ZL Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 14, 2017

3.2

Sales/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Interview

Do not waste your time. Easily the worst and longest interview process I have ever been through. I applied and then was emailed to fill out a very long, tedious, and pointless group of tests including behavioral questions, math questions, and finally, an essay. First was a phone interview with a recruiter who used to work at the company and now has his own recruiting firm that works for the company. He forgot about my initial call and rescheduled me to an on site interview.

By the way, I had applied under the marketing associate role. When I arrived for the interview, I was given more tedious math tests and various other tests. Took those, talked to the recruiter for about 15 minutes, and he decided I would be better in sales, which I wasn't opposed to. Talked to the sales manager.

Next, after a good 3 or so weeks I was finally able to meet the CEO for the final interview process. This was the most random, awkward, unrelated to the job interview I had ever been a part of. The questions had nothing at all to do with the position or any skillset that I carried. At the end of the day, I didn't hear back for 2-3 weeks, with me sending follow up emails multiple times.

Once I finally did hear back, I was told the CEO was worried because of the simple fact that I had not applied to enough jobs for his liking. The recruiter then told me they had decided they weren't hiring until 2-3 months later. Complete waste of about 3 months.

To be honest, I should have left the process early on with all of the red flags, but I was reeled in by the high pay they offer.

Very unprofessional, weird, and long process.

Interview Questions

• What news sites do you get information from?
      Tell me something interesting that you learned in the past 30 days from the news. (His example was something about an another from another country)
      Tell me a joke. "Not a riddle." A joke.
      Tell me a story.
      You're stuck in this room and a chip in the bottom of a narrow deep hole in the middle of the room is going to blow up unless you can find a way to get that chip and deactivate it. What do you do?
      How many jobs have you applied to?

Much more uncomfortable and completely random questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ZL Technologies.

Interview

Filled out 2 online assessments and then my first interview was in person for about an hour and a half with one HR person. Some behavioral, some brain teasers and a couple of longer questions about the marketing industry.

Sales and Solutions Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ZL Technologies.

Interview

It was a weird, long and tiring experience, which made me feel like my time wasn't valuable.

It started out with a speed test I had to take online and then I had a call with the recruiter. He asked me some puzzles over the phone. Though I understand the reason for that, I believe it would be a better use of time if he concentrated on my experiences so far and the skill set I bring to the position (I am a professional with around 5 years of experience).

The next step was calling me for an onsite which was a disaster. They gave me the speed test to do it again and the recruiter then followed up with some more puzzles. The people who were supposed to talk to me weren't available, they were sending in random people all of whom seemed no where interested in my experience and skills. It seemed like they were interviewing a new grad, fresh out of college instead of a professional with experience.

After the onsite, they did not get back to me for a week and then I hear back scheduling a couple more phone interviews. One of them never called and the other one was completely unaware of my profile. Then there was another one scheduled with the guy who missed it the first time and he called, but late.

I got fed up by this time, and decided to discontinue the process. There was absolutely no respect for my time and no one was interested in what I can contribute to the company. Everyone was focused on what they can make me do. None of the people I talked to had any idea regarding which team to put me on. They were indicating a hit and trial method.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZL Technologies (San Jose, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

They have you take a few initial tests - speed tests, writing an essay. Then they asked a lot of questions about my resume and a few other logic tests.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of what you think is a good advertisement model and what is a bad?   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ZL Technologies in January 2017.

Interview

Interview started with a online assessment, then proceeds to a couple phone interviews. After each phone interview, the employer seems to respond rather quickly, within 1-2 weeks within each phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the angle between the hour and minute hand for 3:15?   1 Answer

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZL Technologies.

Interview

Started out with an online math and skills test, followed my an invitation to do an in-person interview. When I arrived there, I was made to do another skills test and then had to wait for a while. Very disorganized process. Interviewer was a former employee. After the interview, did not get through to the next rounds.

I respect that they have a process, but I go to an Ivy League school and found the tests unnecessary. It would have been better if they had an in-depth case interview instead.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ZL Technologies (Milpitas, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

1. I had to give some Maths and English test (50 questions in 15 mins kind of) which is really weird in today's hiring process. I guess I made through that.
    2. Next the recruiter called me for a phone screen round(45 mins). Asked me couple of brain teasers. I was able to solve them and I explained the way I solved it.
    3. Got on site call: total 5 rounds.
       i. Recruiter gave me a test paper which had same questions from first rounds test, which is again dumb thing to do. (15 mins)
      ii. Technical interview with one Senior Software Engineer. He asked me 2 coding questions. (mentioned below) (45 mins)
      iii. This round was general about the java concepts. Basically this person was checking whether I had knowledge of all the basics of Java. (45 mins)
      iv. In this round, the interviewer just asked about my resume and future goals. (30-40 mins)
      v. In this round, the interviewer asked me about the HTTP, REST and all the other stuff (30 mins)
      vi. This person was from the customer support team and had a very warm conversation with him for half hour (30 mins)
      vii. For this round, CTO was the interviewer and he was extremely rude. Worst person I have ever seen in my entire life. Extremely unprofessional. He asked me simple technical questions and then took the conversation to 'How bad today's engineers are (according to him, I was one of them)'.

Finally, after 4-5 weeks of onsite interview the recruiter called and offered me the job. But definitely I wouldn't want to work for a company who doesn't even care for their future employees.

Summary: One person (CTO) screwed everything. He definitely should change his attitude in today's world.

Interview Questions

• 1. Reverse the string
      2. Implement your own power function in Java
      3. Hash Map internal working
      4. Difference between LinkedList and ArrayList
      5. REST Methods
      6. How does the Web works?   Answer Question

Marketing and Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ZL Technologies (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone interview after personality and math tests. Have not received word back from them 1 month after phone interview. Interviewer was a former employee and was knowledgable about the company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ZL Technologies in March 2016.

Interview

First was a phone interview and math skills test. The recruiter was very nice and easy to talk to, but did ask some tough questions that really make you think. After the phone interview, you get called back for an in-person interview with the CEO. It is a two hour interview, but you learn a lot about yourself from the questions he asks you. Once again, they are tough questions, but you really figure out your strengths and weaknesses and if the company would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Convince me of something. Present arguments for both sides and then convince me of one side of the argument.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ZL Technologies (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

The first step is a speed math test. Very basic math, 50 problems in about 16 minutes.

Step two is a phone interview with a recruiter. They want to test how well you can speak and formulate arguments by asking you to pitch a merger of two companies, discuss a good and bad add campaign, and convince them of something that is difficult to convince someone of. They give plenty of time so don't feel a need to rush.

Step three is meeting with the CEO in an on site interview. If it happens to be Kon Leong, he is a very articulate man with a lot of wisdom to give. He dissected my resume in a very calm way, asked me to redo to the speed test in person, and gave me general advice about life. I'd listen more than you speak and take the time to clearly express what you want to say.

The last step of the interview process is with the division they believe you will be working in. For me, it was sales. The whole thing was more of a formality where they ask about any red flags that might have come up. They asked about qualities that reflect the role, such as leadership