William Blair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at William Blair

2.8

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Charlotte, NC) in April 2020.

Interview

It started with a phone screen then I was moved to a Superday, which consisted of 5 interviews. Overall, everyone was super nice during and it was a good experience.

Private Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Interviewed in the fall. Had two phone interviews, mostly behavioral with a few technical questions mixed in. Overall, it was a very easy process compared to other companies Ive interviewed with.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in January 2020.

Interview

One phone interview and onsite interview. And phone screen last for 30 minutes and onsite lasts for 1 hour. Both rounds have technical interview, including machine learning, spark, statistics and python.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The process was extremely frustrating. The position shifted with every phone interview I had, and it sounded like everyone from the recruiter to the hiring manager didn't know what job this was for. After the first 2 phone interviews, I was told I would be coming in person to meet the team, and to allocate 2-3 hours for it. After about 2 weeks of no other update on time or scheduling, I was told I would actually be participating in a third phone screen with a different manager for a different team. All in all very frustrating and raises a lot of red flags if they are hiring for a job they do not know what it is. The job title was also changed online during the interview process, with the same job ID and description.

Interview Questions

William Blair Response

Sep 25, 2019 – Culture & Talent

Thank you for providing us with feedback. We hold high standards for our interview approach, striving to ensure a positive candidate experience.

We are sorry that your experience did not align with our values or our approach. For this particular position, the needs of the business evolved during the time the position was posted, resulting in some changes that impacted your experience.

Your input is valuable and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Thank you for your interest in William Blair. We wish you all the best.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in August 2019.

Interview

Had a phone interview that was half behavioral and half technical. A month later I had a final round of interviews in the Chicago office. This consisted of a lunch with an analyst then four interviews that were a mix of technical and behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in August 2019.

Interview

Applied online, got a phone screen a few weeks later. Asked pretty standard questions from guides and expected behaviors. Asked about LBOS, DCF, what happens to three statements, etc. I thought it went well haven't heard back yet hopefully will get a super day invite.

LIFT Program 2020 Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL) in July 2019.

Interview

Submitted an app online after speaking with a few alumni at the bank. Did a Koru personality test, then a phone screen, then the two-day LIFT program superday in Chicago. Received offer two business days afterwards. Phone screen was mostly fit with basic technicals. Superday interviews consisted of three 30-minute rounds, two behavioral and one technical. They seem very focused on fit, and won't ding you for stumbling on a technical or two.

Interview Questions

• How does higher capex and retained earnings affect cash flows?   1 Answer
    • 1BN revenue, 20% EBITDA margin, 5x leverage, trading at 20x, how much leverage can be taken out to buy this company?   1 Answer
    • How would a correction of a 10MM revenue understatement w/40% tax rate flow through the three financial statements?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at William Blair (Charlotte, NC) in July 2019.

Interview

The interview was a quick phone screen with mostly behavioral questions asking why I wanted to go into IB, what group I'd be interested in, etc. There were only a few technicals.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an interest in a specific group? Why?   Answer Question
    • If I have two companies that are exactly the same but one has a higher level of CapEx, which one is valued more highly? Why?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

- Campus visits and coffee chats were a great way to meet some of the current analysts and get a better feel for the company's culture. The process began with coffee chats and then worked up to more standard interview scenarios.

Investment Banking Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at William Blair (Charlotte, NC) in June 2019.

Interview

phone interview and 5hr in-person interview in charlotte. the phone interview was 30 minutes and simple. in person interview took place in charlotte. they asked both technical and fit questions.