Western Union Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Western Union

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western Union.

Interview

One telephonic interview that lasted for 15 minutes, then one webcam coding interview that lasted for half an hour after a week and one HR discussion over the phone to discuss about the salary.

Interview Questions

Western Union Response

Mar 6, 2020 – Sr. Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your review of your interview experience. Welcome to the Western Union family! We're glad you're now part of the team. -James Stirling, Head of Executive Talent Acquisition

IT Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Union (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2020.

Interview

1 - 30 minute interview poor questions on projects, technical challenges or ability to manage remote talent. Interviewer with 3 others chatting in the background. Advised HR would advise in 3 wks status. NEVER HEARD ANOTHER THING FROM RECRUITER OR WU.

Interview Questions

• how long is a sprint? what do you say to a client that complains the solution isn't what was asked for? do you know what "BON" means in Agile? supposed to have been "KANBAN" - terrible interview questions.....   1 Answer

Jul 2, 2020 – Sr. Communications Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your recent interview experience at Western Union. We're sorry to hear that you feel you had a negative experience while applying for a role in the company. As we continue to work on creating a world-class candidate experience, we will share your feedback with our team and take action to address the concern raised in this review. - Deb Howington, Leader of Global Talent Acquisition

Data Science Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Western Union.

Interview

Really casual, all behavioral. Talked about projects that I had done in the past. Asked some questions about where I want to be in x years. Only one interview in total. Didn't feel like I was under a lot of stress during the entire recruiting process.

Interview Questions

Western Union Response

Feb 14, 2020 – Sr. Communications Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your interview experience with us. We are thrilled to hear that you had a positive experience, and we are excited that you are now part of our Western Union family! The very best of luck in your #WUCareer! -James Stirling, Head of Executive/Global Talent Acquisition

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Union in January 2020.

Interview

Overall, the interview process was not very respectful of the candidates' time. I underwent 2 phone screen, then was asked to prepare a presentation covering how I would approach my first 100 days with the firm. After submitting my slides, I was informed that I was not to actually present it during the interview, but rather the interviewers wanted to read it in advance.

The onsite interview left a lot to be desired. I was escorted to a conference room, where 4 parties were waiting. They did not introduce themselves, nor explain their roles with the company.

What was immediately noticeable was the unfortunate impact that a lack of diversity and awareness had on the interview process. For example, one interviewer flipped through my presentation slides (which stated that I would stay away from making immediate changes outside of my standard job duties, and rather focus on learning the inner workings of the company, relationship-building, and building the influence necessary to effect broader impact in the long term). After flipping through it, she said, "you don't say in here that you would do any work. You do realize that you would have to do actual work if you came here, right? We wouldn't let you just sit around and talk." Obviously, this was very offensive to me, particularly as a woman of color (as we carry the stereotypes of lack or work ethic and a desire to be on welfare). It was simply bizarre and shocking that an interviewer would assume that a candidate with nearly 20 years of progressive leadership experience, excellent references, and a strong history of impactful successes would not to do their job if hired and I took it to be evidentiary of a bias.

Another interviewer told me that I would be a challenging hire, given that I "would have to learn the financial services industry from scratch" and that "we have things to consider such as compliance that would be new to you." It was as if she had never bothered to even glance at my resume, which detailed my nearly 20 years of experience in the financial services industry - nor had she listened as I walked the group through it. A third interviewer shared that it would be challenging do me to act on a global scale, despite my having operated globally in the past and that I speak several languages. Overall, there were several shocking moments that made this interview a very unfortunate experience and which left me with the impression that it would be very difficult for candidate of my demographic to be successful in the role.

I still politely asked a few standard questions, including what next steps would be, and was told that I would have to schedule more time to come in to meet with another interviewer on another day, which I did not feel would considerate of the time of candidates. I personally wouldn't have several days to schedule for each firm that I'm considering. However, some could only be a candidate with one firm and be willing to schedule several days off for multiple onsite interviews with a single firm.

Given that I that the experience was negative and I had already received an offer from another firm and had another in progress, I was no longer interested in considering this role after meeting them onsite. I later received a voicemail from the recruiter advising me that I was not selected to move forward, anyway.

