West Marine Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 13, 2017

2.3

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Pierce, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at West Marine (Fort Pierce, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

When going in for my interview with the store manager the girls up front were very polite and let him know I had arrived. I had no problem going to the managers office and having the 1:1 conversation about past employment, why I left, and obvious questions such as if I smoked, and what days I'd be willing or not willing to work.

Interview Questions

• General questions were asked such as do I smoke, what days would I be willing to work? Which days would i need off? If there was anything I'd be opposed to working such as mornings or evenings? Past employers? Why'd I leave there?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Somers Point, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at West Marine (Somers Point, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

I filled out an application online and the store manager called me when my phone was off. Since he could not reach me on my phone, he emailed me asking for me to respond to set up an interview. The interview itself was very easy and smooth. I went in 2 days in later for my interview. I waited about 20 minutes when I went for my interview because my manager was working with a customer. When we finally got to interviewing, it was very relaxed and I didn't feel nervous. This was my first job interview and I've never worked or anything before, I'm 17. He first asked me to tell him about myself and my hobbies and he was listening and attentive. I had informed him that I live an hour away from the store but my high school is directly across the street and I have a car. I also told him that I'm 17 and have no job experience or knowledge, but I have a strong interest in learning and a love for marine life. It was very good for a first interview.

Interview Questions

• How will you meet your sales quota and get people to apply for memberships?   1 Answer

Order Selector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rock Hill, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at West Marine (Rock Hill, SC) in April 2016.

Interview

After application filing and a brief walk through of the warehouse am interview was schedule at end of her shift to speak on the orders of procedure and what was to be expected of me

Interview Questions

• Will I be able to work long hours more than 8   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at West Marine (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in December 2015.

Interview

Professional and in depth interview. Location was looking for a responsible assistant manager to grow the employees and the stores revenues. Solid management and leadership skills needed. Looking for a well rounded manager focused on the customer experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would enhance the customer experience   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was fair and equitable in terms of compensation, work hours and benefits. Overall experience was positive. Appears to have some very professional managers

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at West Marine.

Interview

Laid back and easy/ Typical question about previous experience and why you want to work with this company. There were question about boating experience. A lot of the question go off of the application. remember what you say.

Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at West Marine (Watsonville, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First the interviewee will have a phone interview with HR, pretty simple just fact checking the resume. Then the interviewee is asked to take a Caliper aptitude test online (about an hour long), the results will show your character and how well you fit for the job based on a certain profile from the test.
    Job interviews within the Merchandising Department are done as a panel. Normal interviewers include HR, the Hiring Manager (Divisional VP), Current Merchandise Planners, Category Managers (Buyers), Divisional VP of Merchandising and the EVP of Merchandising. Interviews are usually in 30 minute blocks with two people interviewing the individual at once. After the interviews are done the panel will meet and provide their feedback to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• - How is the smartest person you know and why?
      - What environment do you not work well in?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Asked for more money, Company came back with a little increase. There is a lot more to get if you negotiate well.

Assistant Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at West Marine (Watsonville, CA).

Interview

Initial phone interview followed by the Caliper test. The Caliper test isn't easy at all. If you score well you will be interviewed in person. If not - nope. If you are somewhere between great and not so great, you may be interviewed but a large amount of the decision is based on the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Have you been in a West Marine Store?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at West Marine (Newport Beach, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and called the store a couple of weeks later to follow up and was invited in by the GM for an interview. Interview was very easy, they were impressed with the detailed application and wanted to understand my boating experience. Was clear that I had the position before the interview itself.

Interview Questions

• What boating experience do you have?   1 Answer

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at West Marine (Watsonville, CA).

Interview

Total process took 5 months and 3 visits to HQ, no difficult questions if you're a decent Buyer. Met with all Senior Leadership and C-level execs once. Spent time in local stores with Hiring Manager and SVP discussing future business opportunities. Overall, everyone was very personable and positive about the future growth of the company. I wore a suit but this is a very casual environment so Business Casual would have been better.

Interview Questions

• What is your personal boating experience?   1 Answer
    • Do you smoke? (HR question)   2 Answers

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at West Marine (Washington, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Very simple. Asked easy questions, discussed past jobs and experiences. Asked about boating experience and knowledge. Put application in beginning of year, didn't get called in for an interview until 2 months later. Phone scripts are a plus/previous sales experience.

Interview Questions

• Q: What do you consider to be the most important aspect of a retail store?   Answer Question