Yandex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yandex Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2017

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

Interview

I applied through the Yandex web site, and sent the solutions to a few tasks which took overall three full days to complete. The questions were fairly difficult and required good problem solving, knowledge about complexity, data structures and algorithms, and good C++ skills. After that, a recruiter contacted me and set up a Skype interview with two developers. I thought at this point they would just verify my level of knowledge about the skills I had proven to have by solving the tasks. Instead, they asked me questions that were more difficult than those posted on the web site. Really kind of tricky. Why don't they interview people for half an hour like all decent companies as a first step instead of making you develop for days and then rejecting you because you cannot answer a couple of tricky questions? At Yandex they probably think that half an hour of theirs is worth three days of yours. I think they should select people first, and make sure they fit their needs, and then ask them to develop for hours. And finally the funny thing is the email they send you telling you you are not going to get offered a job in which they suggest they might contact you for future opportunities. All to avoid THESE kind of reviews, which I think everyone should write.

Interview Questions

• Some coding involving constructors in C++ containing within themselves dynamically allocated objects and how to handle exceptions that might be risen   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex in May 2014.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews, 45 mins each. Since I was applying from another city, I was not invited for an on site interview. I do not know if they invite people who live in the same city to the office for extra interviews.

The first interviewer focused on Basic programming questions on a shared document. I was contacted for a second phone screen which was more on my school projects.

In general, the process was very fast, Very knowledgeable people doing the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Signed an Nda. Typical data structures related programming questions.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in April 2017.

Interview

There were 4 parts of the interview and one home task. Interviewers were rather friendly and asked good questions. Interviewers were rather friendly and asked good questions.
    The parts were: work in team, logic, quantitative data and interview with senior manager.
    In the part "Logic" they asked to solve 2 or 3 tasks like in school. Others questions were more interesting and all about IT, internet, UX, marketing and project/product management.

Interview Questions

• 1. Walk me through your experience? Products and your roles.   Answer Question
    • 2. You are in charge "Traffic" service. You saw that the indicator of the current functionality on the web service maps.yandex.ru decreased from 50% to 28%. Why could this happen? What are you going to do?   Answer Question
    • 3. There are 3 hospitals in your city. The first hospital serves 2 districts, the second hospital - 5 districts, the third hospital - 3 districts. For the last month, the first hospital was not completed in time for 2 calls, for the second 11 calls, for the third 1 call.
      You receive one new ambulance. Which hospital will you give it to? What KPI's will you look at?
      Answer Question

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)).

Interview

We talked with an engineer over skype for about an hour. The interview was pretty standard: we discussed previous experience and background, motivation and why do I want to work here, some questions about Android fundamentals and foundations of Java.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between Parcelable and Serializable   Answer Question

Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in March 2017.

Interview

It was an informal 1-hour skype technical interview with coding (JS) tasks. Interviewer asked 3 questions, online code editor was used.
    No offer. Mostly because I was unaware of algorithmic questions - thanks to "not-really-in-it" HR from recruiting company.
    So as an advice - improve your knowledge of algorithms and data structures before you apply.

Interview Questions

• Write RLE-compression function; write fuzzy-search function; find difference in 2 arrays with the most performant way.   Answer Question

BI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in January 2017.

Interview

telephone call with HR
    face-to-face interview with DWH team. simple interview as many others. interviewers were samart and polit. interview was about 3hrs. they don't rush and i still didn't got feedback.

Interview Questions

• how to calculate average time waiting of elevators delivery in skyscraper. It mean that system fix buttons clicking, weight in elevator and time. How much person wait from calling elevator to end delivery on neccessary floor?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Yandex.

Interview

Good office, I have been invited into negotion room. There were two sections: algorithm interview and architecture interview. Before the interview there were two test tasks, each of them candidates were need to pass into verification system. The hr manager was very apologize girl.

Interview Questions

• Two tasks about linked list and stack and one task about architecture   1 Answer

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Yekaterinburg (Russia)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex (Yekaterinburg (Russia)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was divided into 5 sections for 1 hour. Each section had its own task. Was the following section: write test case, test services, to solve tasks on programming and theoretical part. Before get a personal interview I passed the Skype interview. The theoretical part I find difficult and the recruiter asked for every word written in the resume. Better than nothing to invent.

Interview Questions

• Make test cases for calculator.   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yandex (Moscow (Russia)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was asked about myself, then typical interview questions like
    1. Describe how do std::set, std::map work
        I was expected to say about search trees
    2. How would yoy write c++code for merging 2 arrays
        I've written a code but was too inattentive, so didn't use std-functions that would optimize my code
    Overall interviewer was polite and waited for my long thinking process

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe how do std::set, std::map work
      2. How would yoy write c++code for merging 2 arrays
      1 Answer

Software Engineer C++ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yandex (Berlin (Germany)) in November 2016.

Interview

- too many rounds.
    - very friendly.
    - it is more positive for a candidate, if they solve two tasks in the given time instead of one.
    - there is a very limited time to solve the tasks.
    - and a weird keyboard layout.
    - get familiar with the environment first, you'll have ample time, if you're not panicking.
    - probe you for STL containers and algorithms in general.

It was my first onsite interview, and I panicked, unfortunately. Maybe next year.

Interview Questions

• Dynamic programming and STL tasks. I got only algorithm questions, analysis of their running time.   Answer Question