Interview Questions

Western Union Response

Jan 31, 2020 – Sr. Communications Coordinator

On behalf of the Talent Acquisition Team, we are sincerely disappointed to hear that you had a negative experience with your interview panel. We take all feedback seriously and we will definitely share your concerns with our talent acquisition teams, so they can help influence positive changes with hiring managers and their panels. We wish you the best in your career aspirations. - James Stirling, Head of Executive Talent Acquisition

Tax Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Western Union (Denver, CO) in January 2020.

Interview

Reached out via LinkedIn by sourcer/recruiter for role. Had a couple of initial screening calls. Recruiter set up phone interview with manager. Phone interview went fine--I had researched more about WU for role. I asked for potential timetable (2 weeks) to hear back. Then it appears I have been "ghosted" after no feedback or update on my status, even after follow-up with recruiter. Would have appreciated some feedback or response as a common courtesy as I was interested in the role.

Interview Questions

Western Union Response

Mar 6, 2020 – Sr. Communications Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your interview experience at Western Union. We're sorry to hear about what you experienced while applying for a role in our company. We will share this feedback with our Talent Acquisition teams to ensure better communication throughout the candidate journey. As we strive to create a better candidate experience globally, we will take action to address the concern raised in this review. - Roberto Golcher, Talent Acquisition Leader

Project Management Analyst - Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Union (New York, NY) in January 2020.

Interview

I got a call from a recruiter who took a initial screening interview and schedule a Face 2 face interview panel at Pune location.
    Interview discussion was very smooth. Interviewer was very good and polite person.I was being offered to have snacks or tea before the interview. Interview last for around 45 minutes. It was great experience for me interact with interviewer.

Interview Questions

Western Union Response

Feb 14, 2020 – Sr. Communications Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your interview experience with us. We are happy to hear about your positive interview experience. We will be sure to share your feedback with our talent acquisition team as we constantly look for ways to enhance our candidate experience around the globe! - Roberto Golcher, Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Systems Analyst Interview

Interview

Joined the company as a contractor and converted to a full time employee. During the initial client interview, I had one telephonic and one face face to interview with the client.

Interview Questions

• Case study about a project and asked system design, architecture and data flow approach   Answer Question

Aug 16, 2019 – Company Representative

We are glad you are part of the WU family! We are very happy that you were able to transition into full-time with us. Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western Union.

Interview

I was a little apprehensive when I applied because WU has a reputation for sending jobs to India. The first thing the interviewer said was the manager was thinking of sending the job "international" but the final decision hasn't been made. We then went through the motions of the phone screen. The phone screen was pleasant enough, nothing out of the ordinary. They informed me a week later that the job was going "International". I guess I'm lucky they didn't hire me and offshore my job a year later. I wonder if the hiring manager's job will get offshored too.

Interview Questions

Western Union Response

Mar 18, 2019 – Company Representative

We appreciate hearing your perspective. Given we are globally-minded, we’re constantly reviewing key market considerations for where our jobs should be located and the demand for the roles we need to achieve our business results. We value the time and effort each candidate gives during their interview process and appreciate the feedback you have shared.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Interview

Felt a bit bait and switch and a misunderstanding of behavior vs. work flow. Recruiter was pushy for a call back. Didn't really feel the fit or vibe in the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you utilize your skills to fit into our roll? Unexpected because they had my resume in front of them.   Answer Question

Feb 25, 2019 – Company Representative

We are sorry to hear of your interview experience. We will be sure to share your feedback with our talent acquisition team as we work to improve our candidate experience.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Western Union (Denver, CO).

Interview

Recruiting was responsive. Many of the interviewers seemed excited about being part of fintech, but it seemed to be mostly good intentions without any actual plan to move from a traditional company to a fast moving high tech one.

Interview Questions

• The interview focused on whether I knew how to prepare decks of materials for management meetings. Nothing was asked on people or communication skills, industry knowledge or strategy development. Seemed odd for a Vice President ... of Strategy opening.   Answer Question

Feb 25, 2019 – Company Representative

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We appreciate hearing from all of our candidates as we work to improve the interview experience across the organization.