Washoe County Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 6, 2017

2.3

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Washoe County Schools (Reno, NV) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, was scheduled for a formal interview in their downtown office for a week after my application was submitted. You are interviewed by one person in a private office and answer interview questions. I was offered a position on the spot before leaving the office. I was fingerprinted the same day, and training was scheduled for the next week.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for this job?
      How do you think your presence would enrich the students' educational experience?
      In what capacity have you worked with large groups of people, or large groups of children?   Answer Question

Clerical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Washoe County Schools (Reno, NV) in January 2017.

Interview

I have been trying to get hired with WCSD for several months now, so that I can be on the same schedule as my kids. I've heard from several teacher friends that it's all about who you know, and WCSD pretty much already knows who they're going to hire, even before they post the job. After my interview experience, I 100% believe this to be true. I'm a current Administrative Assistant with the State of Nevada, and I'm well qualified for the 8 different jobs I have applied for. Usually, a week or two after the job closes, I get the same generic e-mail that the job has been filled, and to try again. However, on my 8th application, I finally got an e-mail to interview. The job closed on December 30th, and I was emailed on January 9th, and asked to interview on January 10th. My interview was scheduled for 3:45, but I arrived early, and I decided to check my e-mail in the car before I went in. Lo and behold, I received an e-mail from WCSD at 3:11 (34 minutes BEFORE my interview was scheduled to start) that the position was filled, please try again! Needless to say, I was quite upset. I went in and told the secretary that I was there for an interview, but I received an e-mail a half an hour ago that the position was filled. She went and spoke with the Principal, and then the Principal, Dean and Secretary, all took turns rushing back and forth between their offices with confused looks on their faces. Finally they brought me into the office and proceded to start the interview like nothing had happened. I politely mentioned the e-mail to the Principal, and she just laughed it off, and said "Oh, I don't know what that's all about, that's from the district, and who knows what they're doing!" We proceded with the interview, and I just figured it would be good "interview practice". At the end of the interview, the Principal told me she would call me back in the next day or so to let me know what decision they made. It's been almost 2 weeks since I've interviewed, and needless to say, I never heard back from anyone. I feel like I was just there to "check a box" so that they could say that they inviewed someone else for the job. This really upsets me. I took a half of a day off of work, and drove across town in a huge blizzard for an interview that was just a formality on their part. If that's their procedure, they should spare applicants the dissapointment, and at least have the decency to wait until AFTER other interviews to submit their choice to the district.

Interview Questions

• What is your background and education?   Answer Question
    • In this job you will have to ___, ___ and ____. What is your experience with this?   Answer Question
    • Do you have your substitute teaching license? ( For a Clerical Aide position?)   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Washoe County Schools.

Interview

Interview through Skype for 1st interview. Was relaxing ask regular questions about teaching. Lady giving interview was distracting, because she kept grabbing her drink. Internet connection was not that fast so she was little blurry to me.

class size

Equity and Diversity Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Washoe County Schools (Reno, NV) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was thirty minutes in length, a total of five questions. Most questions were typical interview questions. They wanted to know how much I knew about the school district and some problems the district faces.
    The room was messy with stacks of papers and boxes in every corner. The district apparently doesn't value this department.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

HR is not willing to negotiate hours or pay.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Washoe County Schools in August 2015.

Interview

The paperwork is the most difficult part. Complete the process and make sure you get all of your references. If you get a call for an interview, you will probably be hired.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you got to a classroom and the teacher did not leave sub plans?   Answer Question

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Washoe County Schools (Reno, NV) in August 2014.

Interview

Super easy. They're normally a panel interview and the questions are normally given to you before. Sometime a task will be given to you if they want you to prove the skills that you have as far as software. I have done a phone interview as well before and that was pretty straight forward. They're not biased at all which is great.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Washoe County Schools (Reno, NV) in August 2014.

Interview

The hiring process is a joke. I applied for one job and was strongly encouraged to interview for another more difficult job to fill. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember any of the questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't a negotiation phase. I interviewed for a job that nobody wants. It is a very hard to fill position and I took the job to get my foot in the door.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Washoe County Schools.

Interview

The interview process was tedious and time consuming. After leaving my previously tenured position in CA, I had to go through the same process as brand new teachers with no experience- an initial group interview, which was filmed, where we were asked to present a 2 minute lesson plan to our competitors. Bizarre. The board posed hypothetical scenarios for us to debate and in the end, we received very little feedback other than, "we'll be in contact if we like you, otherwise you can come back and try again in 2 years." I thankfully received the stamp of approval, but was then faced with the daunting reality of minimal jobs being available for "new" teachers (never mind the years of experience and a master's degree I worked so hard to get). Those jobs were reserved for WCSD inner-district transfers only.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to fill in as a sub until this position becomes available? (This means be paid as a sub for x amount of time.) Ouch.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Washoe County Schools in May 2009.

Interview

Principal contacted me for an interview, and I interviewed the next day in front of a panel of teachers and the principal. They called that afternoon to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• How do differentiate instruction for ell students and regular Ed students?   Answer Question