William Blair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 14, 2017

2.9

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

The interview was okay; everyone at the firm was very nice. 2 rounds of phone interviews followed by an on-site superday in Chicago headquarter; 6 rounds of intense interviews on the final round.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Easy, no organized structure Met with HR, and a couple of IT managers. Discussed enviroment and future needs. Was offered a position the next morning. I negotiated more vacation time successfully.

Negotiation

Private Client Advisor Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I spoke with HR once just running over my resume, then my direct boss for the summer contacted me over the phone. He asked mostly personality questions. He waiting for me to contact him twice before he responded (He told me later this was a test of my client relation skills). Then I was brought to Chicago to have a face-to-face. About three weeks later I got the call that I got the internship.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the markets?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

On campus recruiting with 2 of the analysts. Got invited to a super day 3 days later, which consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews with mostly MDs. People were really friendly and easy to talk to, they really emphasize on the culture.

Interview Questions

• Very fit-based questions. Why banking? Why Blair? Why Chicago?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

It is 2 phone interviews and 1 in person interview. Very difficult interview with many technical questions. Spent 3 minutes talking about my resume and the rest of the time was spent asking technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do we use a discount rate and what discount rate would you use in a real life situation?   Answer Question

Research Librarian Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at William Blair.

Interview

The interview was cordial and professional. I interviewed with both the recruiter and the hiring manager. The hiring manager provided a detailed description of the job environment and responsibilities and was interested in my experiences and how they related to the position. The recruiter asked behavioral interviewing questions. Direct experience in a similar position was very important to the hiring manager. In lieu of that, specific grad school courses for newly minted MLIS students.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult thing you've ever had to do professionally?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at William Blair (Champaign, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Went through my resume first, and then asked some basic behavioral questions, asking why and some other situations. The recruiter was very nice and he talked about some of his experience

Interview Questions

• Why William Blair? What's your understanding towards investment banking?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at William Blair.

Interview

One interview. They did not ask anything out of the blue. Mostly talked about background, a couple leadership questions and that was it. They were in need of help and probably still are

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Sent an application in off cycle. I was contacted by a recruiter who ran a first round phone screen, asking about my background, experiences etc. The next round was over the phone with the head trader of the desk. He was polite and friendly. He asked some basic technical questions to test your fluency in the markets. Beyond that it was mostly conversational, really scoping out how well you can get along.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at William Blair.

Interview

Phone interview with an Associate/VP in the office, followed by an in-person 5-6 round interview (superday). Everyone I spoke with was extremely nice and friendly, and they seemed to have a great office culture. Be prepared, technical questions were quite difficult. Also be prepared to talk about trends in the market, any companies and their transactions that you have been following, and why you want to do investment banking.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through an LBO, explain the different valuation methodologies, which industry group(s) are you interested in and why, tell me about your background, why Blair, etc   Answer Question