AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No cons outside of the expected stresses of a Customer Success position" (in 20 reviews)

• "AppFolio pays fairly but Santa Barbara is an expensive city to live in (arguably worth it)" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"What's Not to Love?"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company knows how to hire! I get the pleasure of working alongside quality and driven people-- all day long. From the top-down, the culture at AppFolio is one of a kind. Whether you are a top exec or brand new to the company, everybody is somebody here. My input is valued and my development is as important to my managers as it is to me.

In my 2.5 years at AppFolio, I have had 3 promotions and the opportunities are endless. With multiple Professional Development opportunities and courses available, I am truly in control of my career path.

We are constantly collaborating with other departments, which creates a challenging yet rewarding environment. Work hard, play hard. We celebrate our successes!

Other than the above-- catered lunches, unlimited snacks, happy hours, holiday parties, ping pong tournaments, Mario Kart races AND amazing benefits.. the list goes on. I also love that AppFolio puts a huge focus on giving back to the community (big win!).

Cons

No cons at this time, other than too many snacks in the kitchen...

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I love that in the past 2.5 years, I have seen us grow incredibly fast, yet I still feel as valued from day one as I do today. Management, from our CEO to our Department Managers, all take the time to know us as individuals. Our input matters. Do what you can to keep this-- as it sets AppFolio apart from other companies.

May 31, 2018 – CMO

Your input definitely matters - as we grow we continue to work on ways to increase the collaboration, teamwork and development for our employees. Thank you for taking the time to write such a... More

2. "An AppFolian for more than 16 Months and LOVE IT!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Forward-thinking organization
    - Positive Work Environment
    - Always creating opportunities for employees
    - Increasing opportunity for rapid growth in your career
    - Gain Valuable and Transferable Experience
    - Work in Small and Agile Teams
    - Build Positive Relationships with both your customers and the people you work with
    - Build Value to our customers and see the reward through feedback
    - Collaborative Work Environment

Cons

- None at this time! AppFolio is great place to work. Your experience truly based on your attitude/approach towards the work and what you make of it :)

Advice to Management

AppFolio hires intelligent and forward thinking individuals! Management has done a fantastic job of maintaining such a positive culture and creating opportunities for each employee. In my 16 months at AppFolio, I have learned so much about the Property Management industry and what it takes to be successful. Hiring he right people and making sure all are on board with the companies mission and values, is extremely important to both our Client's and company's success.

Keep up the great work! :)

3. "AppFolian"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Healthy culture that encourages continuous learning and advancement, great snacks to enjoy throughout the day, friendly coworkers, always open to employee feedback.

Cons

If I had to list one....I can't

"Client Services is one of the best places to be!"

Current Employee - Data Migration Specialist in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Data Migration Specialist in Richardson, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Amazing culture and atmosphere, wonderful people, encourages work / life Balance, supportive management, and employees are very appreciated!*

AppFolio has been a wonderful place for me to work. I've grown both professionally and personally here, and it's amazing to see a company that values its employees as much as it does. The opportunities for advancement at AppFolio are second to none - there's always something and it makes us as employees feel accomplished and encouraged.

I have nothing bad to say about AppFolio. My current management is even better than my management in my last department here, which is saying so much because I grew so much in that department as well as a result of their support.

I owe so much to this company and I am so glad I chose to work here!

Cons

We're getting a bit cramped from growing, but that's a good thing in the end! Honestly, everything has been amazing!

Advice to Management

Please keep encouraging employees to take on their own projects - it's really motivating and helps us feel like we're really contributing!

Aug 3, 2018 – CMO

Love to hear that you've grown professionally and personally -- it sounds like you're really making the most your time and opportunity at AppFolio!

5. "It's just a job, not a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

- Great co-workers
    - Plenty of PTO
    - Flexible hours

The business has many different facets so if you're willing you can move laterally to work in various roles.

AppFolio has an excellent product, which seems to help all teams across the board. It's easier to support, sell, market, build, and promote a great product than a bad one.

Cons

The thing about working at Appfolio is that your experience will largely be determined by where you are in your career. You will probably enjoy it if this is your first professional job after college, or perhaps if you are just looking for a job to pay the bills for a while. In either case, plan to stay no more than a year or two and keep your expectations low.

I worked for AppFolio 4+ years and consider it a good starting point for a career but not a place to build your career long-term.

Here are the cons:

1. External Promotion
    AppFolio fills a lot of management positions by hiring externally. This means less opportunity for you, the hard-working employee. Of course this is good news if you are on the outside and interviewing for such a position!

2. Promotions are Simply Title Changes
    While internal promotions do happen, they are usually nothing more than a changing of your title and don't offer much, if any, additional responsibility or true growth with respect to what you do on a day to day basis. It's worth sticking around until you get a "Senior" title if that's what you're after but for those wanting more than that, then it might be time to move on. Lateral movement is great to a point, but it's treated as if it's a promotion like you're supposed to be happy that you can't get promoted but you can job hop all you want.

3. Inconsistent Rules / Guidelines
    Compliance rules are set in place but when a customer doesn't fit in the regulations and employee sticks to the rules, management then appeases customer and doesn't always back up employees even though they were doing exactly what they were told to do.

