YouTube Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Susan Wojcicki

Pros
  • unlimited free food (breakfast, lunch, dinner) (in 10 reviews)

• nice work life balance, basically support everything you need, nice culture (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • especially if the temporary employees are dipping into full-time work (in 7 reviews)

• I can't believe there's a lot of work and they pay only when you get (in 3 reviews)

1. "It's Google. Best place to work for, if you've got a good manager."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in San Bruno, CA

I worked at YouTube full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Google invests a lot in their employees. Training, happiness, off sites, travel, perks, benefits, and environment.

Cons

Some departments are managed poorly. Also people are sometimes promoted to positions of management who should not be managers

Advice to Management

Perf is great. You treat your employees great. Best experience I've ever had at a company.

2. "awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at YouTube full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

its awesome and fun yay

Cons

its a lot of work

Advice to Management

awesome

3. "great job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at YouTube (Less than a year)

Pros

great staff people were great, had a great time going to work every day

Cons

they sometimes make you have too much fun which is not a con

Advice to Management

nothing, they are doing a great job and will continue to do so

5. "Senior Strategist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I worked at YouTube full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing coworkers keep you motivated to keep trying ambitious projects. Good managers can help you excel and be promoted quickly.

Cons

The company used to have a different form before being more fully embraced by Google - once it reached maturity the focus on integrating ads shifted the focus from big ideas and added bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Generally management does a great job and focuses on the supporting the core talent. Keep pushing the automatic feeds to users based on previous views so I never have to touch the screen to search for something you that wasn't organically presented to me.

6. "Content creator"

Current Employee - Content Creator in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Content Creator in Troy, MI

I have been working at YouTube part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative freedom, as long as you stay within the guidelines and avoid copy right infringements and create ad friendly content. No set schedule.

Cons

Hard to grow a following. Requires consistent nurturing and studying new tactics. You have to be very serious about progressing to get to where you want to be. TAKES TIME

"Amazing Company, Hit or Miss Management"

Former Employee - Product Specialist Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist Manager in San Bruno, CA

I worked at YouTube (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great perks, they take care of their employees.
    A ton of flexibility. You are generally trusted to do what you need to do to get the job done.
    Lots of travel. Lots of cross-functional influence.

Cons

Managers are either amazing or terrible. I had 4 managers in 5 years (same position) and 2 were some of the greatest, most inspiring people ever. The other 2 were completely checked-out miserable sh*ts.

8. "Bad career prospects as SWE"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

Pros

Product is hugely popular, large *potential* for impact in your work.

Cons

Management in a constant state of flux. In the same position I had more than 1 manager per year; some colleagues had several managers per year. Result of management flux: VERY difficult to get promoted. New managers don't know your past achievements and aren't supportive enough during promotion process. Also YouTube has much lower-level SWEs on average than Google in general, so it's hard to find higher-level people to support your promotion case.
      Size and complexity of organization kills innovation. Extremely hard to launch new features. Despite what management says, launches are still required for promotion.
      I consider my tenure at YouTube a colossal waste of time; I plan to transfer to Google to start over and have a chance at career progression.
      Also: YouTube doesn't do enough to support non-superstar content creators. YouTube search seems to recommend high-ad-revenue videos to people to watch next; in contrast, Google search recommends the most appropriate results for the user. Thus YouTube's search/recommendation system isn't consistent with my values or Google's mission to organize the world's information.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to support SWE career growth when managers are all over the place, swapping teams and re-organizing constantly. Promotion requires multiple level N+2 peers, but most people are level 3 and 4, so N+2 is hard to find. Make it possible for SWEs to get promoted in these immature, disorganized teams. Of the three most talented people I knew who started when I did, one left YouTube after a mere 4 weeks, one quit Google completely after 6 months, and one transferred to Google within a year; I stayed and regret it. It's probably fine for a first job straight out of undergrad, but not for those of us with experience and long-term career aspirations at Google.

"Solutions consultant"

Current Employee - Partner Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Partner Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at YouTube full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work with people from different teams without hierarchical red tapes across product, marketing, support, engineering teams. Free food.

Cons

Promotion is hard because it is not based on your performance. You have to fight for the visibility and make a case to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Reduce middle management layer and promote people based in their competency, not visibility.

"Exiting Googler"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YouTube full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great perks, amazing colleagues, relevant company in the world, great growth, pretty flat

Cons

Some politics, high leadership turnover

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, double down on international.

"YouTube Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I worked at YouTube full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent and interesting co-workers, very high morale, good compensation, high impact -- billions of users, some creating actual revolutions like the arab spring. Not every employee knows it, but YouTube is what you make of it. You have 20% time to prove your own ideas.

Cons

You're swimming in a very big pond. It can be very slow to launch your feature because of the challenges of scale.

Advice to Management

Management mostly stays out of your way. I'd advise them to start technical initiatives aimed at decoupling the various teams.