ALM Reviews | Glassdoor

ALM President and CEO Bill Carter
Bill Carter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management was the exact opposite (in 15 reviews)

• senior management has no regard for lower level- too much hierarchy (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at ALM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The executive team is focused on the future and is open to new and innovative ideas from its employees to get there. Major infrastructure changes are in the works, showing the company's ability to recognize changes in the marketplace and a need to adapt. Employees are able to work independently in a very collaborative environment across departments. Coworkers are very positive and the company culture has a team oriented outlook.

Cons

There are a lot of moving parts as the company transitions that can create a hectic atmosphere. Balancing long term projects while maintaining daily operations can be a bit of a juggling act at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, the innovation happening today is setting the company up for success in the future. Don't stop innovating.

Aug 4, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thanks for taking the time to share a review! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your role at ALM since starting with us in the last year. We appreciate your thoughts about the changes ALM... More

2. "Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people there who do good work. The journalism the company produces can be very good

Cons

The company does not invest in its people sufficiently.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees.

3. "Nice company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very chill, work at your on phase type of place

Cons

Not very motivating management overall

Advice to Management

More assertiveness

"Work here if you like endless meetings..."

Former Employee - News Reporter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - News Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at ALM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart writers and editors abound and many are doing good work, despite clueless upper management

Cons

People with intimate knowledge of readers and their markets are shunted aside in favor of leaders who are only intimate with business jargon and insider politicking

Advice to Management

Reward/retain subject matter (readers and markets) experts; settle on a strategy and execute rather than change strategies willy-nilly

Oct 17, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your thoughts to help improve our editorial process and have shared this information with the team internally. If you have any more concerns please feel... More

5. "Okay experience"

Former Employee - Assistant Books Editor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Books Editor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ALM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great supervisor and worked on a small team. My coworkers were very nice.

Cons

The company did very little to motivate employees and the office setting was very drab.

Sep 14, 2017

We appreciate your feedback and we are glad to hear you had good working relationships. We have recently made improvements to a few of our ALM offices and plan to continue the process as we move... More

"Poorly managed company that values bottom line over employees"

I worked at ALM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are largely good and I liked my coworkers.

Cons

Completely clueless management decisions like laying off an editor in order to save money (on the first day back from a holiday, with no notice whatsoever), leaving the rest of my publication to scramble to pick up their workload. I've seen my boss on the verge of tears because of the way ALM treats longtime employees like line items to be cut from a budget.

Management sometimes gives 2% to 3% annual raises to reporters but thinks starting a fresh-out-of-college inexperienced assignment editor at $47k a year is acceptable when the rest of the reporters on staff (many of whom have been there for over five years) make substantially less than that.

Because the people actually running ALM's publications are so overworked and pressed to hit quotas/deadlines, no one seriously does any long term planning. Literally a company that lays off essential staff while expecting the remaining personnel to deliver more results. Why would anyone work their best at a company that offers zero loyalty and doesn't listen to complaints?

We went from having large company Christmas parties every year to a dingy happy hour in the office kitchen. No one at the top knows or cares about making employees happy, even with the understanding that this is how you get a productive, functioning staff.

Oh yeah and I watched repeated sexual harassment occur with little to no recourse from HR.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, especially older employees. You get the workers you pay for.

Oct 17, 2017 – ALM Representative

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We agree that our all our editors have worked hard. Many are award-winning journalists and have an average of 12 years of experience. In their roles... More

"Unimaginably low morale"

I worked at ALM full-time

Pros

I can't really think of any : /

Cons

It's a bad place to work. I could say a lot more, but it's all already been said in other reviews.

Advice to Management

Good luck, I hope you figure things out.

"A lot of Change Happening"

I worked at ALM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Depending on who your manager is your voice can be easily heard by executives.

Cons

They spread people too thin and overwhelm them. Company culture needs a boost.

Advice to Management

Build closer relationships with your employees and improve company culture.

9. "Sales"

I have been working at ALM full-time

Pros

Everyone is working towards the same goal
    Enjoyable team to work with

Cons

Systems are about 10 years behind
    Lots of talk of improvements, but very little action

Advice to Management

Fix the foundations rather to resolve the majority of the companies problems

Jul 27, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We checked in with Gene regarding your concerns around ALM’s systems and were able to get the following update. As you have probably heard in recent Town Hall meetings... More

"You really don't matter at ALM"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ALM (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid on time and you receive benefits. That's it

Cons

ALM doesn't care about employees. Over the last 6 years the lay off people on a regular basis. Buying companies and then laying off most of the staff. Everyone is on pins and needles never knowing what they will be cut from the company.

Bill Carter is an ego manic. He doesn't listen to anyone and the investment company that hired him are just as clueless. All this company cares about is making money. If they need to cut a few hundred works to di it they will. Frankly, that's all they do.

People leave this company so much that in my 5 years there I've seen the sane position be filled 13 times! The job they offer you is not the job you'll do.

Only take this job if you are young and need experience or need a job and have no other option.

Advice to Management

It's pointless. They don't listen to anyone but themselves. Hence the years ad years of bad reviews and recommendations made by others that go ignored.