Y Media Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Y Media Labs

2.9

Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Y Media Labs (Redwood City, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

This was a while ago, so many things could have changed, people could have left, and I am confident my situation was some sort of fluke incident. but I promised myself I would come back here someday and post about it because it’s just too weird :)

So I was contacted through linkedin by Y Media Lab’s recruiter via email. He was very complimentary of my skill, and was eager to talk, so I agreed. We chatted on the phone the next day and we agreed to have me come in later that week to interview for the role of art director and meet the team.

When I first got there, I met with the creative director (at the time, no idea if that person still works there) and I was taken back by his luke-warm reaction to my work. Not impressed in the least. He then told me that he couldn’t hire me as an art director and asked me if I wanted to take on a role as a regular designer. The designer role would also a lower salary of about 10k less than I was making as an Art Director at my previous agency. Okay… this was getting a little odd, but I complied by saying we could talk about it later, just to go through the motions of the interview. The second person I met was someone higher up on the chain, but the conversation went nowhere quickly, as his background heavily in the engineering part of the company. We both had a hard time understanding each other's lingo. And finally, I met with the CTO. I decided to try and salvage my afternoon by starting off showing him some work that had taken 1st place in a global competition. That’s when he cut me off… “Yeah, see this right here? That’s not art direction. This isn’t art director work. See, if you stick with us, we’ll show you what art direction really is.” At this point I was so blown away by his attitude I just complied by being silent or agreeing to whatever he said just to get this over with as soon as possible. As I was leaving, the recruiter stopped me ask told me that the interview went well and that we will keep in touch (heh, uhh, what?). To my surprise they reached out to me later that day saying that they all enjoyed meeting with me (again… what?) and that they wanted me to complete a design-competency test. I politely declined.... and personally swore to one day come back to glassdoor and post this ridiculous story. :)

Oh and 2 weeks after that interview I got a great art director gig making 35k more than they were offering. Really glad I didn't settle. :)

Interview Questions

• Would you still want to work here for a lower title and salary?   3 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Y Media Labs (Redwood City, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I had a phone screen, mostly about ios concepts like arrays, arc, category. On clearing this I was called in for On site interviewing was asked questions on my projects, my are of interest and ios questions like MVC pattern, protocol and delegation , KVO etc.

Interview Questions

• Object oriented programming concepts. If we are to build class of shapes, can we design square as child of rectangle?   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Y Media Labs (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I applied for the role from the careers section of the website. Started off with a phone screen. Next was a Zoom video chat with the direct manager. Next was an in-person, half-day session with multiple people across different teams (strategy, design, development, management). Received an offer after the weekend.

Interview Questions

• Describe and whiteboard a high-level resource plan for a 4-month app development engagement.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Interview

Had a fairly quick interview process. I received a verbal offer the same day I went in to interview. I got a written offer the next morning on a Wednesday with a written expiration date for Friday (48 hours). On Thursday they called to tell me that they were rescinding my offer prior to the expiration date and confirming they offered the position to someone else. This was extremely unprofessional experience and I wouldn't recommend that anyone interview here.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Y Media Labs (New York, NY).

Interview

Fast process, had two interviews where I presented and discussed a few my portfolio projects to other creatives in the company. Relaxed atmosphere, friendly people and good conversation about design. In the second interview I was asked to do a short whiteboard exercise. The recruiter was very responsive and enthusiastic. Whole thing took about a week.

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Y Media Labs.

Interview

This was one of the most insulting interview processes ever! I applied online and was contacted a couple weeks later for a phone call with the recruiter. She not only had to reschedule at the last minute multiple times, but then when she finally managed to call me she was 15 minutes late. And then she had the audacity to start things off by telling me she didn’t think I was qualified (I already had 5+ years industry experience so that was ludicris). We continued with the interview, but considering the way it started I was pissed off and flustered the entire time. At the end of the call, she said that she was going to “pass me on to the next round” despite her “concerns.” And of course I didn’t hear anything for several weeks, by which point I had accepted an offer from a company that actually respected my time and experience. If she’s any indication of how this company is, I dodged an incompentant and obnoxious bullet!

Sales Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Y Media Labs (Redwood City, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

The company does a good job screening for candidates. They aren't necessarily looking for the highest pedigrees but for best fit with cultures, work ethic, and innovation sense. Y Media Labs is a solid place to work nestled in the Peninsula midway to the city and to Southbay. Company is still growing rapidly so there is much room to make a difference and become someone who makes a huge difference.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There's the typical hiring process, when they like you they move real fast.

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Y Media Labs (Redwood Shores, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Ridiculous. They scheduled me once after a phone screen...and then moved the date. And then moved it again because the the CTO and CEO were unavailable. On the day they were supposed to be available, they walked me out after the first conversation. Most disrespectful of my time. Do not accept an opportunity to interview onsite unless you have spoken to everyone already on the telephone. If they don't bring you on-site, it's fine...they have not fully wasted your time.

Design Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Y Media Labs in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process is overall very nice. We had a screen share, and I talked serval my projects. I feel like we had a great talk, and the recruiter is helpful during the process. This is for an intern opportunity in Atalanta.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dharwad (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Y Media Labs (Dharwad (India)) in September 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed during College placement activity. There was first a pen and paper based test followed by one technical round (Some of my friends had 2 technical rounds). Paper based test had 6-7 MCQs and 5 programming questions. In technical interview, i was asked to write a recursive logic of one the function i wrote in paper based test.

Interview Questions

• Program to print all combinations of a given string. Eg : String abc. Ans : abc, acb, cba, cab .......   Answer Question