hmv Interview Questions | Glassdoor

hmv Interview Questions

Updated Jan 13, 2017

2.1

Christmas Temp Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at hmv in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online in November and was asked to go to an interview in early December.

I had to fill out a trivia questionnaire including questions on some of the stores products before having a 1-1 interview with the manager.

They got back to me and gave me feedback on my interview, saying I came across well but I didn't have enough experience to cope with the busy time of year.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how the loyalty card system works and could you sell them to customers?   Answer Question
    • What sort of experience do you have in relation to the role?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at hmv (Plymouth, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was relaxed and easy-going, but it did involve a fair amount of teamwork and contributing to discussions.

I applied online and received a phone call the next day, offering me to a group interview. The other applicants in the group were very friendly and polite, so this put me at ease. The interviewers/assessors were also very friendly. However, I was nervous as I usually am at any interview!

We were each asked which superhero we would be and why, and then had to split into two teams and organised a pile of films in order of their dates of release. They assured us that if we got this wrong, it wouldn't jeopardise an offer for the job. Then we had to write down a list of what we thought made great customer service, and explain this to the group.

Next, we had to go out on to the shop floor and select two items that would suit our chosen customer(s). We then had to present these items to the group, and the interviewers, and "sell" the items to them. We then had to tell the group the last item we bought and why we bought it.

Overall, it was a good experience! I just wish I was a bit more talkative. I think the more you know about film and TV, the better chance you have of getting the job! The interviewers seemed very impressed with a few members of the group who talked non-stop and appeared very confident with their product knowledge.

I also expected the interviewers to ask more questions about our competency, skills and experience but this was asked during the application process, so they probably didn't need to know any more.

Less than a week later I received an email offering me the job. So I guess it didn't matter that I came across nervous after all. Thanks HMV! :)

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Truro, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at hmv (Truro, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was called for a group interview three days later. The other applicants put me at ease, and it was great to work as a team throughout the interview process.
    We first discussed the main ideals of "What makes a great sales associate" - a good team exercise.
    Then we were given a brief tour of the store, and given opportunities to volunteer to "sell" a product to the assistant manager, leading the interview process. They were very welcoming and encouraging, especially towards one applicant that appeared to be struggling with the pressure of the interview; we all appreciated the neutral outlook, and it wasn't easy to see if any 'favourites' had been made during the interview itself.
    The interview finished after an hour or so, and we were given the chance to ask some questions as a group, which were all answered well. We were thanked for our time and I enjoyed the experience!

Interview Questions

• Name three David Bowie albums.   Answer Question
    • Who won best male actor at the 2016 Oscars?   Answer Question
    • What's the best-selling first-person shooter series?   Answer Question
    • What could you sell with this product to increase the average transaction price for sales like this?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had no need to negotiate.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at hmv (Brighton, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I first applied online and then I got a phone call about an interview about a week later. My interview was with the manager and assistant manager. The manager said he was only there to listen in but did end up actively taking part in the process. The whole thing was over in about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why HMV?   Answer Question
    • Why me?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about an experience with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your previous retail experience and how it can be transferred over to working at HMV.   1 Answer
    • They asked me what I knew about a random selection of movies and music that they had pre-selected.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Bristol, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

It was going fine at first, as it was my first job interview. The interviewer gave descriptions of the jobs I was applying for. I managed to answer the first question but I got more nervous when I had to answer the second question. The interviewer did give me some hints to the question until I managed to say one thing as part of the answer.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at hmv (Staines, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and absolutely smashed the questions because im really into to tech, films and games. Got a call back after a few days. Very friendly and if anything wanted me to do well. I was just too nervous. Additionally they had me fill out a quiz with a few bizarre questions. but it was to test how up to date your knowledge is. I was interview by the manager and assistant manager. They were genuinely nice people, talkative and open. i i thought that if i wasn't so nervous i could have gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a conflict? (they didn't specify whether it was customer or colleague related)   Answer Question

Xmas Casual Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Sheffield, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Really laid back interview, more so of a chat about our favourite music and videogames and such. Then some competency based questions, probably brush up on these because I was sure I got the job but didn't answer these in depth enough.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience where you delivered excellent customer service   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was just a personal interview with basic sales/customer service type questions. I was prepared for a pop-quiz of music and films but we didn't get one. It was one on one and probably took about 15 minutes. It was generally quite casual. They didn't mind that I was more into film than gaming. I left feeling quite positive about the experience even though I only had a little bit of customer service experience previously.

Retail Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at hmv (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Starts with a phone screening interview, getting to know basic personal information, personality fit and product knowledge.
    When selected to come in basic product knowledge test followed by one on one interview. One on One goes over product questions, availability, information on the position and questions on how previous experience would benefit working within the role.

Film Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at hmv.

Interview

Quick general knowledge quiz, fairly easy if you really do want the job and are the right fit (which male has won the most oscars? who would play you in a movie and why? matching album titles to artists). More of a chat than anything really - they want to see your personality.