Adap.tv Reviews

• Part-time
2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Toby Gabriner

Pros
  • Free Lunches Daily to save money (in 10 reviews)

• Some) smart people: there are a bunch of engineers left from the pre-acquisition days that are incredibly smart and have built impressive software (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • All in all its depressing and a celebration of mediocrity (in 2 reviews)

• all engineers are leaving, so product is falling apart and a release to a new platform that has even more bugs (in 2 reviews)

1. "Client Services Manager"

Pros

Amazing company and leadership pre-acquisition. All hands on deck approach to our day to day jobs and everyone bought in to the overall goal.

Cons

Brought in leadership that brought morale down. A lot of the leaders scratched each other's backs and made sure they all succeeded rather than take care of the gaps on the lower spectrum of company

2. "Good corporate workplace"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Adap.tv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Focus on getting the job done, not assigning blame Low politics (at least at the lower levels) Friendly environment

Cons

Feeling our way into Agile Product Management was understaffed, now training new staff Slowly resolving product integration direction and schedule

Advice to Management

Stop asking us for annual (or even quarterly) goals if we are supposed to be Agile

3. "Great former startup"

I worked at Adap.tv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was fun while it lasted

Cons

Now part of Verizon and big company culture

"Former Ad tech star fades"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

great founding management team great results driven culture that was fun. before purchase, was leader in its category

Cons

founders exited 1 year after purchase was complete culture changed to AOL, older, slower moving company AOL big company processes slowed down innovation and time to market

Advice to Management

operated with the urgency of a startup manage big company processes, so they don't impact productivity

6. "Fun place to work, learned a lot."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Adap.tv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, fun environment, lots of perks. This was my first job as a software engineer, perfect landing spot. I learned a lot about best practices and large scale development practices.

Cons

The pay was a little under market. The company exhibited some pains associated with the acquisition. AOL came in and changed some things for the better but also some things for the worse. A bit of brain drain post-acquisition.

Advice to Management

Hire some UX designers to help the product process. Focus on engineering and recruit top talent. Try to limit brain drain as it lowers morale.

7. "Making money is more important than making customers happy"

I worked at Adap.tv full-time

Pros

It may be fun to work in a trendy video advertisement industry

Cons

Everyday the system gets broken. Even a new feature is usually broken. Don’t learn from the past failures, and make the same failures repeatedly again and again. No leadership. No inspiration. The focus of their business seems to get technology tax as much as possible, not to make customers happy.

Advice to Management

Throw away the current system and rebuild it from scratch. The current architecture doesn’t match the current needs and requirements.

"Fading Star"

Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I worked at Adap.tv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-People. They're the only reason I stayed for as long as I did. -Culture. It's a fun place to work. -Money. Salary, bonus, and benefits are amazing. -Work/life balance. As long as you get your work done, no one bothers you. -AOL. Yes, the dial-up company. Provides financial stability.

Cons

-AOL. While AOL provides financial stability, they are slowly killing off Adap.tv's culture and tech prowess. -No inspiration. AOL leadership fails to inspire and motivate. We're now white-collar factory workers. -No career growth. Instead of promoting Adap.tv employees into leadership positions, AOL moves in its own people. -Departure of talent. Not surprisingly, tenured folks are leaving.

Advice to Management

Don't fall into the same trap as most media companies that buy technology to simply boost revenue from media. You have something amazing in Adap.tv. Take time to focus on the big picture as you're looking at the bottom line. And no, press releases don't count.

"Are you a low performer not looking for a challenge with a love of bureaucracy? Then come on by! This place is for you!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Adap.tv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was an amazing company where you were challenged and pushed to your limits on a daily basis. We all worked together and accomplished great feats. Year over year we grew by multiples and were even profitable in our own right and there was an amazing leadership team that you believed in and trusted. Alas......those days are over and there is nothing left of this once great company. Don't expect any big raises or promotions. Your going on AOL plan of +2% year increases and bonuses/commissions that are paid annually! Woo Hoo! Maybe they will even try to convert your 401K match to an annual base so they can squeeze you for some more cash.

Cons

Leadership: Anyone you wanted to work with or look up to has left the building or is rapidly on their way out. Whats left is all fluff and utterly lack substance. How many times can someone show you a chart with up and to the right and then tell you that that company missed all of their goals. Fun: Just compare the Christmas parties in 2013 and 2014 to get an idea. In 2013 we rocked it out and celebrated our massive success with drinks, music, and tasty treats. All put up at fancy hotels in downtown SF. In 2014 under AOL we had an ugly sweater party in the cafeteria with cheap beer. Challenges: We solved complicated problems in the past and today its more about politics and bureaucracy Culture: We had a great culture in the past. There is nothing left anymore. Walking in here everyday is a complete energy suck. Vibe: This is not a tech company anymore. It was bought by a dial-up internet dinosaur who couldn't help but take their new shiny toy and destroy it.

Advice to Management

What management? We don't even have company meetings anymore. There is no one to advise. The truth is go find something better. The rating on the CEO is not applicable.

"Was fun while it lasted"

I worked at Adap.tv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started off as a strong start-up with lots of momentum, freedom, and fun. I still think if you have a strong enough personality, ideas, and work ethic, you can make great career moves here. Free lunches everyday are a nice touch. Company is still in a growing industry.

Cons

Major brain drain post acquisition. All the good engineers are gone. Tough to push new products out on time with the small army they got. Meaningful salary bumps hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

"Impending Train Wreck"

I have been working at Adap.tv full-time

Pros

The people i've worked with are all smart and intelligent people. Flexible hours, free lunches and social events are pretty frequent.

Cons

- Lack of strong leadership - No internal communication from upper funnel down, nor from product, major issues that we should be alerting our clients, are 'silenced' - all engineers are leaving, so product is falling apart and a release to a new platform that has even more bugs. - all clients are frustrated about the platform not working on a daily base - The CEO even bailed, what does that say? - STIR CLEAR of this place, it's a sinking ship and everyone is abandoning ship!

RSS Feed </> Embed