5AM Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Brent Gendleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Marlboro, MD

I worked at 5AM Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary. Excellent benefits. Awesome work culture. Easily accessible by metro and parking on site. Teleworking option was great. Felt apart of the company. Pretty transparent.

Cons

Traffic sucks getting to work. Red line isn't that pleasant. Too many leaders it got a little confusing. Gave too many people power.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees and keeping them in the loop. Encourage more team building exercises.

2. "Great people and supportive culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at 5AM Solutions full-time

Pros

* The development team is passionate about technology while still being pragmatic
    * It's a great place to learn more and improve, even as a seasoned developer

Cons

* Has to some degree wandered from the spirit of Agility - hope to see 5AM back on track

3. "It's the people that make the place"

I have been working at 5AM Solutions full-time

Pros

- Have done a phenomenal job of screening excellent talent
    - Push to use latest technologies
    - Excellent team support of each other

Cons

- I have nothing to add

"Was fun and challenging company, it changed over the years, not sure about nowadays."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rockville, MD

I worked at 5AM Solutions full-time

Pros

Interesting biological sciences-related projects with strong user/society value. Smart engaged engineers and very competent project management. Great health benefits and working-from-home options.

Cons

It is consulting, and possess all of the cons inherent in that business model (lots of stupid meetings, contract convolutions, working with less than competent teams from other contractors, etc.). I just never felt completely comfortable around my colleagues...not sure why. All the best original people left, and replacements were less good, and in one case somewhat malevolent, which is never good in an organization.

Advice to Management

It was a few years ago, so anything specific i have to say is most likely utterly meaningless, so i will speak generally: i always liked how open and honest things felt, in contrast to other companies I have worked for, so keep that up. Also, the focus on employee health, and generous benefits for same, was a great aspect of the company.

"technical position at 5AM solutions in Rockville,md"

Former Employee - Technical in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Technical in Rockville, MD

I worked at 5AM Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

my peers and technical team leads were good people

Cons

Management team and certain members of the board of directors have a long-running hostile relationship. company revenues are flat. Capricious decision-making.

Advice to Management

Pay market-rate salaries. Focus on the business, not emotions. Put the human in human resources.

"Great energetic environment but poor carry-out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at 5AM Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teams can be full of really nice, energetic and eager to work people. The atmosphere was growing and shifting, but still carrying a sense of startup.

Cons

Management is poorly run and bias, not always considering who fits the position best. Decisions can be made haphazardly, and people are thrown off, especially when given less than 2 hours notice to leave.

Advice to Management

Be more open and honest with your employees. Take their roles into consideration and think about expanding your board beyond current employees. You let a lot of good people go because less qualified people were in charge.

7. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

* "Open" organization - sharing, listening, transparency at all levels. It's refreshing.
    * Smart people, smart management.
    * Opportunities to learn, stretch, and grow - they welcome suggestions and challenge us to do and be the best we can be.
    * Amazing client service.
    * Honest people.
    * Cool technology.
    * Generous benefits.

Cons

* Client focus can sometimes impact work-life balance. The company wants and works hard to support work-life balance, but when the client has a need, we're expected to stretch to make it happen. I'm sure this is common for most service companies, so if you can't occasionally do a push for a project, this kind of work isn't for you.
    * Small company. I don't see this as a "con," but the company has 50 employees, so the policies and hard structure of a larger company just aren't there. This can be a pro or a con, I guess.

8. "I get to do meaningful work with a team of talented colleagues for a company that cares about my professional growth."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rockville, MD

Pros

It's not hard to see how the work we do can actually help people and make the world a better place. Everyone is very competent and reliable.
    The company makes sure that all of the employees are taken care of, beyond just salary and benefits.
    The management of the company seems genuinely interested in our personal and professional development.

Cons

Employees working at different client sites makes it hard to get to know everyone.

9. "5AM Solutions - passionate about the life sciences, software, and people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

The people make 5AM great. They are excited about what they do and committed to making a difference. I love working with them. From the executive team down to the people delivering on our promises, everyone respects and supports each other.

Cons

As a small company, 5AM sometimes has to make hard choices about where to put its resources. Although every organization does, it can be more visible in a smaller company.

10. "Very challenging/rewarding"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Co-workers are passionate, creative, hard working.
    Great level of trust across the company.
    Excellent work/life balance.
    No slow days - every day is highly productive.
    Good internal trainings/brown bags.

Cons

Does take some getting used to coming from a different work environment.
    Benefits are great - but require a little additional employee management as compared to bigger companies.

Advice to Management

Love the transparency from management on what's going on with 5AM.
    Don't forget the introverts.