West Marine Interview Questions | Glassdoor

West Marine Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2017

2.3

Stock Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at West Marine.

Interview

Brief questions, asking about my work experience and how much I knew about boating. Asked how my grades were in school. They also asked about my requirements to work there (Wage, hours etc.)

Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watsonville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at West Marine (Watsonville, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Was contacted and invited to participate in a pre-screen call from an outside recruiter. If successful, that would have been followed up by an interview by a corporate representative over the phone, or in person at the corporate office in CA.

Interview Questions

• None asked - Canceled my initial phone interview 3 times due to scheduling conflicts.   1 Answer

Order Management Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at West Marine in June 2017.

Interview

Initially spoke to HR person who felt I was qualified and i would forwarded to hiring manager for next step. I inquired about the skills & experience they were looking for in a candidate. Response was heavy management skills and experience.

During 2nd phone interview with the manager I was given a general overview amd asked a couple of questions. Interviewer didn't seem to know much about the prcesses or tools/software used, and didn't seem prepared for the interview. After I ran out of questions, I was asked if i had any questions. End of interview.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at West Marine (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Came in for a cashier position and they offered me a mgmt position due to my experience. I had offers from 2 other places so I called her back and told her I want the job and if she was interested I could start on Monday. She said come on in.

Interview Questions

• not really interview questions, mostly was asking about my experience, why west marine   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fort Pierce, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at West Marine (Fort Pierce, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

When going in for my interview with the store manager the girls up front were very polite and let him know I had arrived. I had no problem going to the managers office and having the 1:1 conversation about past employment, why I left, and obvious questions such as if I smoked, and what days I'd be willing or not willing to work.

Interview Questions

• General questions were asked such as do I smoke, what days would I be willing to work? Which days would i need off? If there was anything I'd be opposed to working such as mornings or evenings? Past employers? Why'd I leave there?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at West Marine (Pensacola, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

I was called the day before my interview and was asked to come into the store. The store manager brought me to the office and asked me a couple of questions. At the end of the interview, she asked me if I had any questions of my own. She was happy when I asked her why she loves working at West Marine. We shook hands and she seemed very delighted.

Interview Questions

• One thing she asked me was, "If you had a line of customers, the phone is ringing, a customer is asking you for help, and customers are coming in the door, in what order and how would you approach the situation?"   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Somers Point, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at West Marine (Somers Point, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

I filled out an application online and the store manager called me when my phone was off. Since he could not reach me on my phone, he emailed me asking for me to respond to set up an interview. The interview itself was very easy and smooth. I went in 2 days in later for my interview. I waited about 20 minutes when I went for my interview because my manager was working with a customer. When we finally got to interviewing, it was very relaxed and I didn't feel nervous. This was my first job interview and I've never worked or anything before, I'm 17. He first asked me to tell him about myself and my hobbies and he was listening and attentive. I had informed him that I live an hour away from the store but my high school is directly across the street and I have a car. I also told him that I'm 17 and have no job experience or knowledge, but I have a strong interest in learning and a love for marine life. It was very good for a first interview.

Interview Questions

• How will you meet your sales quota and get people to apply for memberships?   1 Answer

Order Selector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rock Hill, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at West Marine (Rock Hill, SC) in April 2016.

Interview

After application filing and a brief walk through of the warehouse am interview was schedule at end of her shift to speak on the orders of procedure and what was to be expected of me

Interview Questions

• Will I be able to work long hours more than 8   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at West Marine (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in December 2015.

Interview

Professional and in depth interview. Location was looking for a responsible assistant manager to grow the employees and the stores revenues. Solid management and leadership skills needed. Looking for a well rounded manager focused on the customer experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would enhance the customer experience   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was fair and equitable in terms of compensation, work hours and benefits. Overall experience was positive. Appears to have some very professional managers

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at West Marine.

Interview

Laid back and easy/ Typical question about previous experience and why you want to work with this company. There were question about boating experience. A lot of the question go off of the application. remember what you say.