Xero Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Xero.

Interview

Everyone is very friendly and helpful. There are a phone screening interview and then 2 technical interviews which not only assess candidate's technical experience but also personality and work behaviors. The interviewers really care if the candidate fit and work well with the current team and culture as well as whether they are passionate and willing to learn and improve.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Standard interview process, you'll be given a problem to solve online within 45 min, then follow-up with a technical phone call. If you impress the interviewers, you'll be invited to onsite interviews.

Onsite interviews will cover both algorithms, problem-solving, design, database, and culture-fit.

My advice:

Algorithms: The questions will most likely be standard but take note of the importance in writing clean code and test your implementation. You are expected to know Big-O notation, common data structures (hash table/dictionary, tree, stack, queue, arrays, list) and the interviewer would be impressed if you can point out the reason why you pick such algorithms or data structure.

Design: Focus on solving real life problem using proper OOP. Define the classes, inheritance structure, the interfaces, and implementation clearly upfront. You don't have to know every design patterns but know the most common one won't hurt (Singleton, Strategy, Template Method, Bridge ..etc). Design for reusability and maintainability. Always ask questions to clarify the intent of the design exercise.

Database question: Depending on your role, if front-end engineer then you may not need to go through this step. For backend engineer, you're expected to write proper SQL, able to design tables with properly E-R, understand cardinality (1-to-1, 1-to-many, many-to-many), aggregations. Some advanced questions may be about LOCKs, INDEXES, CTE.

Always draw your ERD first, identify the columns of each table, write your SQL with such ERD then fine-tune them.

Culture-fit: In general this session is to evaluate whether you are smart, you are fun and you are friendly to work with? Be sincere and professional, explain how you would solve a conflict, show that you are proactive and a valuable asset to the team.

Interview Questions

• How to improve your SQL query?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Xero.

Interview

25 minute behavioral talk with a recruiter. She just asked me questions about myself and what type of projects I'd worked on, as well as what I was ideally looking for in an internship.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero (San Francisco, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Multiple skype interviews and google hangouts. Then multiple in person interviews in the office. Multiple skype interviews and google hangouts. Then multiple in person interviews. Multiple skype interviews and google hangouts.

Interview Questions

• It was so long ago, i'm not sure. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (San Francisco, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I had applied online and was contact within two days. I was had done an initial interview with the recruiter, then a Skype interview with the director of IT in New Zealand and then an onsite panel interview at the downtown San Francisco Office. Most questions were not heavily based on technical knowledge but more about the ability to handle a workload and being a sole offsite technical support member.

The company did not provide feedback on interview and waited over 3 weeks to contact me regarding going another direction.

Interview Questions

• No real unexpected or difficult questions. One of the repeated questions were how to handle a stressful "everything is broken" scenario.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Xero (Denver, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Quick; the company seems quite full of themselves and there is not a lot of room for new ideas. They talked a lot about perks but it was difficult to understand the current opportunity. It seemed that the hiring manager did not leave room to learn how candidates had been successful in a similar position somewhere else.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview process was relatively standard, easy to navigate and a positive one. I applied online and within a month I was contacted. I first spoke with HR for a phone screening and then interviewed with the department's Director via Google Hangout. Both interviewers were very friendly, approachable and easy to talk to. Overall, Xero seems to be a great company to work for and although I wasn't selected, they were very professional and friendly throughout the process. As a recommendation to Xero's process, I would advise providing candidates with some feedback with regards to their decision but understand it's not always possible.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about your career in the last year.
      2. What are you looking for in your next role?   Answer Question

Xero Response

Feb 20, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience interviewing with Xero, and suggestions on how we can improve. We strive to provide a smooth process for candidates, and your feedback helps... More

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (Denver, CO) in May 2016.

Interview

Four part process:
    1. 30 minute phone screen with recruiter
    2. 1 hour long interview with hiring manager
    3. 30 minute sales demo with hiring manger
    4. 45 minute Google Hangout with Director of Sales

Interview Questions

• Mostly specifics of past job experience   2 Answers

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (Denver, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

Very disappointed with the process.

Applied online, had an initial phone screen (20 min), then an interview was set up with 2 current employees I'd be working with. Straight forward but I found myself doing very little of the talking as they were reading off generic questions. Moved on to the next interview where it was more of the same. Was very difficult to gauge what they were looking for considering all they told me was someone who can work in a fast paced environment and is adaptable. Was told I was moving on to the next round and would be contacted by a recruiter to set up the next interview in a day or so. Fast forward to a week later and a couple emails trying to find out what was going on; I received a generic computer generated email saying my qualifications didn't fit their needs. Not sure what else I could have done considering I was enthusiastic about the company and product, very aggressive with follow up, and was 100% qualified for the position. Company seems promising with a good product but don't seem organized in the hiring process and know what they are looking for. Process took a long time considering they were looking to bring people on ASAP.

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Xero (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Short phone call introduction, simple technical questions. Online coding, then onsite 4 around technical (team lead) interview at one day last for 2 hours. Very fast and professional process. However I failded as some of the questions answered badly.

Interview Questions

• http how it work if you click a link at website   1 Answer

Senior Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero in July 2017.

Interview

1. Initial 30 minute screening by HR
    2. Hour long interview with Hiring Manager
    3. Hour face to face meeting with partner affiliates
    Moving to next phase, there was supposed to be time with two sales managers on separate 45 minute Google hangout calls.

Received notification from the HR person that the last interviews were cancelled as a candidate had already accepted an offer. While conversations were positive with hiring manager and partner affiliate, learning that a job offer had already been extended before I was scheduled in final phase feels like bait-and-switch. As candidates, we invest our time to research, prepare - if a serious candidate was already being considered based on their experience level - why were they not transparent in hiring process? Felt like I was just 'column fodder' to compare with their candidate who already had a job offer in hand.

In addition, the HR person did NOT have an accurate description of the job role. Did not share any insight or visibility around the partnership that was being developed or the territory that would be assigned.

Would not recommend.