AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
AppFolio President and CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great management and a very welcoming culture with a true sense of work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

• AppFolio is an awesome company that has stayed true to its company values; that great people make a great company (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 16 reviews)

• Cost of living in Santa Barbara is expensive but in my opinion worth it (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An all-around awesome company"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AppFolio is an awesome company that has stayed true to its company values; that great people make a great company.

Its built for long-term success and still feels like a small, agile start-up.
    And we are on an incredible trajectory of continued, sustainable growth.

Hard work pays off if you want to continue to grow your career as AppFolio and invests a ton in professional growth and training.

Our Leadership is very transparent and approachable which makes it great to have alignment on goals that every team can understand, where they make an impact to the business, and most importantly how that helps our customers in their business.

The benefits and company culture are awesome, and the work/life balance makes for very happy employees!

Cons

There are a lot of free snacks and food so you need to be very disciplined in watching your waistline.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency on communicating the vision and goals of AppFolio. It is very inspiring! I love seeing that our leadership has been here since the beginning and have continued to be aligned in setting goals that drive growth.

Oct 27, 2017 – CMO

Great advice to keep up the transparency - I love to hear that it's inspiring to you! Staying connected and aligned is so important to us as we grow and it's great to hear that is valued by our long... More

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid product with lots of customers. Positive environment, hack days, time to focus on personal projects, tech team retreats, time to volunteer, and enjoyable co-workers.

Cons

The main office is meh. Focusing on maximizing rent and charges to tenants feels like we are exacerbating the housing crisis.

3. "Awesome Company to Grow With!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Appfolio for over three and a half years and it's been such an amazing experience to grow, both experience and position wise, with the company. Leadership does an amazing job of clearly explaining our objectives and what the stakes are. I understand how my actions and my teams actions affect the company's performance.

There are plenty of opportunities for hard workers to move up and management is putting in place more training for newer managers. It's very exciting to see the investment in home-grown talent!

Having worked at other companies that are not as "employee centric," it is very clear that this one is special. I've never worked anywhere that having "Happy" Employees is a focus-it's awesome. That being said, employees have a big responsibility to maintain a positive and productive culture.

I've recommended the company to three other friends (who also currently work here) and felt very confident doing so.

Cons

I think there are growing pains with every company that goes from startup to public, but AppFolio has done an awesome job of staying true to its roots.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and employee focus!

4. "Awesome place"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Kitchen is stocked
    People are nice
    Management is good at coaching

Cons

24/7 call center = night shifts

Nov 28, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear that your experience so far has been positive!

5. "Great Culture with Amazing Career Growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Appfolio has truly spoiled me in what has been both an amazing work environment and great opportunities for career advancement in the last year and a half that I have been employed.

Culture: Monthly team outings, happy hours, company tailgates, holiday parties, and a snack bar that I could write an entire review over. However, personal growth would be my most favorite quality. Aside from giving you the necessary training to be successful in the business to business tech industry, I have been challenged by leadership to grow as an individual outside the workplace such as being more active in the community or hitting my own personal goals.

Career Growth: AppFolio WANTS you to succeed. Many successful individuals in the company started in an entry level role at some point in their AppFolio career. Personally, I was told since day one what I needed to do to advance my own career, and I'm happy to say that my hard work has paid off.

Cons

Cut me off from the snacks in the kitchen, i'm seriously getting addicted to cliff bars.

Advice to Management

Don't change :) We're growing rapidly as a company and I hope we can continue to keep the fundamentals we've prided ourselves on since we first came about!

Nov 28, 2017 – CMO

Love your comment that AppFolio wants you to succeed - this is so true ! We've built our company with committed, engaged and hard working team members and the result is lots of successful... More

6. "MCC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppFolio has a great culture and the benefits are spectacular.

Cons

When you start working in MCC you are told there is a lot of room for growth but that is false. In my time there only 3 persons were promoted into other department’s. Only the “favorite” workers get promoted. Another thing that is bringing down MCC is the managers. Some of the new managers in MCC are condensending. They are rude and have been known to talk bad about associates. Associates have found out what some of these managers are saying about them, which is why they have given up trying to work harder and have resorted to gossiping. I believe management is a reflection of the company and these new mangers are not painting a good picture. There are some mangers in MCC that truly do an amazing job and deserve credit!

