Yandex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yandex Interview Questions

Updated Jan 14, 2018

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

Interview

I applied through the Yandex web site, and sent the solutions to a few tasks which took overall three full days to complete. The questions were fairly difficult and required good problem solving, knowledge about complexity, data structures and algorithms, and good C++ skills. After that, a recruiter contacted me and set up a Skype interview with two developers. I thought at this point they would just verify my level of knowledge about the skills I had proven to have by solving the tasks. Instead, they asked me questions that were more difficult than those posted on the web site. Really kind of tricky. Why don't they interview people for half an hour like all decent companies as a first step instead of making you develop for days and then rejecting you because you cannot answer a couple of tricky questions? At Yandex they probably think that half an hour of theirs is worth three days of yours. I think they should select people first, and make sure they fit their needs, and then ask them to develop for hours. And finally the funny thing is the email they send you telling you you are not going to get offered a job in which they suggest they might contact you for future opportunities. All to avoid THESE kind of reviews, which I think everyone should write.

Interview Questions

• Some coding involving constructors in C++ containing within themselves dynamically allocated objects and how to handle exceptions that might be risen   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews, 45 mins each. Since I was applying from another city, I was not invited for an on site interview. I do not know if they invite people who live in the same city to the office for extra interviews.

The first interviewer focused on Basic programming questions on a shared document. I was contacted for a second phone screen which was more on my school projects.

In general, the process was very fast, Very knowledgeable people doing the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Signed an Nda. Typical data structures related programming questions.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in December 2017.

Interview

The interviews were not so hard. There were about 10 questions and tasks in total, mostly focused on code-writing skills. Some were easy, some were truly technical. The staff was very kind and friendly and guided me through the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you have two really large txt files. In each file, there are written a lot of alphanumeric strings separated by a newline character. How would you get the strings which are present in the first file but do not appear in the second file?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)).

Interview

Online test - mostly math and probability theory.
    2 onsite interview with Senior Analyst and Managers. Questions about running experiments, measuring loss, users satisfaction and some python questions.
    How to improve measurements.

Interview Questions

• Q: how would you measure the effect of failing Yandex mobile app for 15 mins.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in November 2017.

Interview

A Yandex recruiter contacted me several months ago about a two positions of Software Engineer for customer-facing product and as a Systems Programmer for internal systems. I decided to try. The process took less than a month.

After resume checks, recruiter offered to go through Skype interview. Interviewer were very friendly, but despite I was preparing for coding interview, most of the questions was about Linux ("classic" questions on how to find CPU consumer or get rid of zombies/uninterruptible tasks).

Less than in a week they invited me to on-site interview (and paid for one-day travel to Moscow). It included 4 hour interviews for Systems Programmer position +1 bonus interview from another product team and one hour dedicated for dinner with recruiter. First three hours were devoted to coding -- you'll be expected to implement a simple algorithm or C++ utility class like very special type of iterator. I utterly failed third one, but interviewer was very helpful and finally got the seemingly right code from me (even though with 15-minute overtime).

Following two interviews very much easier: a little bit of code fixing and coding, large system design (again, no very specific or hard problems here) and lockless structures.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Interview

I was disappointed by the quality of Yandex employees and the recruiting process in general. Interviews were poorly organized and the interviewers were quite unkindly. The company asked a lot of standard brainteaser questions, but was not willing to discuss specific experience and job responsibilities.

Content Specialist Interview

Interview

It was an ordinary interview processid. Only Skype interview. We had two Times on skype. Process was about a month. I speak with an hr manager and departmant manager. It was 45 minutes.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yandex.

Interview

1) Write code online (usually 1-2 problems on algorithms)
     2) Series of 1-on-1 meetings with the team (and maybe others) - algorithms section, language section, architecture...
    3) Meeting with the team leader (fit basically), negotiating comp, where you see yourself in X years, stuff like that

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are writing new messanger. Go through the architecture   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in October 2017.

Interview

It was a Skype online interview using Skype Interview edition for online tasks solving. Interview duration was 50 minutes. First of all, I've presented my current and former job experience. Then answered my best achievement over last year. The remaining time was spent solving coding questions in the online editor.

The interviewer told that the recruiter will send me the decision result by e-mail.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to calculate the dot product of RLE-encoded vectors. Throw an exception in case of incorrect arguments.   Answer Question
    • Let suppose that for a given set of natural numbers we found the subset with maximum possible elements sum. There is only one limitation for a subset: sum of the two smallest elements must be greater that the maximal element.

Write a function to calculate the sum of that subset that maximizes elements sum according to limitation.

Estimate algorithmic complexity of your solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in September 2017.

Interview

This was skype interview one hour long. They checked prior experience, what did working befoe. Also, knowledge of standart C++ something like creating Copy constructor. And t the end some algorithm solving problems, like sorting strings.