YouTube Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at YouTube

3.2

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YouTube (San Bruno, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter who set up a phone interview. Spoke with someone on the team for 30 minutes about my opinion on internet trends and policy issues. Immediately contacted by recruiter who set up an on-site interview. On site interview included 4 individual interviews and a team lunch. Found out about a week later I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at YouTube?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at YouTube in March 2014.

Interview

a recruiter contact me online and we made a phone interview a couple weeks later. when i passed the phone interview, the next step is on-site, it took about 2 weeks.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at YouTube in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted about a month later after career fair, and was scheduled for a phone interview. The recruiter was quite professional. I was asked about general data structure questions like what is a hashmap, the time complexity of operations of hashmap and bst, when you prefer bst to hashmap, what is java gc. Then I wrote a small program to remove duplicate strings in a file on google doc.
    Then I received a call from recruiter next day telling me to prepare for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• generally not hard. you have to be clear with basic data structures   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at YouTube (San Bruno, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter at first.
    I had a phone screen which was fairly easy.
    Recruiter then said I passed the screen and set up onsite interview.
    She spoke to me briefly and told me what to prepare.
    The onsite interviews went well but I thought I was slow in answering questions.

I was rejected despite getting answer right on 3/4 rounds because I was slow at coding. I didn't have coding fluidity also and I needed prompting. I was asked to apply in 1 year's time which they thought was required for me to get enough experience in coding.

Excellent experience overall

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen:
      1. Implement a function to penalize a student for over 3 continuous days of late arrival or over 2 days of absent in total.
      2. Implement a stack. Include a method to find maximum element in the stack in O(1)

Onsite:
      1. Auto-complete functionality with code.
      2. Mirror reflecting an image with code.
      3. Wiggle sort: i.e. rearrange an array such that A0 > A1 < A2 > A3 < A4 > .......... < AN in one pass.
      4. Architectural implications of summing elements of an array in GORY detail.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YouTube (San Jose, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

The first round was a telephonic interview. A engineer from Google took the interview and we spoke for about 35 minutes. The question was related to word guessing. I was asked to write a simple implementation or pseudocode. I was also asked about my ideas on how to solve the situation in the best possible way. Big-O notation are also important.

Interview Questions

• The implementation part was difficult. However, with practice we should be able to get through this round fairly easily.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at YouTube in March 2014.

Interview

Apply it on google, receive the response from recruiter after a weekend and has a 45-minutes Technical interview after three weeks. This was my first interview. I was too nervous and interviewer had an accent, so I waste a lot of time to understand the question itself. The question is to design a class to realize three functions.

Interview Questions

• It is hard to understand the question in a short time when the interviewer has an accent for your first few interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at YouTube (San Jose, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Telephonic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YouTube (San Bruno, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

The onsite interview includes 4 rounds: including general coding, architect, complexity analysis and a discussion on your current project. A lunch will be included during the interview, but the host won't contribute to your feedback.
    My interview were performed during a busy season, thus I need to drive from Pier 39 to San Bruno, and it was hard to park near the Youtube office

Interview Questions

• Finding the local minimal with sublinear time.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at YouTube (San Bruno, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

A Youtube recruiter somehow obtained my resume and called me up to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview went quite smoothly - it consisted of a few background questions, some broad technical questions, and some more specific programming questions. For the last part, we used a shared GoogleDoc, such that I was able to type out my answers.

I was flown out to the Youtube campus (they paid) and put up in a really nice hotel with a group of ~30 total candidates (for what it's worth, 90% of these were graduate students). We had a day-long group tour, including four 1-on-1 interviews, finishing with a dinner at a 5-star hotel restaurant.

The 1-on-1 interviews all had at least one technical question, but the rest of the content varied depending on the interviewer. Some asked questions about spam prevention, others about memory allocation. There were no questions like "how many pennies can you stack end-to-end to the moon?"

It's been almost a year, so I can't remember too many specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Implement a malloc-like function such that it only returns pointers evenly divisible by N (presumably some power of 2). Use as little overhead as possible. Implement the corresponding free() function.   Answer Question
    • Solve Youtube's comment-spam question.   Answer Question
    • Rather straight-forward bucket sort question.   Answer Question
    • Rather straight-forward hash question, touching on complexity, hash function distribution, etc.   Answer Question
    • Garbage collection   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at YouTube (San Bruno, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Started off with a phone interview. I did not hear back for about 3 weeks so I thought they were not interested but then the interviewer called back and scheduled a 2nd phone interview. That went well and they called me in for an on-site-interview. Their campus is really nice and they give free breakfast and lunch. On-site interviewers were professional except one of them. He jumped to technical questions without even introducing himself or asking me about my background.

Interview Questions

• Mainstream database questions and a few Java questions since my background was in Java   Answer Question
    • Given N people on an MxM grid, find the point which requires the least total distance covered by all people to meet at this point.   2 Answers
    • Assuming that an English dictionary is available, design a spelling corrector.   Answer Question
    • Design the data structures for the Snake game.   Answer Question
    • Given K sorted buckets which in total have N elements, merge these buckets so that the resulting bucket is also sorted. Also, do it better than O(NlogN).   1 Answer