ALM Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Carter

Pros
  • Depending on what department you work in, the work/life balance can be good (in 10 reviews)

• I am so thankful to be back in a healthy work environment and am very positive about my future here (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was the exact opposite (in 14 reviews)

• There is also a complete lack of competence from senior management (in 11 reviews)

"Friends don't let friends work at ALM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When we were allowed to have comradery I got to know some great co-workers.
    Certain managers were great to work for- but they are gone

Cons

Soul-crushing!!

1) Talent leaving in droves, both by own free will and by mass lay-offs. (and CEO said in a Town Hall that he doesn't care or think that losing talent is a big deal!!!!)
    2) Management doesn't listen to smart ideas
    3) Management constantly changing gears
    4) Spent a fortune bringing in consultants to remake the workplace, but nothing worked and tons of talented - even award winning - editors were laid off anyway (yes, print is dying, but we could perhaps have kept people who were top notch people in the industry to write for our non-print products, no?)
    5) Every time someone gets fired, other people have to pick up the slack at absolutely no compensation
    6) They are owned by venture capitalists who are looking to improve and then sell the business, but if things continue in this fashion there won't be a business to sell.
    7) Young people find much better jobs at hired pay pretty quickly.

Advice to Management

If you are a people-organization, then invest in the talent you have.
    Change the IT operations so that things work well again.

2. "I can't even"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some of the most talented, capable, and competent professionals I've ever known here. Unfortunately, all of them (including I) have moved on from the company to bigger and better things, which brings me to...

Cons

...there is absolutely no one of competence left in this company anymore. Middle management is untrained and unqualified, upper management couldn't give a rat's bass about you. People with no ability are promoted to management; people with actual talent are at best laid off (bless their souls they're now free), or at worst, left to languish in their meaningless and redundant work under inept and directionless managers. The message the higher-ups send is that you are nothing more than an irrelevant peon who's payroll is taking up their precious budget.

Advice to Management

HAHA If management actually listened to advice, the company wouldn't be where it's at right now: a graveyard.

"It will only get worse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The few Pros about ALM have all been eliminated or laid off..

Cons

Very top heavy executive team that is disconnected from any of the markets they serve.
    Miserable work environment
    HR has no idea about Human Resources

Advice to Management

Eliminate yourselves and admit you have no idea what to do in the B to B verticals you SERVE!

"Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Few good workers are left.

Cons

Don't do it to yourself. Walk away, and don't look back.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

"Better than not having a job...I guess"

I worked at ALM full-time

Pros

The company is full of really smart, hard-working professionals. My manager was incredibly talented and passionate, as well as most of my team members. Most employees are given independence through the ability to work from home and alter work hours, as long as their work is completed and hours are fulfilled. Additionally, a lot of the websites and publications are well-known and respected in their field.

Cons

There are so many issues with ALM that I honestly don’t know where to start.
    Technology- Management has promised to upgrade technology for the employees for the better part of 2 years and this has yet to be done. People in our office have computers so old that the IT team says they’re out of commission.
    Workload- Employees are expected to do the work of AT LEAST 2-3 employees. With more and more employees getting laid off, I fear that this aspect is just going to get worse. It burns out the great employees that are invested in the company. The layoffs also make employees fear that they may be next.
    Pay- ALM underpays its employees (if they are not in upper management). Do not expect annual pay increases near what a cost-of-living adjustment would be. ALM does not give merit increases either. When I was promoted into a new role, I expected to receive a pay increase (of more than $10K). Instead I was continually lead on that a raise was on the horizon as long as I kept up the great work, but after a few months, I found out I was a part of the budgetary layoffs.
    Upper Management- There are lot of changes that need to happen for publishing companies to be successful, but none of the company leaders know what those changes should be. Company direction seems to change every few months and the company’s town hall meetings are extremely frustrating. The CEO gives politician answers to employee questions full of exaggerations and white lies.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of great employees, but so many of them are extremely frustrated with their workload and compensation. Invest in your employees and the resources they need. Evaluate how much work employees are given and ask “Could a normal person accomplish this in a 40 hour work week?” If the answer is no (Hint: The answer is no for most employees), hire more talented employees.

"Horrendous Company - Kills Spirits and Careers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Got paid on time

Cons

Horrible attitudes
    Too many layoffs
    No support for staff
    No quality of life or advancement potential
    Fire-drill mentality
    High-stress, low productivity environment
    Women NOT treated as equals - this IS THE Good Old Boys Club

Advice to Management

Value your loyal employees. Stop "leading" by fear.

Listen to industry experts and trends and actually be progressive instead of just saying you are. Be original with content, conferences and media.

"Short sighted management driection"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Operations Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great talented people with an abundance of energy to move and transform the company forward in the digital world.

Cons

Private equity ownership ready to flip the investment and run off to the next purchase.

"No respect for staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The office is warm enough on a cold day. And cool enough on a hot day. And coffee is free.

Cons

--Endless meetings that have no point.
    --CEO goes out of his way to never use the words journalist or journalism.
    --Near monthly layoffs that destroy morale and a new strategy and structure every quarter.
    --An employee survey that will be whitewashed to protect failed senior managers.
    --Staff still extremely bitter about the layoff in January of the best journalist in the place.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. And then act on it.

"I Will Not Buy This Record It Is Scratched"

I have been working at ALM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is poor across the board, but the benefits are decent. Many ALM employees are allowed to work remotely and the supervisors aren't too obsessed about when you arrive and leave the office. My supervisor in middle management seems generally capable, but has very little time to attend to the concerns of the team.

Cons

ALM is owned by Wasserstein and all they care about is the profit margin. In the pursuit of this, all support services have been outsourced and all product teams downsized. The result is an organization where invoices are not being paid, slow computers are not being replaced, and any HR issues beyond minimum regulatory recruitments are never addressed. The middle managers are overburdened with financial reporting and explaining why their businesses are failing from the lack of resources and operational incompetency. If you're being approached by someone who's trying to sell ALM to you, understand that you're offered a pig with lipstick.

Advice to Management

The CEO is in a bind, the only thing he can do is retain the top management. Every time a top manager leaves the company that person is replaced by someone less competent with a poorer understanding of ALM's business.

11. "Take the recent reviews with a grain of salt"

Current Employee - Editorial
    Current Employee - Editorial

I have been working at ALM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like the rest of media, ALM is trying to make the transformation from print to digital. The changes have opened up new opportunities, and communication among groups is improving.

Cons

There has been a lot of change in the last year. Recent posts are from impacted people.

Advice to Management

Most people understand ALM needs to change.