AnswerLab Reviews

AnswerLab Founder and CEO Amy Buckner
Amy Buckner
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"An ever growing company that is focused on Supporting Employees, Diversity, and Emerging Tech"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing

I have been working at AnswerLab full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been at AnswerLab a little over two years and having working at several companies in various industries; I can say AnswerLab works diligently to understand employees needs and working styles. They offer opportunities to step up and take initiative whether you work in research or other parts of the company. In 2020 alone with the global pandemic, AnswerLab has put employees first when other companies have furloughed/let go of employees due to budget restrictions. AnswerLab has made employees it's number one priority in making sure that they are working from the safety of their homes; both the employee and their family are taken care of in terms of health insurance and supporting educational services to their children during the pandemic. AnswerLab has made it it's number one priority to make sure they are being consciously fair in hiring decisions to everyone of every race, and have found ways to provide mental well-being time to current employees while relieving any worries they may have about the uncertainty of the future or financial stress during a time where politics have went back and forth over months in how to support the American People. I would say continue looking for the right opportunity, but take into consideration this question, does that company care about me as a human being and not just an employee?

Cons

Like all companies, there is always room for improvement. At AnswerLab I would say its company that is constantly learning and growing. There will always be that room for improvement between a Manager and an Employee, but at AnswerLab they don't point fingers or play the blame game. They truly work with everyone to figure out a pathway to success. I want to say they are balanced with employees from various generations that all share a common interest in research and tech. In terms of social gatherings, they are a way to bring employees closer in terms of anything you feel comfortable sharing; it is just a quick reminder that we are all still human and not machines.

"A dream to work here"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Portland, OR

I have been working at AnswerLab full-time for more than a year

Pros

depth of research knowledge and variety of colleague backgrounds. wonderful place to gain experience and grow as a researcher.

Cons

for those who like to be embedded on teams, this is consulting so you get what you get with client projects. Some may be more fitting or interesting to you based on personal preference than others.

"Perceived performance more important than your actual performance"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at AnswerLab full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexibility to work from home - Benefits - Culture of diversity and inclusion - Working with some of the top companies in the world - Great peers

Cons

-Performance at AnswerLab is like a popularity contest. You have to talk up and chat with leaders in the company, “play the game”, and be well liked -Your “perceived” performance is more important than your actual performance -Responsibility pushed down from the management chain with absolutely no way for those at the bottom to affect any change or deliver what the client expects. Which ends up with a lot of "it is some other team's fault"

Continue reading

"I've never worked for a better company."

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher

I have been working at AnswerLab full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a strong commitment to the health of the employees, the business and our clients. Our leadership is focused, visionary, agile and humane. As an individual, I feel I can truly focus on my projects and am enable to be successful in my work. The distractions that happen in so many roles are not something I've encountered and I've been here nearly a year. My co-workers are amazing.

Cons

I've had many jobs and a long career. I've worked for enterprise companies, and small and medium businesses in that time. Based on this perspective and experience AnswerLab doesn't have any negatives and if they identify an issue, it is rooted out, focused on and addressed. I'm so impressed.

Continue reading

"Best company on the planet!"

Current Employee - Operations Team Member in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AnswerLab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Answerlab truly values its employees

Cons

I didn't find them sooner

Continue reading

"Grateful to work for AnswerLab"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher

I have been working at AnswerLab full-time for less than a year

Pros

I truly feel grateful to work for a company like AnswerLab. - The benefits are fantastic - ability to work from home, flexible hours, modern tech set-up, credit toward gym membership, credit toward tech products for personal use like a smart watch, numerous insurance options, and fully stocked kitchens, to name just a few. - The employees are - and I can't stress this enough - the most hard-working, professional, intelligent, willing-to-pitch-in, and also friendly folks I've ever worked with. You truly feel like you're among a high quality group. - Management has instilled a culture of helping others and investing in employees' growth. Each manager takes the time to check in on their team's bandwidth, satisfaction, pain points, and opportunities for refining their skills. You feel truly supported.

Cons

- The process of being promoted and rising up the ladder can sometimes feel unachievable or uncertain. Researchers are often silo'd on different teams so it is difficult to gauge performance relative to colleagues. Criteria for these promotions is also unclear. - The days are busy and the hours are full, but you typically only have a few occasional 'late nights' - otherwise it's usually avoidable if you can manage your time well. - Not a major con, but... with the majority of the company working remotely (as opposed to the two physical offices) and the ability for in-person employees to work-from-home as well, the energy of the physical offices can at times feel very quiet. However, the company does a good job of mingling employees through other, virtual ways.

"Long hours"

4.0
    Former Employee - User Experience Researcher in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at AnswerLab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great community. The company's communication encourages a lot of communication among remote employees. There are a lot of growth opportunities, and you are encouraged to invest in yourself. Somewhat flexible work hours - as long as you get your work done, and you are available to the client, you can manage your time.

Cons

While the professed motto is "Perfect is the enemy of good", managers demand pixel perfect deliverables. Many employees work way more than 40 hours but are discouraged to submit more than the standard on their timesheet as that counts against them when considered for promotion. So people end up working a lot more to deliver, but most are ambitious enough to do that for a few years, after which they are let go. The company prefers young employees and middle-aged and older ones are encouraged to leave.

AnswerLab Response

April 27, 2020People and Culture Manager

Posted on behalf of AnswerLab's CEO: Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback. We greatly appreciate your comments about the positive aspects of our culture. Your feedback about feeling encouraged to leave based on your age was particularly painful to see, and could not be further from the intention in our culture, policies, and environment we have built at AnswerLab. Our primary business strategy is to build an inclusive company where each person can thrive no matter what their background. I’m deeply sorry that you didn’t feel that commitment. We appreciate your candor, and your contributions to AnswerLab. We will work harder to ensure everyone in our company understands our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments. With gratitude, Amy

"Been here for a little less than a year and I only have good things to say!"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at AnswerLab full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Employee needs come first, management exemplifies flexibility and is always ready to listen. - Extremely high quality of work which is something to be proud of. Clients love our services for a reason. - Management is invested in our long term careers. - Colleagues are brilliant and supportive. - Plenty of opportunities for learning and growth.

Cons

Not really a con but an important factor to raise to anyone seriously considering a future at Answerlab: there's a high quality of work to maintain, and even with all the trainings and resources available, a willingness to learn and an appetite for a challenge is required to succeed in this place. And yes, you will work long hours, but even that ebbs and flows and it's easy to love what you do when you are a part of this team!

Continue reading
  9. "This is a great place to work!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AnswerLab full-time for more than a year

Pros

AnswerLab lives by our core values and is dedicated to making the world a better, more inclusive place to live! I have good flexibility and freedom to make decisions for the betterment of the team. Lots of work to go around, clients listen to our insights. Lots of great talent in Research and Project Mgt.

Cons

Work/life balance isnt always great, but it can be a part of working in this industry. Sometimes Individual working styles can get in the way of productive collaboration.

Continue reading

"Immature company with focus on the wrong things"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at AnswerLab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some fun outings, if you aren't pressured to do things you don't want to.

Cons

Too much emphasis on looking and acting young. Not a diverse group. I was made fun of for my age (over 42) and not doing shots or knowing the latest pop song (with obscene lyrics). Sad, but true. If you value a professional setting with a company who welcomes diversity, look elsewhere. Management likes yes men/women and promotes those who just go along and suckup. too much sniping.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 28 English Reviews