Zalando Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Zalando

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer/Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)) in May 2020.

Interview

In general: I would say it's one of my best interview experiences at my top 10 Software companies list, I didn't make the final offer however I'm so happy to meet all people there and invest my time with them.
    The process started with contact with one amazing Zalando recruiter, explained to me everything, and then arrange my next steps.
    2nd Codility exam.
    3rd meet the manager had an online meeting with him technically and behaviorally, both were so happy after this step.
    4th Onsite interview (Unlikely we had to have it online due to current situation) 4 interviews include life coding session (Problem-solving), system design, behavioral, Technical topics, overall this day I meet 7 new engineers between seniors and team leads.
    Again I passed with amazing feedback from both sides, they offered me an offer which I was still thinking about and then the manager thought also that I'll fit for the leading position and I was happy to conduct one more interview behavioral and leading skils with him and a team lead.
    Thankfully I managed to pass and it was great, Zalando gives me an offer but due to other points we didn't agree to proceed now, we wished luck for each other with great respect and appreciation and wishing our roads might cross in the feature.

Interview Questions

• Real problem solving related to CSV operations.
      System design for one of Zalando services.
      Behavioural questions about managing a team, motivating them, conflicts, new process introducing   Answer Question

Backend Engineer - Outfits Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY) in June 2020.

Interview

I received codility task and after that received invitation for interview. There was technical issue with system and on the time of interview no one showed up. No answer to my mails. No answer to phone calls. Recruiter explained to me that there was technical issue and she was on her annual leave. We rescheduled and she said she will send me invitation to next interview. After few days I didn't received any invitation and decided write email to check if everything ok. I received auto-reply about annual leave this time. After a few days I received invitation where I picked available time slots for next interview. After this I never heard back from company. I also wrote mail to be sure no technical issue this time. But unfortunately I never received any answer.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I involved six interviews in different times and after the final interview HR said your English is not suitable for us. How did not you examine my speaking skills on first interview ? (which took 1 hour). I could spend my time other things..

Commercial Business - Head Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zalando in March 2020.

Interview

Straight forward. (I was in the process of interviewing early stages). Phone interview with HR, then scheduled phone interview with hiring Director.

Most importantly, An HR recruiter contacted me a few days before my interview with the hiring Director only to tell me they have selected a candidate already. Why put me through the process if you knew you were going to offer this to another candidate? Additionally, if there are other candidates in the pipeline that are close to an offer why not be transparent and share that information?

For a company whose core values...specifically "Empowerment and Transparency" ...I am disappointed that you aren't delivering on that promise.

Those of you applying and getting interviews with this company, be sure to ask the right questions upfront and be sure to get the answers that you need. For example, how many interviewees are in the pipeline for this role? How many are being extended an offer or are in the final stages of interviewing? Why are you considering me for this role amidst your in-process candidate pool? etc etc and make a tough decision if necessary because your time is valuable. Companies, specifically HR orgs are willing to waste your time to increase metrics, buzz, and create fail safes or contingencies for roles...

...Remember that a company's #1 asset is its current and potential employees.

Zalando this interview experience does not make you look good whatsoever and with respect to your desires to become the "Amazon of Fashion"...I wouldn't hop on board

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why Zalando/Role. Walk me through your experience and how it relates to the role...etc.   Answer Question

Scala Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY).

Interview

I was appling 2 times. Each time I solved codilite problems. First time I got approx 90%,second time 100%. Refuced first time because my English was insufficient for them so I took lessons and applied again in 6 month. Second time refused on initial HR interview stage with no clear explanation.

Interview Questions

• Thech questulion on Computer science, experience and technology, codility test :2-3 algorythmical problems for 90 minutes.   Answer Question

Team Lead Product Quality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY) in November 2019.

Interview

I had two video interviews since I was based in the US and the position was in Germany. The interview process used a software program to schedule which was easy to use. The job and company where thoroughly described by the person who interviewed me (my would-be boss). They were clear on the other candidates and the timeline for making their decision on who would get the role. They even responded to my thank you letters after each interview and once I was notified that I wasn't selected for the role they thanked me for my time and provided me an opportunity to discuss further with them if I wanted why I wasnt chosen. And also they requested I fill out a brief survey on their interview process. I think being an European company they are more transparent and open with communication which I appreciate. American companies could learn a LOT from Zalando's professional process and feedback. Most US companies just ghost you. Even though I didnt get the role I have a high amount of respect for Zalando.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about a potential situation or problem that would encounter often in my role and they wanted to know how I would tackle it   Answer Question
    • They wanted to know if I'd be comfortable with rapid change in the company. For example, my role could he changed in 2 years and if I'd be ok with that.   Answer Question

Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY).

Interview

I submit my resume on Zalando's website. Couple of days later, the recruiter reached me out and we arranged a Google Hangouts meeting with team lead. All questions are so basic and cliche. I wish I expected that whole questions are more technical.

PMO Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY).

Interview

It was initial discussion with HR to shortlist for next interview round. Even though there were many applications for this profile but they were looking for more foreign experience with ecommerce companies.

Product Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando in March 2018.

Interview

Someone from HR reached out and set up a video call with two members of team. The interview included some fit questions and some questions about my previous experiences. There was also a puzzle question in German.

They ask about salary expectations right up front. Anyone with economics training knows this is really terrible practice towards applicants, given the info asymmetries during job search process. My guess is that they will take the cheapest person with the baseline level of skills. They're not looking for great people.

One other thing, I asked for and they provided feedback which I thought was very nice and uncommon.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

First interview went ok, but on technical interview felt a bit of arrogance by the interviewers and lack of focus on what the role should be about. Sad to have such experience because first interviews were with cool people.

Interview Questions

• We use http for communicating between microservices, why do you advocate rpc?   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me, which turned into a Skype chat.

This was followed by a Skype interview with another recruiter, who then signed me up for a Codility online test.

The coding test had no real relevance to what I would be working on, this part of the process felt silly and condescending.

Finally, 3 separate hour long Skype coding interviews on the same day.

I got to code in two of these interviews, which went great.

I bombed the last of these where I had a sour and negative interviewer who vetoed me.

Interview Questions

• Describe your biggest work failure.   2 Answers