Waterstone's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Waterstone's Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2017

2.6

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in July 2017.

Interview

I emailed my CV to the store manager and exactly two weeks later I got called for an interview. The interview was unlike anything I had experienced before. Before I started answering questions, the interviewer gave me details of the job description and stated that they wanted to give the job to someone who saw working at Waterstones as something that would help them achieve their goals, rather than someone who was only interested in money. I was asked senario based questions rather than answering questions about myself and my previous job history.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to recommend books to a person who was not interested in reading, What did you say to convince them?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. What action did you take?   Answer Question
    • "Go Set A Watchman" sold more copies in Waterstones than on Amazon in 2016, why do you think this was?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Newcastle, England (UK)).

Interview

They ask you about your knowledge of books. You explain why you feel your strengths match what they are looking for. You then choose a book and approach a bookseller and explain what it is about and why you would recommend it to them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What skills do you bring to the position?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I went in to the store and spoke to the lady at the till who told me that I should wait for her to come back from telling the manager that I was downstairs. I was then told to look round the store for 5-10 minutes and choose a book of my choice that I wanted to recommend to the manager. The manager then came down, and took me upstairs to his office where we both sat down and he started asking me the questions. He had a paper file of lots of different questions where he was writing answers down to what I was saying, but not very much. I was then asked to recommend the book I had chosen to him and also he had chosen 4-5 books, I had to read the blurb of each one and find out what each was about and then choose one to recommend to him - bearing in mind I had never heard of any of them before! He then carried on with some more questions and at the end gave me an opportunity to ask him some questions - make sure you ask about the company and how it is keeping up with modern age, any events they hold etc... That was the end of the interview then, he showed me to the door out of his office to the shop floor and that was it! No goodbye or anything.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you have demonstrated excellent customer service?   1 Answer
    • Choose a book out of the pile I have given you and recommend it to me   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of when you haven’t used your initiative?   1 Answer
    • What do you think of the shop floor layout?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waterstone's (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I gave in my CV and a cover letter and spoke to the manager who seemed lovely. The next day I had a phone call in which we sorted out an interview for a few days later. It was quite a relaxed interview, we sat in the coffee shop they had there and talked about books. I thought the interview went well and she said she would call me over the weekend to let me know if I had it or not. Unfortunately I never heard back from her which I thought was a bit rude since she said she would call me back but I took it as I hadn't got the job!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to compare two tables, one at the front of the store with fictional books with lots of offers (e.g. 2 for 1) and a table at the back about sociology and psychology   1 Answer
    • What is your favourite book and why?   Answer Question
    • How do you think we select which books to face outwards on the shelves?   Answer Question
    • What book would you recommend to a man looking for a book for a child who he didn't know very well but he wanted to get her a present?   Answer Question
    • What books have influenced your life?   Answer Question

Temp Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Waterstone's in November 2016.

Interview

I dropped my CV off in store and was called back in under a week, asking me to come in for an interview the next day. My interview was very quick. There wasn't much small talk, we went straight into quick-fire questions. That being said, the interviewer was very nice and welcoming. At the end of the interview she offered me the job which starts in 2 weeks.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I had handed in my cv in store and they rang organising an interview. Me and some other applicants arrived on the day and we were asked to pick 3 books: one hardback and 2 paper back. These had to have some significance to us and we were told we were to sell them to the managers.

Seasonal Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waterstone's (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I gave my CV in to a member of staff and was emailed that same day offering an interview. The interview was three days later; I was told of the outcome two days later and started the next day. I was interviewed by the manager and another senior member of staff. It was quite informal

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer asked for a book recommendation?   1 Answer

Christmas Temp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Leicester, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Was asked to look around the store for about 10 minutes while I waited (I was early). Was interviewed by the manager of another store and a senior bookseller. They introduced themselves and explained the job hours. 5 hour contract but usually starts at 12 hours a week and increases towards Christmas. They asked a lot of questions about customer service and then went on to ask about books. The interview lasted about 30 minutes

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you have provided good customer service   Answer Question
    • When was the last time you were in our store and what was the customer service like   Answer Question
    • Why is it important to provide good customer service in this particular store?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any experience with visual merchandising?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you recommended a book to someone that they wouldn't normally read   Answer Question
    • What do you think are the best selling books in the last 12 months?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Kingston, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Was told by email to come for interview at the Kingston branch. Arrived 10 minutes before specified time, was told someone else was currently being interviewed. Was told to wait in shop by employee, waited 45 minutes whilst in that time someone else had gone in, no one came to find me to ask me I could go in, instead I had to go back to the counter and was told I could be seen shortly. Waited another 10 minutes for a manager to come out who didn't apologise for me having to wait nearly an hour, she then conducted the 'interview' on the shopfloor in full view of customers and employees. Didn't go in to specific details or ask any real interview questions, it was very vague and rushed, I felt like I was an annoyance for turing up. I found it completely disgraceful to be treated like this. Did not give out a good impression of the employees or the company.

Interview Questions

• Would you be able to work across different sites.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Waterstone's.

Interview

The interview was for a Christmas temp position and held abit like a speed dating. I spoke to two different people (moving from table to table) about different elements of the job. It was good and relaxed me being around other people being interviewed rather than a one on one situation.