William Blair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Investment Banking - Summer Analyst 2019 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in April 2018.

Interview

Interview process was exceptional compared to a lot of other larger banks I was recruiting for. Began with reaching out to many different analysts prior to application opening. Once the application opened, immediately applied, completed the Koru questionnaire, and received email for first round phone interview about a month later. After a week, I was invited to superday at their Chicago office. Superday consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews with mostly partners and MDs. Fairly difficult interview, but all extremely nice people (and gorgeous office). Received a call about 2 hours later with my offer.

Interview Questions

• What are three words to remember you by when I walk out of this room? Why Chicago? Why WB? Must have an extremely strong and well-polished "tell me about yourself/walk me through your resume" answer.   Answer Question

Jun 12, 2018 – Culture & Talent

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy that you had a good interview experience. We see that you accepted our offer. We look forward to having you join our team next... More

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

- Phone Interview (1 month after applying) - great discussion, nothing out of the ordinary.
    - In-person interview (2 months after applying) - HR communication was flawless before interview, travel logistics and lodging were impeccable.

Everything went well until I showed up for the interview. With my background, I figured I would be a great fit for the role. Unfortunately, it wasn't until the hiring manager saw me in person that questions about whether I really wanted the position and if it would be a good fit came up. I have a feeling that this was a case of hiring discrimination, but of course this is something that can hardly ever be proven (and companies know this). I should note that everyone was kind; whether feigned or genuine, I'll never know.

With that said, I didn't interview with or notice any black employees in the office; however, was informed (without asking) that there was one analyst. While it is common, in my field, to rarely see others who look like me, I generally accept that there is fierce competition. However, I discovered that the person who was hired had fewer years of education and post-graduate work experience, but was white.

Interview Questions

William Blair Response

Oct 26, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you taking the time to share your interview experience. At William Blair, we strive for a consistently positive interview experience for all candidates. It is unfortunate to hear your... More

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Sent an application in off cycle. I was contacted by a recruiter who ran a first round phone screen, asking about my background, experiences etc. The next round was over the phone with the head trader of the desk. He was polite and friendly. He asked some basic technical questions to test your fluency in the markets. Beyond that it was mostly conversational, really scoping out how well you can get along.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

Typical IB interview except easier. Simple technical questions (DCF, valuation analysis, etc). Nearly all fit. Why William Blair? Why Chicago? Some accounting questions. All easy. If the guys there like you as a person, you'll be hired.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL).

Interview

easy and straight forward, no trick questions and with good follow up by Blair. Talked with about 7 people, all very nice and seemed happy to be working at the firm. Seemed like a very educated crowd. Midwest nice but smart and well informed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

On campus recruiting with 2 of the analysts. Got invited to a super day 3 days later, which consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews with mostly MDs. People were really friendly and easy to talk to, they really emphasize on the culture.

Interview Questions

• Very fit-based questions. Why banking? Why Blair? Why Chicago?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I was asked to participate in a phone interview. Next, they had me come into the office for an interview with different managers within the department. I met with three people that day, each individually. I understand that larger companies have the leverage to be more cutthroat in their hiring process, but I honestly found the interviews cold and intimidating. No matter the size or success of the company, hiring is a mutual decision, even for an internship position, and the joys of working at William Blair were never expressed to me. I was told about the business but nothing about the corporate culture or anything enticing about working there. After the first interview, there was a month long lag before my second interview where I waited for my interview to start 20 minutes late and then only last 10 minutes. I was not given the job and can admit that I was under qualified but now, after working in HR and conducting interviews myself, I have realized how inhospitable the people at William Blair were throughout the entire interview process.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Easy, no organized structure Met with HR, and a couple of IT managers. Discussed enviroment and future needs. Was offered a position the next morning. I negotiated more vacation time successfully.

Negotiation

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Standard phone screen with HR, then an in person interview with the head of the department and then their most tenured person at the desk, who also acts as the sales manager. Questions were not extremely in depth or testing of skills. Really more learning about me as person and how I conducted my day to day in the same role (lateral movement on my part).

Interview Questions

William Blair Response

Sep 14, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your interview experience. We appreciate your interest our firm and hope you were able to take away something beneficial.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

It is 2 phone interviews and 1 in person interview. Very difficult interview with many technical questions. Spent 3 minutes talking about my resume and the rest of the time was spent asking technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do we use a discount rate and what discount rate would you use in a real life situation?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at William Blair (Athens, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

in person, 30 minutes interview with a senior level manager. Asked typical technical questions you'll find in your vault guide (nothing terribly unusual), a few behavioral questions to learn more about you. Like any investment banking position, you're better off if you fall into one (or all of) the above categories: High GPA, target school, diversity candidate, found the cure for cancer, solved world hunger, and single-handedly facilitated world peace. If you've managed to complete all of the above, you might possibly have a shot at a summer analyst position.

Interview Questions

• How do you calculate unlevered free cash flows?   1 Answer