Advice to Management

AppFolio is a growing company with a lot of potential. MCC which is just a department within the company is also growing but there is a lot of room for improvement and I believe management is where the improvement should start . The new mangers need to go over the companies culture and reevaluate the way they are treating their employees. Once that has been addressed they need to rethink their hiring process, as some employees being hired are not the best and they do not plan on improving.

Nov 28, 2017 – CMO

Our Maintenance Contact Center position is a great opportunity to launch a career at AppFolio - but we do have high expectations for those who want to grow into other positions in our company.

7. "Awesome environment to grow your career"

Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people - I have made some of my best friends working here. AppFolio really does attract the best people!
    - Exciting company - There's always a lot going on and employees are engaged and passionate about things they are working on.
    - Lots of transparency - I always feel like I understand where we are going long-term and like I am involved in that process.
    - Tons of opportunity to grow - If you work hard and put yourself out there you will find lots of opportunity across various departments. If you have interests in other departments, chances are your manager will work with you to get you where you need to be to make a move. Hard work pays off.
    - 4 weeks PTO!
    - 1 day/year to volunteer at a local company.
    - Annual company-wide fundraising for great causes.
    - Snacks, drinks, t-shirts, swag.

In my 3+ years at AppFolio not once have I woken up and dreaded coming to work. It's a great place with really wonderful people!

Cons

- Some positions seem to be a bit underpaid. All the great benefits weigh against that pretty heavily but that's an area that could use improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding hard work and supporting your employees. Help create opportunities for people who are working hard to earn them.

Nov 16, 2017 – CMO

Love the title of your review - we are really dedicated to creating a great environment with transparency and opportunity to grow - love your statement that 'hard work pays off'. Thank you for... More

8. "Great Company with Great Benefits"

Pros

The leadership at AppFolio really cares about your well-being and this is a great company to work for

Cons

The intern work is tedious but the company as a whole is amazing

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Nov 28, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as an intern here at AppFolio!

9. "Amazing Company, Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team here really cares about your growth and development with the company. They have shown time and time again, that if you have the drive and desire to be successful, they will be right there with you to help make that happen.

I can't thank them enough for the support they have shown in my time here at Appfolio.

Here are some things that are great about Appfolio:

-Benefits, the healthcare plans and 401K are awesome.
    - 29 paid days off!!
    - Free snacks and drinks!
    - The culture is one of innovation and support. They will give you the tools to help make you successful.
    - Opportunity for growth
    - Work/Life balance

Cons

There are no cons to working here.

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing! Continue to offer the great experience that I have had and I have no doubt of the continued success of Appfolio.

Nov 16, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you've had such a great experience at AppFolio. We truly do care about your growth and development and I'm so glad to hear that you feel it!

"Five Stars!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AppFolio is a fabulous company, all the way around! We build products that make the lives of our customers easier and help to fuel their business success (check out the countless number of testimonials from our customers on appfolio.com and mycase.com). We have an amazing leadership team and hire passionate, driven employees that make AppFolio an enjoyable place to come to work every day and make us proud to sport the countless number of shirts and other swag we’ve received around town. AppFolians also love giving back to our communities, as evidenced by the endless number of fundraisers, volunteer opportunities (AF now offers free volunteer days too so you don’t have to use PTO to spend time volunteering), and even initiatives to improve our environmental sustainability in the workplace.

It has been so exciting to see AppFolio grow over the years and to see all of the aggressive goals that we’ve set obtained year after year. AppFolio has grown in a respectable fashion by making smart investments rather than frivolous purchases, which set the company up for long-term success. Along with the business growth have come tremendous personal growth opportunities. While AppFolio encourages employees to own their careers, they also go to great lengths to develop and retain their top talent and invest heavily in personal and professional growth opportunities to help them be successful.

Cons

It's been a challenge to avoid all of the temptations around the office. From the weekly bagel deliveries to the shelves and fridges full of snacks to the regular Happy Hours and celebrations, it can be very easy to overindulge. I should be spending more time in the daily lunch workout classes instead!

Advice to Management

Keep making smart investments. Keep making big bets. Keep thinking two steps ahead. Keep being transparent with employees. Keep hiring great people. Keep rewarding and investing in the top talent. Keep empowering individuals and small teams to drive improvements. Keep celebrating success...and you'll Keep me!

Oct 27, 2017 – CMO

Yes - try to limit the bagel eating....it's hard! Your advice to management is perfect - these are all the things we need to keep doing. We hope to keep you with AppFolio for a very long time!