WestEd Interview Questions | Glassdoor

WestEd Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2017

3.1

Interview

The interview process was long and tedious. There were many interviews scheduled and long periods of waiting in between interviews. I met with every person that I would expect to interact with plus HR people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WestEd (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and the process took about two weeks. I interviewed at WestEd (Redwood City, CA) in April 2017. Unfortunately, I was surprised to know that the recruiting team decided not to hire anyone, and just shift around the duties of the advertised Administrative Assistant position –
     to be assumed instead by a current staff member. The sudden move to a different direction was quite confusing and discouraging.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at WestEd (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Formal interview with department director. I also had the opportunity to meet with various members of the project team, and the human resources director. I was asked to come back for a second, longer interview with the project director, and this included going out to lunch.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to do excellent work?   1 Answer

Human Resource Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WestEd (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Once selected for an interview, the process was pleasant and straight forward. Mostly they want to understand you skills and how they apply to the position. None of the questions were meant to be tricky.

Interview Questions

• For this position I did a lot of research online that was basic for Human Resources. The questions were spot on.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at WestEd (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The whole interview process was streamlined and organized by HR. There were a total of 3 interviews that were conducted in 2.5 weeks. The 1st interview was a 30 minute phone chat, the 2nd interview was 2 hours with 1 finance manager, and 1 financial analyst that is already in this role followed by a 30 minute excel test, which was fairly straightforward. After passing the 2nd interview, I was invited for the final interview conducted by 1 Director and 1 Associate Director/Senior Research Scientist, who have both been there for 10+ years combined. For the final interview, I was fully prepared, but when the final interview began, I have to say that both of these interviewers were negative and "old school" in their approach, when it came to accommodating a young interviewee's value proposition, energy, drive and fresh outlook to the role. From their facial expressions, they only had the look of how can we eliminate this candidate. I answered all of their questions with clearly defined answers, and succinctly outlined how I can add significant value on each function of the position, and more. Moreover, I asked them relevant questions to the role and organization; yet, they didn't seem excited to even discuss their long career experiences with WestEd. As the young interviewee, I come from a financial and a successful non-for-profit background, with excellent references. Overall, WestEd is a great organization, but they definitely need to accommodate fresh perspectives because they do have older people in their leadership roles, who are not willing to invest in their future with young people, and overly bureaucratic from what I observed. WestEd will need to enforce their Equal Opportunity Employment guidelines properly, as I believe their leadership is not adhering to these guidelines currently, especially as an organization that supports education, adults, YOUTH, and children.

Interview Questions

• As a financial analyst, how do you keep a tab on your projects and detailed financials?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at WestEd (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Streamlined, quick responses, I was never left hanging for a response. I like how we have a Skype interview to get to know more about the position before being invited to come into the office.

Interview Questions

• What past administrative experience do I process that would help me succeed at this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WestEd (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Temp to perm conversion., Hired through Alain J Blair then converted at six months. Had to interview nonetheless with my managers and the head of dept. 1;1 interviews checking skills, some behavioral type questions. Lot of emphasis on attention to detail and ability to follow established process. Also much emphasis on need for confidentiality within that particular department.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at WestEd.

Interview

The employer does a screening of all resumes and cover letters that interest them and start with phone interviews. For those that are viable, they are asked to come in for an in person interview. Having interviewed for two positions, I can say that each one was very specific to who was in charge of hiring or who the interviewee would be reporting to. There was also some testing of skills thay were relevant to the job.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WestEd (Boston, MA).

Interview

Asked for a writing sample and then they asked me in for an interview. It was a traditional panel interview. They asked great stimulating questions that were relevant to the job description, nothing too out of the ordinary, but definitely be prepared to talk about your research experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a teacher who no longer wanted to participate in one of our research projects?   Answer Question