Xero Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2020

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Xero

2.8
HardAverageEasy
Found 164 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auckland, Auckland
Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (Auckland, Auckland)

Interview

Process is quite standard, first HR screening followed by hangouts with department head and manager. Hangouts of 1.5 hour. Interview is quite nice. the negative point goes to the feedback. When they say they are looking for something that isn't in the job description just feel weird. If you put yourself in a position to give feedback, have a quick look in the job description before and be honest with the candidate.

Interview Questions
  • salary expectations cultural fit automation how do you get the data experience
    Answer Question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Zealand
Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (New Zealand)

Interview

Online application form, required C.V and answering 4 out of 8 questions. Next round was a 90 minute HackerRank interview. Then had to answer 4 questions on an online, automated video interview.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time you made a mistake and how did you deal with it?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auckland, Auckland
Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Xero (Auckland, Auckland) in Sep 2020

Interview

Beware about wasting your time unless you agree with racist, sexist, woke hiring policies. Very drawn-out process over 6+ weeks. I initially expressed interest on one of their LinkedIn advertisements and was contacted by one of their HR people. Despite the process being very drawn out, the initial 3 interviews were very positive and the people who interviewed me were extremely nice and genuine. It wasn't until the final "team fit" interview with members of the team that had been selected for me to join did I get to see the true colours of Xero. The interview was meant to be a "team fit" style interview, but it seemed that they were uninterested in finding out whether I would fit the team in any kind of professional manner, and more interested in finding my political alignment and whether I agreed with discriminatory hiring practices in order to meet their "diversity" quotas. Two questions in particular highlighted this. "How do you think we should achieve diversity in the team" and "How do you think we should hire people in order to achieve diversity in the team". Bear in mind, I was interviewing for the position of Software Developer, so why would they be interested in asking me about hiring policies? My answers involved talking about how they should hire the "best person for the job", ensuring that we take into account "different skillsets and backgrounds", but this answer clearly wasn't "woke enough" for the interviewer, as she followed up with "so you don't mean real diversity, you mean technical diversity". I genuinely believe that the answer she wanted from me was to explain how they should hire based on their race, gender, and sexuality in order to achieve their quotas. After this interview, I knew that I would never want to work in a toxic woke company like Xero, but was surprised to receive a call from a recruiter explaining that "despite being very technically capable, you are not a good fit for the team" and hence not receiving an offer. I seriously recommend anyone thinking about applying to Xero to think about whether they want to waste their time. Unless you support these regressive woke policies, you won't fit in at Xero.

Interview Questions
  • How should we hire people to achieve diversity?
Anonymous Employee in Auckland, Auckland
Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (Auckland, Auckland) in Sep 2020

Interview

Everyone was super friendly, personal and professional from the HR team through to the panel. They are looking for the right culture fit and this is really clear in their interviews. I loved how they don't ask silly questions to test your IQ, just questions about you and your experience mostly. The interviews were challenging but they were warm and friendly which helped. They also give you lots of detailed feedback after each round which is rare.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (Toronto, ON) in Sep 2020

Interview

Phone screen. A phone call with potential colleague. A 1hr 30min technical assessment on hacker rank. Final call with manager and director. The hacker rank technical assessment was very wordy for a technical exercise. Subjective questions like "how to scale a system" are best left to in person interactions as there are an infinite number of responses. If it were an essay writing exam it probably should be assessed as one, but it is assessed as a technical test. The assessment of the test is therefore very opinionated and ideological.

Interview Questions
  • A 1hr 30min technical assessment on hacker rank
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Zealand
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero (New Zealand)

Interview

There was a coding test, which was then followed by an automated interview. This interview was about 4 questions with 15 seconds to plan an answer then 2 minutes to answer. Lastly there was the grad day.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a group project and setback you encountered and how you dealt with it
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Zealand
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero (New Zealand)

Interview

Got an email to schedule a quick phone interview, Phone interview happened and was very quick and person sounded very enthusiastic to get me in for an interview. After phone interview I never heard back.

Interview Questions
  • Experience, motivations to apply and what interested me in Xero
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canada
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (Canada) in Aug 2020

Interview

Xero has the best candidate experience by far. I applied and was contacted for a phone screening with the recruiter on the same day. The phone screening was 30 minutes, basic questions about what you know about the company and job experience. Later that week I received an email stating I was moving on to the interview with the hiring manager. It was a 45 minute Google Meet call. In the email, I was given a little assignment to complete and present to the hiring manage during the interview. A few days later I found out that I would not be moving on. However, the recruiter offered the opportunity to speak on the phone for feedback which I appreciated. The next step would have been a call with two members of the team I would have been working with. Overall while I did not get the position, I left the experience very positively because of how great the people were. One tip of advice would be to really show your excitement for the role as well as the company.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you worked in a situation with a lot of ambiguity, how do you stay organized, how do you do working in a fast paced environment, how do you deal with stress, motivation for working at Xero, tell me about yourself.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (Melbourne) in Aug 2020

Interview

A very straightforward interview . I was asked straightforward and relevant questions. I also had a good chance to find out more about Xero, how it is structured, how management works and so on.

Interview Questions
  • When have you done diary studies?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington, Wellington
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (Wellington, Wellington)

Interview

Screening interviews done via phone, by a HR rep. Not a difficult process, but Xero have a bad habit of not following up -and after two weeks of the screening interview I have not received feedback or a response . I assume then it is a negative?

Interview Questions
  • What is the salary that you are looking for?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 164