5AM Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brent Gendleman
1 Rating

"Excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Marlboro, MD

I worked at 5AM Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary. Excellent benefits. Awesome work culture. Easily accessible by metro and parking on site. Teleworking option was great. Felt apart of the company. Pretty transparent.

Cons

Traffic sucks getting to work. Red line isn't that pleasant. Too many leaders it got a little confusing. Gave too many people power.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees and keeping them in the loop. Encourage more team building exercises.

"Was fun and challenging company, it changed over the years, not sure about nowadays."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rockville, MD

I worked at 5AM Solutions full-time

Pros

Interesting biological sciences-related projects with strong user/society value. Smart engaged engineers and very competent project management. Great health benefits and working-from-home options.

Cons

It is consulting, and possess all of the cons inherent in that business model (lots of stupid meetings, contract convolutions, working with less than competent teams from other contractors, etc.). I just never felt completely comfortable around my colleagues...not sure why. All the best original people left, and replacements were less good, and in one case somewhat malevolent, which is never good in an organization.

Advice to Management

It was a few years ago, so anything specific i have to say is most likely utterly meaningless, so i will speak generally: i always liked how open and honest things felt, in contrast to other companies I have worked for, so keep that up. Also, the focus on employee health, and generous benefits for same, was a great aspect of the company.

"technical position at 5AM solutions in Rockville,md"

Former Employee - Technical in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Technical in Rockville, MD

I worked at 5AM Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

my peers and technical team leads were good people

Cons

Management team and certain members of the board of directors have a long-running hostile relationship. company revenues are flat. Capricious decision-making.

Advice to Management

Pay market-rate salaries. Focus on the business, not emotions. Put the human in human resources.

"Great energetic environment but poor carry-out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at 5AM Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teams can be full of really nice, energetic and eager to work people. The atmosphere was growing and shifting, but still carrying a sense of startup.

Cons

Management is poorly run and bias, not always considering who fits the position best. Decisions can be made haphazardly, and people are thrown off, especially when given less than 2 hours notice to leave.

Advice to Management

Be more open and honest with your employees. Take their roles into consideration and think about expanding your board beyond current employees. You let a lot of good people go because less qualified people were in charge.

6. "I get to do meaningful work with a team of talented colleagues for a company that cares about my professional growth."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rockville, MD

Pros

It's not hard to see how the work we do can actually help people and make the world a better place. Everyone is very competent and reliable.
    The company makes sure that all of the employees are taken care of, beyond just salary and benefits.
    The management of the company seems genuinely interested in our personal and professional development.

Cons

Employees working at different client sites makes it hard to get to know everyone.

7. "5AM Solutions - passionate about the life sciences, software, and people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

The people make 5AM great. They are excited about what they do and committed to making a difference. I love working with them. From the executive team down to the people delivering on our promises, everyone respects and supports each other.

Cons

As a small company, 5AM sometimes has to make hard choices about where to put its resources. Although every organization does, it can be more visible in a smaller company.

8. "Very challenging/rewarding"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Co-workers are passionate, creative, hard working.
    Great level of trust across the company.
    Excellent work/life balance.
    No slow days - every day is highly productive.
    Good internal trainings/brown bags.

Cons

Does take some getting used to coming from a different work environment.
    Benefits are great - but require a little additional employee management as compared to bigger companies.

Advice to Management

Love the transparency from management on what's going on with 5AM.
    Don't forget the introverts.

9. "Doubled the size of my resume within one year of starting with 5am"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

5am offers a well thought out software development process grounded in continues integration, TDD and agile methodologies. There are plenty of initiatives that offer professional growth outside of the normal billable hours. Senior software folks are always willing to share their knowledge and experience. The contract shop nature of the company enables me to try out lots of bleeding edge technologies and work on a wide variety of projects.

Cons

Our current time sheet and expense report software is a bit of a pain to use. Some of our contract are not as flexible about tele-commuting as I would like.

Advice to Management

All 5amers of Russian origin should be given a raise. Mobile Rebels should have a branch dedicated exclusively to android development.

10. "Like nowhere else I have ever worked before."

Pros

-Work environment is one filled with respect for ideas and talent
    -Use a very open-minded and team centered approach to most everything
    -A community of brilliant minds focused on common goals
    -Concern for employee welfare is not just talked about, but protected and honored through actions, including a very generous benefits/health coverage package
    -They truly promote a healthy work-life balance

Cons

-Small central office space, but since most either regularly telecommute or work at client sites this is not a huge obstacle