ALM Reviews | Glassdoor

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ALM President & CEO Bill Carter
Bill Carter

Pros
  • Depending on what department you work in, the work/life balance can be good (in 10 reviews)

• Very flexible and understanding work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was the exact opposite (in 15 reviews)

• senior management has no regard for lower level- too much hierarchy (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work: engaged teams, competent leadership"

Current Employee - Key Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engaged higher management
    Forward-looking vision, and constantly evolving departments
    Many new, smart products
    Solid growth opportunities
    Teamwork spirit

Cons

Large recent growth has created a few places where new operational procedures are being established - currently worked on, getting better every day, good investment and a positive outlook for the long-term opportunity.

2. "marketing coordinator"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

wonderful company to work for

Cons

There is a huge workload expected to be done

"Don't listen to any good review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Years ago this was a great company to work for. Employees actually new each other.

Cons

When the new CEO Bill Carter started everyone really liked him. As years went on he turned out to be a backstabber. About 100 jobs went to India 2 years ago. After that even more lay offs. In January 50 more, great way to start a new year. That was the worse layoff the company had. It really bother a lot of employees. One of the recent reviews stated that the employees that were let go were fired. It was just a big off because the company is not making money so they have to cut salaries. Had nothing to do with change. Any good review is written by the HR dept to cover themselves. Just a warning this company might be moving in one year tho another location so that means more jobs might be cut and sent to KY where salaries are cheaper because no way will they move all the employees to another building and pay high rent.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring top salary VPs they aren't worth it. How the owners don't see what you are doing is beyond me. Between the CEO and CFO right there is over a million dollar salary. There is your savings. Employees are just not a number. They run the company for you

May 12, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for providing us with your thoughts. Feedback such as this helps us understand the thoughts of the entire team. Our industry is going through change, which has driven difficult decisions ... More

"Unbelievable"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location in Manhattan and the security was good.

Cons

I had an incredibly nosey, judgemental supervisor who goes by outdated policies. Or maybe it is just the company. I wasn't given clear details and from what others are saying, people get cut from this company left and right. The salary for my position is pretty high so I understand why maybe this company is sending certain jobs offshore. Nobody here wants to take the time let an employee settle in correctly and learn, and nobody wants to train you, nor wait the time for you to be trained. Meetings with your coworkers are held without you where the supervisor asks about your performance. I understand after one year or more, but after 2 months of employment, the only reason a supervisor is asking your colleagues about you is because he doesn't pay attention to your actual performance and doesn't want to put the time in to do it, or probably has underlying issues with who you are based off gender, race, or disability-- which was my exact situation. Let's not act like this doesn't exist in corporate world today because we all know it does.

Advice to Management

Something is outdated and it's either your policies or your managers, either way it NEEDS to be changed because for millienials, it's unenjoyable to work in this environment. Please brush up on technology and maybe have the managers take one of those courses they offer for businesses on how to have millenials want to stay at your company, how to keep them and how to work with them. Otherwise, your company will never grow.

May 30, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. Our goal for 2017 has been to improve the infrastructure of our business, and that includes the technology we are operating under for general ... More

"It's a matter of perspective"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

>Great people.
    >Strong brands in industries with staying power
    >Making the difficult decisions now that are needed to position the Company for success in the future

All companies in disrupted industries face big challenges that require difficult decisions. In the last 18 months, ALM has made many changes that should have been made 5 years or more earlier. I understand the negativity of the reviewers who were impacted by those decisions. Some of the leadership no longer with ALM tip-toed around or ignored needed changes and we are still recovering from that time lag. But the Team here today is talented, working hard, and working TOGETHER trying to pave the way for a brighter future. Progress is being made.

Cons

>Constrained resources, but the biggest investments being made in 2017 should help the business significantly moving forward. As business improves, resources will improve.
    >Some people don't like change and uncertainty. Again, as we start beating targets again, things will become more certain.

Advice to Management

>Recognize and reward the doers in the most meaningful ways possible.
    >Keep the sales incentive trip sign/announcement in the sales department. Not in the kitchen where 95% of the people seeing it aren't eligible and are dealing with the impact of recent cuts.
    >When we start turning the corner, invest in people first

Mar 30, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We are definitely working hard on making sure we provide a brighter and successful future at ALM for subscribers, advertisers and of course our ... More

"Wonderful Place...If You Have No Talent, Morals or Plans for the Future"

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hired me for my first job at a magazine. I was very excited to move up in the company because the editors were so inept I was not expecting the upward mobility to take very long.

Cons

They laid me off after I had a freak accident. I lost my insurance and had to pay for every appointment, medication and therapy out of pocket. When I said I wanted to sue they said, "We're owned by American Lawyer Media. Our lawyers are better than yours will ever be."

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Karma will get you. And with your 1.6 rating on Glassdoor, it looks like you're doing a great job.

Apr 25, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for providing us with your feedback, as we are looking to improve our business. We are sorry to hear about your accident. We cannot address the specifics of your situation. However, as with ... More

"Friends don't let friends work at ALM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When we were allowed to have comradery I got to know some great co-workers.
    Certain managers were great to work for- but they are gone

Cons

Soul-crushing!!

1) Talent leaving in droves, both by own free will and by mass lay-offs. (and CEO said in a Town Hall that he doesn't care or think that losing talent is a big deal!!!!)
    2) Management doesn't listen to smart ideas
    3) Management constantly changing gears
    4) Spent a fortune bringing in consultants to remake the workplace, but nothing worked and tons of talented - even award winning - editors were laid off anyway (yes, print is dying, but we could perhaps have kept people who were top notch people in the industry to write for our non-print products, no?)
    5) Every time someone gets fired, other people have to pick up the slack at absolutely no compensation
    6) They are owned by venture capitalists who are looking to improve and then sell the business, but if things continue in this fashion there won't be a business to sell.
    7) Young people find much better jobs at hired pay pretty quickly.

Advice to Management

If you are a people-organization, then invest in the talent you have.
    Change the IT operations so that things work well again.

Mar 30, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for providing us with your feedback - we apologize that you felt this way while you were with us. We are aiming to have a transparent, honest and hard-working culture and your feedback is ... More

"I can't even"

I worked at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some of the most talented, capable, and competent professionals I've ever known here. Unfortunately, all of them (including I) have moved on from the company to bigger and better things, which brings me to...

Cons

...there is absolutely no one of competence left in this company anymore. Middle management is untrained and unqualified, upper management couldn't give a rat's bass about you. People with no ability are promoted to management; people with actual talent are at best laid off (bless their souls they're now free), or at worst, left to languish in their meaningless and redundant work under inept and directionless managers. The message the higher-ups send is that you are nothing more than an irrelevant peon who's payroll is taking up their precious budget.

Advice to Management

HAHA If management actually listened to advice, the company wouldn't be where it's at right now: a graveyard.

Mar 30, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We apologize that you feel this way. Our industry and company have faced challenging times and as a result we’ve been forced to make ... More

"It will only get worse"

I worked at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The few Pros about ALM have all been eliminated or laid off..

Cons

Very top heavy executive team that is disconnected from any of the markets they serve.
    Miserable work environment
    HR has no idea about Human Resources

Advice to Management

Eliminate yourselves and admit you have no idea what to do in the B to B verticals you SERVE!

Mar 30, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We are sorry that you feel as though the executive team is disconnected from our markets. We are aiming to improve our company and ... More

"Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ALM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Few good workers are left.

Cons

Don't do it to yourself. Walk away, and don't look back.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

Mar 30, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. In order to improve our operations efforts at ALM, your valuable feedback should be shared with your manager about the issues or problems you may be ... More