West Marine Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at West Marine

2.2

Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watsonville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at West Marine (Watsonville, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Was contacted and invited to participate in a pre-screen call from an outside recruiter. If successful, that would have been followed up by an interview by a corporate representative over the phone, or in person at the corporate office in CA.

Interview Questions

• None asked - Canceled my initial phone interview 3 times due to scheduling conflicts.   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at West Marine.

Interview

Hiring is off-shored to a third party to evaluate before the manager ever sees you. The company does not trust its store-runners.

Interview Questions

• Would you turn in your (dead) grandmother if you caught her stealing?   1 Answer

Negotiation

get a higher salary and/or job title early, because you will not be promoted on merit.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at West Marine in February 2014.

Interview

Got called right after I applied and was interviewed the next day. Same day I was told I was hired. Questions were pretty straight forward, I was just myself, it helps if you have retail/marine background.

Stock Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at West Marine.

Interview

Brief questions, asking about my work experience and how much I knew about boating. Asked how my grades were in school. They also asked about my requirements to work there (Wage, hours etc.)

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at West Marine (San Antonio, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

I applied online, submitted a limited professional resume (I had only done landscaping and handyman work before), a boating resume (15 years boat ownership, experience with inboards, outboards, and ASA charter certification with multiple references across the country), and a short narrative describing my boating experience. The store manager called after a few days to schedule an interview on a Wednesday afternoon. I wore khaki pants and a blazer and was later told I was the best dressed interviewee they had seen in 9 years. The manager called with an offer to start Friday within an hour of me leaving the store.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions... I had no retail experience, so I was unfamiliar with some of the shipping/receiving/stocking terms and probably could have had a better answer to a question about shoplifting.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I accepted what they offered.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at West Marine.

Interview

The hiring process took close to 4 months, mainly due to how disorganized they were. They were ready to hire me and then said that it would have to be a few months before they could extend an offer, since they miscalculated their budget for that quarter.

Interview Questions

• Must have extensive boating knowledge and experience, which I do, but most people probably do not.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was an offer, take it or leave it. It's based on your knowledge and experience. If I had to do it again, I would negotiate for more money, or walk..

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watsonville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at West Marine (Watsonville, CA).

Interview

After setting up calls on two different occasions with HR, but never actually getting a call, the team manager sent me an email, unaware of the two prior attempts. A quick phone call followed his email then an in person interview. Interview was a pointless waste of time. Team I interviewed with was in restructuring turmoil, and rather condescending. Got the feeling I was brought in by the manager to make a point after several members of said team departed due to said turmoil. One team member didn't show up to my interview. Unpleasant atmosphere and noticeable hostility towards their manager. Manager only asked one job related question. Interview was two months ago. Have not heard from them since! Most unprofessional experience/interview of my career. I've never heard of a company just not informing a candidate of a hiring decision.

ALSO - Just FYI to candidates.... I arrived 45 minutes early to scope the place out. Location is less than noteworthy in an aging corporate office park, not near food/entertainment. Employees are not techies - if you are a tech worker and enjoy it - look elsewhere. Lots of corporate complacency and folks in roles they're not qualified for.

Was asked if I knew what "agile" meant and if I knew anything about it.... They were shocked when I said yes... And this was for a digital role...

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at West Marine (Pensacola, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

I was called the day before my interview and was asked to come into the store. The store manager brought me to the office and asked me a couple of questions. At the end of the interview, she asked me if I had any questions of my own. She was happy when I asked her why she loves working at West Marine. We shook hands and she seemed very delighted.

Interview Questions

• One thing she asked me was, "If you had a line of customers, the phone is ringing, a customer is asking you for help, and customers are coming in the door, in what order and how would you approach the situation?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Pierce, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at West Marine (Fort Pierce, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

When going in for my interview with the store manager the girls up front were very polite and let him know I had arrived. I had no problem going to the managers office and having the 1:1 conversation about past employment, why I left, and obvious questions such as if I smoked, and what days I'd be willing or not willing to work.

Interview Questions

• General questions were asked such as do I smoke, what days would I be willing to work? Which days would i need off? If there was anything I'd be opposed to working such as mornings or evenings? Past employers? Why'd I leave there?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at West Marine (San Diego, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received a call to come in for an interview about a week later. At the interview it was 2 members of management, another girl applying for the position, and myself. The questions asked were relatively basic: Why do you want to work here, what type of experience do you have, tell us about yourself... That kind of thing.

Interview Questions

• None. The questions were are all pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Take it or leave it.