4. Incompetency is Overlooked
    It is way too easy for employees, and yes managers too, to get by while barely keeping up with their job. Managers and directors seem to just not care how employees perform. If work piles up for one employee they will just dole it out to the rest, in essence giving extra work to those who are trying to stay ahead. Where's the motivation to work hard if you know your co-workers performance is lackluster and you will end up with some of their clients/work anyway?

5. Yes Men/Women are Rewarded
    This one has to be the worst. AppFolio's culture has a very fake air to it, and it is no where more evident than when an inept employee gets a promotion. Why would such employee get a promotion you ask? It is because they agree with everything the boss says and are also vocal about how much they love AppFolio.
    What upper management wants more than anything is for you to be a proud promoter of the company, it's culture, and just be smiling and positive all the time. While there's nothing wrong with that at all (in fact is a good thing because who wants to work at a company where everyone is negative?), in this case the pendulum has swung wayyy too far to the happy-go-lucky side of things. So much so, that we have these cases where management is willing to turn a blind eye to the incompetency and instead reward the positivity. Sadly, I watched this happen many times and it really does take away the motivation to do your best work.

6. Fake, Very Fake
    As a continuation of the last con, the culture seems very forced and not entirely genuine. It was genuine at one time and some of that has continued but for the most part you get the sense while working there that behind the smile, your manager or co-worker is really just out for himself/herself.

7. Pretend to Want Feedback
    Speaking up in meetings is encouraged but in reality they only want you to go along with everything the manager or director is saying, don't try to come up with alternative solutions. Basically if you reiterate what a manager just said in a different way and agree with them, you will be applauded.
    Employee surveys are sent out every so often which is a great way to provide feedback but for the most part things don't change in response to the surveys. It seems that the motivation for the surveys is more to influence and convince employees that AppFolio is a great place to work than collect feedback.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of bright and talented people working for you, don't take them for granted and look within the company to fill positions.

Not all employees found the one on one's to be beneficial. The content of these meetings could be more flexible depending on the employee.

Please no more pretending to want honest feedback. Instead, don't be afraid to tell employees how you want things done, no questions asked. You're the boss after all.

6. "Great not the strict kind of place"

Current Employee - Leasing Contact Center in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Leasing Contact Center in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office environment is lax, they have great benefits and have snacks to keep you going. More offices should let the environment be a bit relaxed, productivity would be much better.

Cons

The maintenance and leasing center is 24 hours out of the day all year long, so no vacation on Christmas or New Year's.

Advice to Management

Keep the good and friendly environment!

7. "Maintenance Contact Center Rep"

Former Employee - Maintenance Contact Center Representative in Richards, TX
    Former Employee - Maintenance Contact Center Representative in Richards, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere! Healthy food and gym area for light exercises. Company activities and overall good quality products/training to get the job done.

Cons

When accepting this specific position keep in mind that you will be dealing with tenant aka their place of living. There is going to be stressful situation that you cannot take up to someone higher at Appfolio. You have to deescalate as best you can, you may contact property managers but they are also very busy that sometimes you cannot reach them.

I worked here during the time there was several hurricanes in the US, and most of our tenants got hit. This was a very hard time for me to deal with, as i created WO and submitted them to vendors.. sometimes it would take days for them to assist..NOW that is not Appfolios fault - Technicians can't work in the rain or they were booked with other WO.

My advise to those who take on this position have to prepare for situations that can affect there mental health. I would go home thinking about work, dreaming it, talking to my friends about it. It was unhealthy, you have to be mental strong and even though i was doing a great job at work I didn't feel like I was truly helping those over the phone.

Advice to Management

perhaps, people with 911 dispatcher experience would be a better fit -

Aug 3, 2018 – CMO

Glad to hear you enjoyed the benefits and atmosphere of AppFolio. Sounds like this role wasn't the right fit for you - wish you the best in your next role!

"Maintenance Contact Center"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Solid business model allowing fast growth
    CEO engagement
    Team Culture
    Company values

Cons

Office politics
    Nepotism
    Biased decision making from management
    Hidden agendas by management team

9. "Job Jackpot"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just started here less than 2 months ago and I feel that I’ve hit the job jackpot! I enjoy going to work everyday. The best part of the job is the people you’re surrounded by. AppFolio really hires people based on fit to company culture and that’s what makes it a great place to work. Training is great and management is awesome! Lots of opportunity to move up.

Cons

I wish they had tuition reimbursement for graduate school.

Advice to Management

Tuition reimbursement for graduate school

May 31, 2018 – CMO

What a great review title! We are happy to have you working with our customers to get them up and running with our software - so glad to hear you appreciate the culture and are committed to making... More

10. "AppFolio is a great place to build a career and have fun doing it!"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

• Opportunities for career growth - hard work is recognized and an internal job board advertises new openings within the company

• Upper management is gracious and approachable - transparent company meetings, "Coffee with the CFO," open to questions and feedback

• Engaging corporate culture - annual guacamole-making contest, summer barbecue and fundraising for employee-picked nonprofits (this year we're supporting Rise Against Hunger)

Cons

• Some junior leaders are inexperienced and could use some coaching

Aug 3, 2018 – CMO

These are such great pros - opportunities for growth, transparent leadership and an engaging culture - thank you for taking the time to share them. We love to see AppFolians grow into leadership... More