Adchemy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Adchemy CEO Murthy Nukala
Murthy Nukala

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • But as I'll explain below, a handful of really arrogant Product managers and senior management ruined it (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • This company never fully understood the SAAS business model lacking both proper cloud product delivery mechanism and subscription model (in 2 reviews)

1. "I miss working here..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

Pros

Super smart people, hard problems, great vision. Great culture and values that the people believed in.

Cons

Execution and managerial ability. Focus - ended up working on too many things.

Advice to Management

Hire better managers to execute on the vision.

"A company that did not meet its great potential"

Pros

Adchemy hired bright people and had solid product vision - seriously everyone they hired from the VPs to the receptionist were of the highest caliber similar to Google. The company just attracted people with a high IQ. They never once lowered the hiring bar. I keep in touch with my Adchemy colleagues even after the M&A and they are all doing great things.

But as I'll explain below, a handful of really arrogant Product managers and senior management ruined it. More on these points under the Cons section.

As a company as a whole there was good pay and promotional opportunities. I did however, hear a lot of horror side-stories of bad politics and unfairness that plagued more than a few of my colleagues opportunities here.

Cons

Perfect 20/20 example that sheer talent and smarts alone doesn't make a great company. Adchemy was difficult to work for, employees were arrogant, and their hotshot MBAs had more powerpoint than product development skills. Every quarter, a new strategy and product plan. This company never fully understood the SAAS business model lacking both proper cloud product delivery mechanism and subscription model . The product was never self service for customers. It was delivered in the background with a consulting team. You cannot even login to the product. By analogy, imagine buying a WorkDay SAAS HR system and having to call their customer support to enter in your benefits information. That is how our ads "SAAS" solution worked... the customer didn't have access to it. Every "SAAS" solution sold was really a professional services / consulting play.

They should have picked a product direction and stuck with it. The Software business unit, its intended bread and butter never met its full potential.

Advice to Management

Stop being so arrogant about your credentials. Stick to a project plan. Validate your ideas before dumping millions and 300+ engineers to create a product only to change it 3 mos later. A good powerpoint deck might help raise money but it doesn't create a sustainable business. Business schools should use Adchemy's failure as a case study of what went wrong with what was once such a high potential company. Seriously we could have and should have been one of the great IPOs. What an unfortunate ending to the roller coaster.

3. "intersting SEO tech solution"

Pros

innovative ideas and solutions for SEO market

Cons

stuck in concepts and not execution

Advice to Management

empower your best people to win

4. "Great work place!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Adchemy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- health plan
    - amazing people
    - work/life balance

Cons

- changing priorities
    - people doing nothing can climb up the ladder

Advice to Management

-----------------------------------------

"Lots of turn over and bitter employees"

Former Employee - Ops in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Ops in Foster City, CA

I worked at Adchemy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch twice a week; there are some fun events because they have a pretty good office management team.

Cons

It was a tense environment to work in. A lot of people were leaving, our product was not promising and we were losing revenue. They were cutting people left and right, including senior management.

Advice to Management

Don't get bitter about your employees leaving and give them a hard time.

6. "Great place to work and learn"

Pros

Great product and use the best technologies. People are very smart. Working as an intern got a lot of opportunity to learn. This is one of the best companies to work and had an enjoyable time.

Cons

Can't remember of any cons.

"Failed Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Pros

My peers were amazing people to work with. We hired well.

Cons

The CEO lacks direction and focus. Often the company initiative flip flopped every few months.

8. "Super smart people, great culture. Miss it!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Adchemy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super smart, visionary people. Dont think I met any dummies there, ever. Very smart product and technology, ahead of its time.

I now work at Walmart after the acquisition, and I really miss Adchemy! I got an awesome package through the acquisition and feel like the management really took care of the people.

Cons

Did not take care of operations nearly as well. Should have done less, slowed down and done things better.

Advice to Management

Should have gone slow to go fast. It was a great experience for me.

9. "Great peers to work with but terrible CEO and executive management."

I worked at Adchemy full-time

Pros

Early on, Adchemy was filled with dedicated employees who were very smart, loyal team players, and humble. Unfortunately, as is the case with many startups, the culture wasn't preserved as it doubled in size each year.

Cons

Poor executive management. Poor execution and validation of product. Impractical goals. Poor hiring on the executive front.

Advice to Management

This company no longer exists.

10. "Smart people"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Adchemy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depends what team are you and what manager. For mine everything was awesome.

Cons

Other teams :) Nothing else to my mind.