William & Mary Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 28, 2016

2.9

Equity Specialist/Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at William & Mary (Williamsburg, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application on November 30 through their website. They contacted me on February 11 for a telephone interview on February 18. I interviewed by telephone for about 30 minutes. I was contacted on February 19 for an in person on campus interview for February 29. The originally wanted me to pay for the costs associated with travel - I declined. They agreed to reimburse costs, and I drove. Prior to arriving they made me write a law school exam, complete with four questions - including an analysis of their policies, which they didn't provide, and writing out an entire interview of a witness. I learned that the fact pattern was a current case. My answer ended up being about 8 single spaced pages. They put me in a cheap hotel. I had a full day of interviews. I still haven't received reimbursement, and I learned today, April 11, I didn't get the position. I am fairly pissed to have been put through this obstacle course. I think that if they are going to require writing assignments they ought to compensate your time for doing what is essentially work to help them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at William and Mary?   1 Answer

Applications Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at William & Mary (Williamsburg, VA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process is a bit arduous. The first interview was via phone with 3 people on the other end. Mostly this interview was to determine my technical skills and experience. While it was slightly overwhelming, everyone I interviewed with was very friendly and had a great sense of humor.

Having passed the first round interview, I was given a simple programming challenge to complete in the next 7 days. The programming assignment was somewhat complex but I was able to complete the assignment in a few hours. Having passed the programming assignment, I had a second interview, in person this time, which took most of a day.

First there was a panel interview with 8 panel members, 3 of whom had been on the phone interview. The panel was made up of people with whom I would work on a regular basis. This interview did delve into my technical skills to some extent, but was more focused on my personality and how well I meshed with the team. The panel interview lasted an hour and a half. After the panel interview, I was given a tour of the facility and introduced to staff members in various departments. With the tour completed I had an opportunity to ask questions of the supervisor for the advertised position and the supervisor of the department. Finally, I was taken to lunch at a fairly nice restaurant and had a lunch with many of the department heads. There were some questions, but largely this was to determine my cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Who was the worst boss you ever worked for and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I spoke directly with the dean for the job offer and asked for more than they initially offered. HR had to approve the salary and came back with a slightly smaller number than I asked for.

Conference Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at William & Mary.

Interview

Phone interview with the committee- took about 30 minutes or so, in person interview with a committee, in person interview with department head, they called all three of my references and there was a background check prior to the offer being made. The process took over a month. Standard questions

Interview Questions

• If we called your supervisor what would he or she say about you?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at William & Mary (Williamsburg, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

I've thought about whether or not I should post a review for W&M's Advancement Office for quite some time. I didn't want to be labeled as just another person who had a bad experience and needs to vent to anyone who will read my review online so I feel somewhat relevant. Truth is, I have no problems with the College itself. I'm sure it's a great place and great people work there. But my experience during the interview process was something I never experienced before and felt like I needed this to serve as a "hey, this could happen to you" warning for others.

I waited over 3 months before I was contacted for a phone interview after I initially applied for this position. After that, it was another couple of weeks before I got a call back with the "Hey, we'd like you to come out and visit." I live 700 miles away from Williamsburg, so travel arrangements had to be made.

The first indication that this wasn't going as well as planned was when they asked me for dates and I gave them some that fit within both of our schedules. I also gave them dates when I would be unavailable (like, literally traveling and not just sitting in meetings at my job). The person I was in contact with came back and wanted to do it on a date that I said I was unavailable on. Once again, I had to clarify that I was not available on that date.

When we finally settled on one, I asked if I could see the flight itinerary before it was booked. I wanted to make sure I could get the time off, make to the airport, get to Williamsburg with enough time to find my way around, etc. Over a week later I get an email saying my flights were booked with no explanation as to why I wasn't able to see them first. As I feared, the flights that were booked weren't accommodating, so I had to email and call back several times to talk to someone to get them fixed. While they ended up fixing them for me, it was only after the whole "I don't know if we can because it costs just as much to change a flight as it was to book it." Well, why didn't you send me what you were thinking FIRST like I asked before we ran into this problem? This all happened only a few days before I was schedule to fly out (3 days I believe). I was ready to back out at this point. Such awful communication.

