing on the position or my ability to add to the team. He wanted to know about my coffee preference, what I knew about 'her' (the hiring manager--and the sudden way it was asked made it awkward), and he often asked me the same questions again later in the interview. The hiring manager actually had to stop him at one point and point out that he had done so again and again. Per the job description, I met every minimum qualification and exceeded many, but this was not reflected in his interviewing method. It was a very strange, aggressive interview. I finally had to directly ask him what he wanted. It made me less than excited about the prospect of working on his team, though the position itself was very interesting for me.

Additionally, the HR department was very slow and unresponsive, although nice once I met the HR lady in person.
    The hiring manager also stated that she had actually forgotten about my initial interview time, and was unprepared.

All in all, this was not a positive experience and I did not come away with a positive outlook on the company (going in, I had been warned by others in the industry). The takeaway is that if I can weather that kind of aggressive interview, I will be fine in similar situations.

Interview Questions

• What kind of salary I was looking for.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Interview

Not much of an interview process, really. Seems like they are initially interested in anyone. Of course, background and compliance are important to all the companies in this area. But I didn't get the idea they are very discerning.

Interview Questions

• Normal previous experience questions and who are your contacts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and quickly received an email inquiring about my availability for an initial phone interview. That initial interview was pretty basic and quick and I led to a second interview this time with a regional manager. That one was also not very particular, very few questions about assets or investment planning knowledge. They were much more interested in my motivation for the role, whether it would be a good fit in terms of my ability to bring in new business (its a selling job).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed (San Mateo, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The phone interview seemed pretty normal and came exceptionally quick.
    A very comfortable, chill interview environment, yet formal.
    The types of questions asked are pretty standard for an internship position.

Why do you want to work in financial advising?

Why Waddell & Reed?

Asks a bunch about your background, tell me yourself type of questions.

Overall, the phone interview would be a breeze if prepared for.

Interview Questions

• Why financial advising? Why our firm? Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Investment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed (Denver, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Informal talk with office manager to see if I might be a good fit, tell me about the process of building my own business with their support. It was an all-commission job, and I need a salary, as my husband's income fluctuates. Great opportunity for anyone looking to get into the business however.

Interview Questions

• Am I comfortable with a sales position   1 Answer
    • To speak about my experience in the investment advisory business.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Desert, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed (Palm Desert, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

i applied online and i received a call a couple of days later in order to go to a meeting. they explained to us what the program consisted of and then we did an interview. in my case even though i had a working permit they didn't let me work because i didn't have a green card

Interview Questions

• whether i was legal to work in the country or not   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Interview

listen to supervisor introducing the company, and the duties of the work. The first three month will be no paid and you have to pass 3 exams. The company is good and this is a really good start for someone who willing to pursue a job on Financial planning

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed (Kansas City, MO) in September 2016.

Interview

I was asked basic questions. He wanted to know my background. A lot of the interview was him telling me about the job, how it was structured and what needed to be done.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Interview

Pretty standard phone interview, in person with HR then in person with department manager. Questions asked were standard interview questions. It was an easy process overall and not high stress.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years. How can you contribute to this team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes you are able to negotiate