1E Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sumir Karayi

Pros
  • You get to work with immensely talented people, and, as a developer, see the technology you work on flourish and make a real difference to customers (in 4 reviews)

• Great technology and good people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They had 4 VPs of Sales in 4 years and cleaned out all Sales management 2 times in three years (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management, especially the CEO in London, in extremely incompetent at managing the company (in 4 reviews)

"Account Director"

Former Employee - Director in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Plano, TX

I worked at 1E full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Innovative technology, strong culture, solid ROI

Cons

Sales management stability. 6 different sales leaders over the last 8 years

"If you hire the best, listen to them (message to management)"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at 1E full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great talent both in sales and development.

Cons

Incredibly high turnover. At one point reported turnover was in excess of 30% (may have been 40%) annually. The line from the CEO was that he needed to look into that. The turnover continues.

CEO governs with a whim - what is great today is wrong tomorrow (and will blame others). They had countless numbers of VPs of Sales in 4 years and cleaned out all sales management 2 times while I was there. Morale is low as a result.

Classic case of a technologist not knowing how to run a company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Stop saying you hire the best - only to ignore them. Constant layoffs will never build the company.

"Good product and technology. VERY BAD senior management!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at 1E full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Talented engineers who are experts in their field
    -Excellent medical benefits. Fully paid and great coverage
    -Flexible work arrangement. Can work from home a lot.
    -Convenient office location located right across Penn Station

Cons

-Senior management, especially the CEO in London, in extremely incompetent at managing the company. I remember interviewing with the CEO via Skype and seeing him smile for 5 seconds and then resumed to a very awkward facial expression. He micromanages everything and runs the company with no strategy. Every decision is based on a whim.
    -HIGH turn-over rate. I repeat-HIGH turnover rate. I was there for less than a year and most of my colleagues I worked with are gone by now. Senior management conducts huge layoffs every quarter. Employee morale is low and office politics are toxic, so much so that everyone runs around finding new jobs while praying not to get fired before finding their next employer.
    -Management plays favorites. This is definitely an old boy's club. If you're in the club, you will be covered. If not, you're out the door the next day when management decides they need a new "direction".

Advice to Management

If you don't care about your employees, you will not survive very long in this business as good talents don't stay for the amount of disrespect they receive here on a daily basis. Work on the culture and stop doing layoffs every three months because you have no strategy and blame that on hard-working employees.

"Poisonous Environment to Work in"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Charleston, SC

I worked at 1E full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They used to be a fun place to work where you could charge hard and bring solutions to your customers that helped them out. The culture also used to be more relaxed to work at.

Cons

First big blood-letting in 2013 with 40% of the work force cut started the poisonous environment.
    Worked through a couple of the cuts which just created a more and more negative place to work. My manager told me that the "rats are fleeing the sinking ship and get off while you can."
    CEO and President are arrogant and hate anyone questioning their ever-changing vision of where the company should go. They had 4 VPs of Sales in 4 years and cleaned out all Sales management 2 times in three years. Instead of realizing that the products didn't work as advertised they continually blamed sales. Only reason they are still around is because their only competition in one market(Adaptiva) is just as inept as they are.
    MIcrosoft will eventually put both 1E and Adaptiva out of business with enhancements to System Center that make their products obsolete.

Advice to Management

Keep your resume current because you will not last more than 18 months.

"Great CEO and VP America"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at 1E full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome list of clients, you'll work with some of the largest and most prestigious enterprises in the world. CEO that really cares about his products and his customers.

Cons

Some of the products need some love - and are often "sold" with features that are more on paper than reality.

"Leadership remains a challenge"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at 1E full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Concept for the products is terrific; however, the company has had trouble executing on the vision for what the products are supposed to do. Firm feels like a life-style company for the senior team.

Cons

Leadership is closely controlled by majority owner and friends, who struggle to create a positive culture while navigating the firm. Decisions are created and abandoned very quickly, leading to confusion and lack of commitment to a common goal.

Advice to Management

Add external leadership and board voices

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Best company I have ever worked for. Dynamic and growing really quickly. I enjoy working with such passionate and intelligent individuals. We've gone through our ups and downs but being however we've just had our most successful 2 quarters in the history of the company. This just proves that we're doing something right. I've learned so much here that will really benefit me in my career. Flex time is really great, benefits are also very good.

Cons

Communication could be a bit better

Apr 1, 2015 – VP Global HR

Thanks you for the positive feedback. It's great to hear you are enjoying your time with us. We are striving to get the balance of communication right. Please do let us know if you would like to ... More

9. "Exciting place..solid people, positive environment"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at 1E full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solutions are unique with measurable value for clients
    People are smart, motivated and eager to help
    Outstanding F500 client reference list

Cons

Fast-growth company requires entrepreneurial personality from employees..no hand-holding

"Fantastic young, energetic, growing company in an expanding IT sector."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at 1E full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and corporate culture, tons of subject matter experts in Microsoft technologies, adequate pay, amazing benefits (though admittedly less than what our UK counterparts get). If you do your job well and make a name for yourself, sky's the limit.

Cons

Sometimes management in the UK forgets that we don't get as many government benefits in the US, and that people over here expect hard work to be rewarded with pay raises, promotions, and sizable (not cursory) bonuses. Marketing department has been non-existent.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, the structures of various departments need to adapt and also provide promotion opportunities to loyal, hardworking employees who have stuck it out through the difficult times, not just cursory bonuses with a promise of something better at the next review every single time. Also, get your act in gear with marketing! 1E should be a household name by now in the UK and US, certainly amongst the technorati.

Sep 4, 2013 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. We believe we have the best employees in the business, and we’re thrilled that you agree. We think Community is a vitally important part of what makes a ... More

"Good Products, Terrible leadership and execution"

Former Employee - Sales in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Sales in Honolulu, HI

I worked at 1E full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay on par
    Products are good
    Customer facing people are quality folks as is most of product management

Cons

It's a little ironic that the CEO preaches 1E sunshine when the entire company has a black cloud over it.
    CEO runs it as his baby. His way or the highway
    Can't get out of neutral. Same or less revenue for how many years now?
    Unbelievable revolving door at the executive level
    Certain executives are untouchable, have been there since the beginning. Wonder why there is a problem with execution?

Advice to Management

Buy out CEO if your serious about succeeding or make him Chief Product Officer. Get someone in there with a proven track record of taking companies to the next level. What do you want to be when you grow up? It's way past time to decide.

Sep 4, 2013 – Human Resources Manager

We’re grateful for your review, and your honest feedback. We’re very proud of both our products, which are widely recognised as industry-leading, and our staff, who we must agree are “quality ... More