Fast forward to the actual interview. Everyone is very friendly when I arrive. I was scheduled to have lunch with about 4 people; people who I would only interview with/interact with during that time. These are people I would be working directly with if I was offered the job. I was told a few hours before lunch that they were now unable to do lunch anymore (all of them) because they had a project they needed to finish up before they left the next day. I was told I was on my own. I was also told I could take a tour of campus, but because my interview sessions in the morning ran late, I wasn't able to get to where I needed to be in time. So, I had over 3 hours of nothing to do before I needed to be back.

The rest of the day was fine, and everyone else I met throughout the day turned out to be very nice and professional. I thought.

This all happened in July. It's now November and I have yet to hear from someone there that I didn't get the job (I know I didn't because they posted the name of the person they hired on their website). What kind of organization goes to all the trouble of having you come out after screwing up your travel, blows you off for a scheduled lunch, and then doesn't bother to send a "Thanks, but no thanks." email or make a phone call? Maybe it was because I asked them to put me on a flight that actually worked for me instead of one they decided would work and they had to spend more money to change my ticket when it could have all been avoided. But I think it's because of their unprofessionalism. I even followed-up with them a few weeks after my interview asking them if I could know what the status was and if they need any more information from me. All my attempts to hear back were ignored.

Here's the thing: as interview candidates, we are expected to be professional and perform at our best. Only the best talent gets hired. But the way I felt after interviewing with William and Mary is the exact opposite. Very little follow through, an application/interview process that took nearly 8 months, and very little professionalism on their end, in the end.

Perhaps my experience is an isolated one, but regardless of how good (or poorly) you interview, I believe an employer owes you, at the very least, some type of communication as to whether or not you will or will not be offered the job, especially if you were a finalist for a management-level position.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at William & Mary (Williamsburg, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

The process started with a phone interview; a few days later I was invited to campus to meet the staff and spend time in the department. The interview on campus was an entire day meeting with various groups connected with the position and within the department. Quite a few questions, but it was the way in which they got to know me and I was able to get to know them.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions; then the interview turned to just "getting to know me" and I was provided a tour of the department and was able to ask any questions of the staff. Very comfortable and easy-going setting.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I few days after the second interview, I received a call with the salary offer. There was no negotiation; I was offered their top salary for the position.

Adjunct Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at William & Mary (Arlington, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via Email. All the process was done via email communication. Since the position I applied to was for the part-time adjunct position, I think it would have been done differently for other positions, such as full-time faculty.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at William & Mary (Williamsburg, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Saw the job on Indeed and applied on W&M's website. Couple of weeks later, someone called to arrange a phone screen, which went well. Couple of weeks after that, I was invited to campus for a four-hour grilling that included four different panels of three to six interviewers each. It was pretty grisly, actually. Two days after I returned home they informed me that I was one of two finalists and they asked for my references. I gave them five, including my current boss--!!--and they asked for three more. Who needs EIGHT references?!? Two of them confirmed that they were called. Then I waited FIVE WEEKS and finally sent a polite email asking when a decision might be made; the reply was that they'd already hired the other person and didn't inform me...oops, my bad! Overall, a very unprofessional, disappointing waste of time and a LOT of travel money. I have a significantly lower opinion of this school now, a place I used to adore.

Interview Questions

• What DIDN'T they ask? Four hours = a lot of questions. All were behavioral.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at William & Mary (Williamsburg, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

I got an email saying that I was invited to an interview and I was given several time slots to choose from. I emailed the person back and set up an interview for the following week. It took place at Dean's office, and it was very low key. She asked me a few questions about my academic interests, and extracurricular interests, It was a relatively easygoing conversation for about half an hour. I was given an offer on the spot.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at William & Mary (Williamsburg, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

Overall questions fairly straightforward; the faculty I was interviewed by were warm and friendly; asked me a lot about my former experience; it took about two months from start to finish and I was pleased to have the opportunity

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position?
      Asked me about previous positions I had held
      Answer Question

Development Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at William & Mary.

Interview

First I submitted an online application and cover letter. i received a call three months later about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 min and was with a three-member panel. All of the questions were behavioral. There weren't any questions about how I would communicate in writing.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was about working with difficult people. This was unexpected because this was a writing role that didn't apparently require a wealth of discussion between different offices.   Answer Question