Airware Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan Downey

"Really challenging, in a good way"

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's one of the most impressive teams I've seen assembled. Lots of people have really impressive academic backgrounds or professional records. However, you won't hear it from them. It's a very humble group who is also easy to get along with.

We're seeing real traction in the insurance and mining/quarrying industries. Whereas we used to wonder how long our target markets might take to develop, now I hope we can service all the business that's coming in efficiently. Many customers have chosen to strategically invest in the company as well, like Caterpillar.

The VC investors are top notch. They help with more than just money too. They are very active in things like recruiting and other functions. It's not unusual to see representatives from KPCB or a16z around the office.

Airware acquired a French startup, so we now have a Paris office. They are hardworking and have really added to the company culture and our chances of success. Trips to Paris are a great perk.

Cons

Airware is solving a "hard tech" problem, which is not for everyone. We are also in a new market which means trying lots of things that might fail before we hit the mark. It can be frustrating for some people to throw away ideas that didn't work out.

Working with a European office means some early morning phone calls. Be an early riser if you're on one of the teams that spans continents.

Advice to Management

Let's focus, make fast decisions, and we can win. We're also too hard on ourselves IMO, there's tons to celebrate.

2. "It's all about the team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are incredibly smart and creative. Airware has an insanely talented team and it's so nice to engage with these type of people on a daily basis. The team is the best part of working at Airware.

Cons

Airware is very much in startup mode, which meant regular business strategy shifts. This makes it hard to plan long term.

Advice to Management

Please work to increase transparency into business performance.

3. "Amazing culture and product. Mixing state of the art technology with bright and humble employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start up with fantastic leadership, culture, vision, and technology.
    Level of transparency is almost unheard of.
    Growth has been steady and stable. No compromise on quality with hiring.
    Lunch and dinner catering (lunch 3Xweek, dinner 4xweek).

Cons

Tough to identify any true "cons". People are passionate and own their work, and any "cons" are addressed and seem to be minor requests/suggestions (food recommendations (food is provided for employees), office accommodations, offsite retreat suggestions, etc.) rather than complaints.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate clear vision and not sacrifice hiring quality and commitment to culture as the company grows.

"Rising StartUp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Was employed at Airware for almost two years. Great company, very ambition, trying very hard to not be a prototypical SV startup. They have built a great team and and are continuing to build on their successes.

Cons

They have some of the typical growing pains of a high growth startup, but try to solve issues before things go off the rails and are attentive to employees feedback.

"Shipping hardware, software, and cloud at speed. Cool."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really interesting product & product stack in an exciting industry. Airware is creating a full freaking stack for enterprise use of drones (this includes hardware, software (ALL types, embedded, installed app, web app) and cloud services) there is a lot to understand and get busy with, and many talented people at work alongside. If this breadth of talent and challenge doesn't daunt you, then you'll be happy. I'm happy.

Cons

Integrating this many flavors of technology, produced by this many tribes of developers, means that testing & integration to ship at a rapid pace is going to take all of your talents at empathy & collaboration to negotiate the rough spots. The company makes a lot of great effort in this area to encourage shared values and get everyone on the same wavelength, but its success still relies on what you bring. Some struggle with it, as it can be a challenge, but hey, at least it isn't a monoculture.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for core values, and for speed.

"Great company in a strong industry"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product is very compelling and interesting, especially because it spans the true full stack from hardware all the way up to cloud software.
    The people at Airware are some of the best I've ever worked with, in terms of skillset, motivation, and community. Showing up for work every day felt like going to hang out with my friends.
    The "standard" perks are pretty nice as well, free snacks, lunches, dinners, fancy coffee, drinks, etc.

Cons

Airware is definitely still a startup. This means employees need to be self-reliant and really own their work and performance. If this suits your personality, it's a great place to be, but if you require a lot of guidance and structure, you won't receive it.

"Bad Culture and Awful Leadership"

I worked at Airware full-time

Pros

A very interesting industry to be in, drones are the future! Airware offered free lunch 3 days a week and the office was nice.

Cons

- Poor leadership - The VCs should find replacements ASAP
    - Very high turnover rate
    - The culture is terrible, you are expected to hang out with others outside of work
    - Terrible location

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage those who are experienced at their jobs, there's a reason why you hired them in the first place.

"One of the best startups in San Francisco"

Current Employee - Firmware Test Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Firmware Test Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Airware is an innovative company that is truly leading the drone industry. The work is both challenging and exciting. I love the company culture and the relationship among the different teams. Jonathan is a transparent CEO that everyone trusts.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. N/A

"Constantly behind schedule, disappointing"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

They're a drone company, so that's pretty cool. Some of my colleagues were pretty cool.

Cons

The company is extremely ambitious. They've received a ton of VC funding since they're in a really hot new industry. The problem is that we were constantly late, missing deadlines, and never really had a product to actually show to any of the partners we promised them to. One in particular was supplying autopilots to a drone OEM based in Colorado. We were many months late and at the time I left tensions were rising internally. I quickly lost faith in the upper management (mainly and unfortunately, the CEO) on the vision and direction of the company. Also, taking repeated massive amounts of funding with no actual product to show for it was a big red flag for me. Honestly, it started out great, with lots of hype but took a very quick (and steep) nosedive.

11. "Cutting Edge Technology Meets Impeccable Timing"

Current Employee - Office Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, focused work environment with a culture that fosters cross-pollination of ideas and objectives between departments. A wealth of Aeronautics and technical talent supported by really strong operations, sales, support and marketing teams.

Cons

None come to mind. N/A

Advice to Management

Maintain the transparency and open door feeling. Keep the flat management structure as long as it remains practical.