Winston & Strawn Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 9, 2016

2.9

Diversity Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

It was great! I was accommodated upon arrival and I got to meet with the one of the members of talent acquisition, the head of the HR department, and the Diversity Manager (who I would report to and work closely with if hired). I felt comfortable and as if my interviewers really wanted to get to know the professional side of me, but also genuinely gather an understanding of who I am.

Interview Questions

• What made you interested in this role in Diversity?   1 Answer
    • Since you are entering Graduate school for Secondary Education, how will you perform to your best ability in this role?   1 Answer

Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn.

Interview

An overdue review, but this place has an archaic interview process. It took everything I had to not walk out when I saw their employment application that referenced shorthand and dictation. Then there is a typing test that you MUST score high before you get through to test for more "current" computer applications. The typing test had a format to read from that was in a large type set as if it was reading it off a large floppy disk from the early 80's. The other tests were simple that you would expect in today's "modern" environment. I lost total interest in the Company after this initial interview interview.

Senior Business Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn (Washington, DC).

Interview

The process was long, drawn out and complicated. I had a phone screen on 8/21, my first in-person interview 8/26, second 9/3, third 9/10, and fourth 9/11. The hiring manager Oscar was AMAZING! He kept in contact with me constantly; emailing and calling if things changed.

Everyone I interviewed with (with the exception of a few of the attorneys) was pleasant and direct. They are about the business of the firm and I respect that. I've been doing this work for a long time and the respected my knowledge and expertise. I was told (in so many words) that the office manager, marketing & BD team, and my would-be supervisor were pulling for me but the managing partner wasn't sold on either of us and chose to revamp the job. It felt like a major waste of time.

Partners had absolutely no consideration for my time or schedule or that of their senior level marketing staff who flew in from all over the country to meet with me. The "Winston Way" is extremely exacting and almost seemed like no fun. Might have been a blessing in disguise as I don't think it would have been a good culture fit for me.

Interview Questions

• What does a typical day look like for you?   1 Answer

Technical Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

HR reached out to me after seeing my Profile on LinkedIn. I sent my resume to HR and I heard back
    the next day via email, asking if I would be interested in interviewing with the company.

She informed me that it would be a two step process-

Step 1 A meeting with her and the department supervisor
    Step 2 A meeting with the department manager.

Everyone was courteous, the questions were relevant and good and the overall process was easy to follow.

The HR person was very knowledgeable about the firm and the position opening and was able to answer all my questions

Interview Questions

• What is motivating you to look at other opportunities?
      What single project or task would you consider your most significant career accomplishment to date
      Tell me about a time you set difficult goals. What did you do to achieve them?
      Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process initially went well. I met with a senior personnel in the human resources department. Standard questions, and felt comfortable with the questions. I then met with the manager and another senior for the department I was applying for. Conversation went well and talked about qualifications.

It all went downhill on the follow up I sent them. The first one I sent shortly after was not answered. The second follow up a week later was not responded to...ever.

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

I meet with HR, then with the director and then with the manager. HR was just normal questions. When meeting with the Director, she kept writing things down, and seem very distracted and disinterested in hearing what I was saying or my questions. The manager, he was awesome! We had a great discussion about the position, and he even stated to me, "You did great and interviewed very well". Overall, it was an ok interview. But even after they stated that I would hear something from them, I never did. Even sent follow up emails, and still never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation that you had to deal with an angry customer.   1 Answer

Winston & Strawn Response

Mar 2, 2016 – Sr. Recruitment Specialist

At the conclusion of the interview process for a particular position, it is Winston & Strawn’s standard practice to send a letter via email to all candidates who did not receive an offer of ... More

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn (Chicago, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

20-minute screening interview. Callback interview consists of five-to-six 30-minute interviews. Most of my interviews were conversational, and I made sure to ask as many questions about what it is like to work at the firm. Everyone was pleasant and engaging. I felt like each interviewer showed genuine interest in the process and what I had to say.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a couple unexpected questions (e.g., what is a current book you're reading, and what do you think about it?) But otherwise, the questions were focused on my past experience and on what interests me (i.e., practice areas).   Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was referred to the job by Robert Half in Chicago. I met with Tracy Bartosz in HR and then met with the Head Secretarial Supervisor and then two of the floor supervisors.

Interview Questions

• Meetings were very short and and no difficult questions .   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very quick and easy, I was hired that evening that I interviewed

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

Their hiring process can be somewhat ridiculous. They REQUIRED 65 wpm to the score on their typing test. What I mean by this is that if the person typed 64 wpm they would not be allowed to move to the next step. They also make it difficult for those that may be switching jobs. There is no real consideration for scheduling of interviews, length, or frequency. Even if you request the interview during certain times (knowing that you're currently employed) they will schedule it at whatever time they wish. They also have multiple interviews. First you come in for the testing, then to meet with the HR consultant, then the HR Manager and if you make it that far, you have to go in to meet with the lawyer you'll work with.

Bilingual Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Winston & Strawn (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with them on 10/29/13, before I had a face to face interview had to pass a typing test

Interview Questions

• Typing test was the key to get through the process but I don't type fast so after my third attempt of typing test my interview was terminated   Answer Question