Wireless Generation, Inc. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wireless Generation, Inc. Interview Questions

Interviews at Wireless Generation, Inc.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. (Durham, NC) in March 2012.

Interview

Submitted my resume through a recruiter and scheduled a phone interview immediately. The interview lasted for 1 hour. Started off with general question - "Tell me about yourself" and then Moved on to theoretical questions in java and OOP concepts. This last for about 1/2 hour or so and then was given a programming questions to solve.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes a price and returns the minimum set of coins that add up to that amount.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in April 2013.

Interview

step1: 30 minutes tech interview on call
    step2: 1 task sent by email

Interview Questions

• the offline task lets you write some script to implement some function, it took me over 5 hours to solve it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. (Durham, NC) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online. They got back to me quickly and were very interested in my background.

First, I had a quick phone screen with the HR guy. We talked about technologies I've used and what I'm looking for in a job. It was not difficult at all.

Then, I had a technical phone interview with an experienced software architect. During the first half of the call, he asked some basic software engineering questions (e.g. "What's the difference between an interface and an abstract class?"). During the second half, we got onto collabedit.com and shared an interactive session. He asked me to write a method that accepts two character arrays and determine whether the first could be recreated using only the characters in the second. I solved the problem by putting both arrays into hashmaps (with the character as the key and the number of occurrences of that character as the value), then checking the number occurrences of the first hashmap against the second.

Finally, I had an in-person interview at their Durham office. They sat me in a little meeting room (that could hold maybe 5 people max). I met with four people, for one hour each. Each person would ask me some questions about my background, some technical questions, and one big problem for which they wanted me to write stuff on the a white board. The big problems I encountered were:

-Write a method that accepts a list of integer pairs. The method should compare the integer pairs and combine/delete pairs that intersect/comprise other pairs on the number line(for instance (1,4) and (2,5) could be reduced to (1,5); (1,4) and (1,3) could be reduced to (1,4); (1,4) and (6,8) couldn't be reduced). The method should return this list of integer pairs. This problem took me a while to solve. It was important to sort the list first.

-Design the class structure and explain the general methodology of software that would guide museum-goers on an audio tour. The museum-goers enter a customized list of which exhibits they want to see and the software figures out the best path for them to take. Also design a file format so that the museum can tell the software the layout of the museum (I did a simple XML format that gave each room a name and described which rooms connected to each other).

- Write a method that accepts a list of integers and returns each number as a percentage of the largest number. This wasn't too difficult, though it did bring to light some questions about efficiency. Again, it was a big help to sort the list first.

- (The fourth interviewer didn't have a big question.)

I thought I did pretty well on the interview. It seemed more like a stress test than anything else. Though the HR guy told me that they usually only take 48 hours to make a decision, a week had gone by and I'd heard nothing. I called and emailed the HR guy, but I couldn't get a response from him. It took him almost 4 weeks to finally get back to me and tell me that they weren't interested in hiring me. Then I got a check in the mail for a third of my interview costs (hotel room and mileage). I tried to ask for the rest, but again couldn't get ahold of anyone.

Wireless Generation was pretty professional up until the end there. They seemed like a cool company, but now that I know how they deal with people they aren't interested in anymore, I'm glad I have nothing to do with them.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that accepts a list of integer pairs. The method should compare the integer pairs and combine/delete pairs that intersect/comprise other pairs on the number line(for instance (1,4) and (2,5) could be reduced to (1,5); (1,4) and (1,3) could be reduced to (1,4); (1,4) and (6,8) couldn't be reduced). The method should return this list of integer pairs.   1 Answer
    • Design the class structure and explain the general methodology of software that would guide museum-goers on an audio tour. The museum-goers enter a customized list of which exhibits they want to see and the software figures out the best path for them to take. Also design a file format so that the museum can tell the software the layout of the museum.   1 Answer
    • Write a method that accepts a list of integers and returns each number as a percentage of the largest number. This wasn't too difficult, though it did bring to light some questions about efficiency.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

Interview process with WiGen included one round of phone interview and later I was called for a 1-1 onsite interview. Prepare strong on algo/problem solving also on design patterns. I got called by recruiter for this, the interviews are mostly technical and problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic interview was easy,
      1. difference between list, array and set
      2. problem solving intersecting sets ex: {4, 5 }, { 2, 3}, {6, 9} => {2,5}, {6,9}
      3. design a web based spell checker.   Answer Question
    • Onsite interview was set for late in the afternoon... First interview was on design concept... was asked to design a text based game. Initial idea was to design a basic game but later when things started to roll it became interesting (had to use design concepts and MVC patterns). The second interview the tough, I was asked to write algo (proper java/C++ code) to identify move pattern for a chess board game. This was a bit tricky, and to writing a code on a white board is not an easy task.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

A technical recruiter at a staffing firm made first contact via email, which included a brief job description. A few additional emails were exchanged to further describe the position and to setup a phone discussion. A phone interview was then arranged with HR at WiGen. This was a brief discussion that included a simple 10 question technical quiz, which is meant to weed out people who aren't even close to be qualified.

