Yandex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Yandex

3.2

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

Interview

I applied through the Yandex web site, and sent the solutions to a few tasks which took overall three full days to complete. The questions were fairly difficult and required good problem solving, knowledge about complexity, data structures and algorithms, and good C++ skills. After that, a recruiter contacted me and set up a Skype interview with two developers. I thought at this point they would just verify my level of knowledge about the skills I had proven to have by solving the tasks. Instead, they asked me questions that were more difficult than those posted on the web site. Really kind of tricky. Why don't they interview people for half an hour like all decent companies as a first step instead of making you develop for days and then rejecting you because you cannot answer a couple of tricky questions? At Yandex they probably think that half an hour of theirs is worth three days of yours. I think they should select people first, and make sure they fit their needs, and then ask them to develop for hours. And finally the funny thing is the email they send you telling you you are not going to get offered a job in which they suggest they might contact you for future opportunities. All to avoid THESE kind of reviews, which I think everyone should write.

Interview Questions

• Some coding involving constructors in C++ containing within themselves dynamically allocated objects and how to handle exceptions that might be risen   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews, 45 mins each. Since I was applying from another city, I was not invited for an on site interview. I do not know if they invite people who live in the same city to the office for extra interviews.

The first interviewer focused on Basic programming questions on a shared document. I was contacted for a second phone screen which was more on my school projects.

In general, the process was very fast, Very knowledgeable people doing the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Signed an Nda. Typical data structures related programming questions.   Answer Question

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in March 2013.

Interview

Interview process divided to 4-5 parts. Every part longs for 1 hour, where you have to show your skills in one of interview sections (algorithms, coding skills, system design). After 2 parts you will have a break for lunch. Interviewers was very kind.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewers were ok. The whole process was in one room during two sessions (no break) (~30 min each).
    First part was almost about simple probability theory:
    Second part was about regular analytical questions:
    how to measure KPI of not team which provides algorithms for elevators.
    how to measure amount of fish in a lake without any special tools. etc.

Interview Questions

• math statistics, probability theory (50/50).   Answer Question
    • There was a question how to measure effectiveness of elevator algorithm written by a team of engineers.   Answer Question

Java Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg (Russia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex (Saint Petersburg (Russia)) in February 2017.

Interview

One week after online task submission I was invited to on-board interview. Pleasant overall but 3 hours of technical interviews in a row is not the best experience I had. In my opinion 5 minute breaks are too small, 15 would be sufficient.

Interview Questions

• Standard algorithmic (heap, binary search) and Java (implement an iterator) questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex (Berlin (Germany)) in July 2014.

Interview

There was one phone screening via skype with life coding.
    After that Yandex invited my to Berlin for onsite interview.
    Interview took whole day, starting with 1:1 interview about programming language details.
    Then online interview with group in Moscow ending with coding task on laptop.
    When stuck interviewer are trying to push you to right direction.
    Whole stuff was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• * C++ language details
      * Algoritms and data structure design
      * Memory/complexity optimization
      * Math and brain teasers   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There was three interviews. 1 via skype and 2 face to face. Simple questions about web-technologies: php (design patterns, what is new in 5.xx version), mysql (indexes, queries, engines), nosql technologies, algorithms (a time complexity, different sorting algorithms, some examples of classical maths algorithms), web-frameworks (pros and cons of the framework, that you use in your everyday work proccess)
    Some management questions (about development proccess in your current company, how it is built, about vcs and bugtracking system, about interactions with other members of your team (managers, developers, etc...))
    Very friendly atmoshphere and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Which sorting algorithms do you know?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in July 2015.

Interview

The process seemed to change around 2014, and is now more reminiscent of the one big companies use. Candidates pass through the phone screen (1 hr) and then 4 or more on-site interviews (1 hr each), depending on the number of teams the candidate is considered to work with. They are typically stacked within one day. I list the example questions from my interview; note that they are for educational purposes only, and formulations can be intentionally altered.

Interview Questions

• Phone screen.

1. Simple problem on probabilities, uses knowledge of complementary and independent events.

2. How to efficiently find the sum of elements of a matrix stored in the memory by rows? (hint: think of CPU caches)

3. What are the smart pointers? What kinds do you know?

4. Coding exercise in an online editor. Implement copy constructor and assignment operator for a class containing pointers, with transfer of ownership. Both in C++98 and C++11.   Answer Question
    • Interview on math/statistics.

1. In a fully-connected graph, each *edge* is painted with one of two colours. Find the probability that the graph contains a fully-connected subgraph on 3 vertices that has edges of different colours.

2. In a city, 85% of all cars are green, and 15% of cars are red. There happened an accident. The witness claims that a red car is to blame. The probability the witness is correct is only 80%. Compute the posterior probability that the car was red given the witness’ words.

3. There is a ranking algorithm that maps pairs (query, documents) to relevance values. The loss function that compares the predicted relevance to the ground-truth relevance, is given. We can add a new feature of the pair (query, document). How to detect if it improves the model significantly? What if we have several candidate features?   Answer Question
    • Interview on algorithms.

You are not required to write code, it is enough to explain your algorithm to the interviewer.

1. There is a 2D polygon. The order of vertices is known. How to check if it contains a given 2D point? Now assume that we can build an indexing data structure off-line. Propose an algorithm that executes queries using logarithmic time w.r.t. number of vertices.

2. We have a large file of pairs (query, quantity) that defines a multiset on queries. You need to get an unbiased sample of about 1000 queries from that multiset. The challenge is to maintain O(1) space complexity. Can you do it in one pass?   Answer Question
    • C++ coding interview (using a laptop; should compile and run).

Implement input and evaluation of an arithmetic expression in abstract Polish notation. Should support non-negative integers and 4 standard arithmetic operations. Error handling and design matter. 1 hour.   Answer Question
    • System design.

1. Develop an architecture for an Instagram-like service. There are millions of users that may have friends. You need to handle the queries to load 10 latest photos from one’s friend feed.

2. Using an online editor, define the interfaces for classes shared_ptr and weak_ptr. Explain how you would implement reference counting within them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yandex.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter and invited to the phone interview. It was including both personal and technical questions which are not that hard. It was not easy to communicate with the recruiter because she was standing in very loudy room and it was close to impossible to hear her questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you know about data mining? Do you know about Linux?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yandex in January 2017.

Interview

I had two interviews by skype and one onsite. The interviewers were pleasant and helpful. Both skype interviews took roughly 40 minutes. Onsite interview consists of four parts and took around four hours.

Interview Questions

• There were some easy problems like Counting words in string, reverse linked list and some questions about complexity analysis.
      More advanced questions: print values of leafs of two trees in ascending order   Answer Question