Next came a phone interview with the hiring manager. This discussion was a two-way exchange of information. The manager asked questions about my background and experience and I was able to ask about the company and position.

The final stage involved traveling to the company for an in-person interview. The recruitment firm requested a meeting prior to the interview. This meeting was somewhat of a stress test as they asked a lot of in-depth technical questions. The actual interview at WiGen was much more pleasurable. It was the best interview I've ever experienced. It was more of a conversation and I felt completely at home. The hiring manager first asked me to write a couple of scripts to parse some XML data. Then I had to analyze some server performance charts generated from their actual monitoring system. One of the Unix Admins was then brought in to ask some additional technical questions. I was then given a chance to meet some of the other employees when the hiring manager took us to lunch. I had an offer two days later. Overall this was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Write a script to parse N data from files X, Y, and Z in directories A, B, and C.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a slightly better salary, but the initial offer was fair. My advice for others would be to verify what other companies are paying for similar roles and use that information to base your negotiations. Also be sure to reiterate how you can go above and beyond the responsibilities of the position based on the job description.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Interview consisted of a coding exercise and various questions on patterns. Finally I was asked how I would break down a spell check service into sub modules and direct the work of other developers.

I felt the feedback provided after the interview was substandard. I was told that I didn't have enough 'runtime' experience and that my definition of 'loose coupling' didn't match their definition.

Not sure what is meant by 'runtime' experience. My definition of 'loose coupling' was, I thought, quite brilliant.

After asking for code samples, and an hour on the phone, I would appreciate more substantial feedback. This seemed all rather vague based the time I spent with them. Would I work there?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

A phone interview which consisted mainly of C++ questions and some problem-solving. About an hour long, moderate difficulty.

A very lengthy coding project was set, which took a lot of time to do properly (as most things done properly do). Upon submitting it, they took several weeks to even respond. I should have heeded the signs...

Finally I got called in for a 3 hour in-person interview, which I felt (judging by their reactions to me) went pretty well. The people were nice and the tasks interesting. All good. I was told I'd hear within 3 days at the very latest.

All the WGen contacts subsequently studiously and deliberately ignored my emails. Pretty disgraceful behaviour towards someone who's put a lot of time into the process. I'm very glad I didn't end up working for them, if this is indicative of their culture.

Interview Questions

• design a system for museums that helps visitors enjoy the exhibits. Had to think about location-awareness, routing algorithms, data structures, file formats.   Answer Question
    • write code that implements a whitespace regex matcher in C++/Java   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

There was a pre-screen followed by an in-persion interview. The whole process actually worked as a recruitment tool since the people they had interviewing me were bright and it was obvious they took the process seriously. Work-life balance was something that was mentioned by each of the interviewers and it seemed obvious to me they weren't just giving lip service to the concept but that it was a shared value.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. (Durham, NC) in February 2012.

Interview

-Phone interview where they asked some general tech questions, questions about projects I was working on, and did a Collabnet coding problem.
    -1:1 was 3 hours in their office, 1 hour each with 1 guy. First was ok - asked to design/architect some kind of storage solution, which seemed odd as I was interview for a software position, not systems. Second was awful. Guy needed a bath (not good in a small room), and asked a bunch of college-level questions like making you implement data structures on the whiteboard, rather than how to apply them. Definitely brush up on how to implement things like Lists, Maps, etc. Third was a management-type.

The place is very young - only been around maybe 9-12 months and they like cutting-edge university mentality types. Applied, long term corporate software folks will not do very well.

Open environment, no cubes, just long tables and a loft atmosphere. Agile, pair-programming approach. Tobacco Road campus so traffic/parking could be an issue.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were very theoretical - how to implement linked lists, sets, hash maps, etc.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Phone interview then which is most of the basic questions such as spellcheck, then an in person interview where you meet like 5 different members of the team. Each person asks a problem solving question. Maybe, they should just see some samples of some of the work that you have done instead of asking theoretical questions.