AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 16 Oct 2019

4.4
AppFolio CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall
Pros
  • "Appfolio makes sure that its employees have a great work-life balance(in 47 reviews)

• "A work-life balance is strongly encouraged here and I think that's an important factor in the company culture(in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons, really the best place to be(in 25 reviews)

• "It is expensive to live in Santa Barbara(in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"What makes AppFolio great? Let me count the ways..."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Note: I'm in the Product Development department, which houses software engineers, quality-assurance engineers (QA), user-experience designers (UX), and product managers (PM). It also contains our Operations and Security teams. Other departments are probably great also, but this review pertains to my department. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Small teams. We... work in small, focused, 6-person autonomous teams comprised of a few software engineers, a UX designer, QA engineer, and a product manager. Each team is focused on cranking out software solutions to delight our customers; there is very little bureaucracy and very few top-down mandates. My team's product manager presents several high-impact projects, and we work on whichever project we think is most interesting. We all have a say in what we work on, so we all feel a sense of ownership over our projects. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ No deadlines. We try hard to deliver quality software in incremental stages, getting feedback from our customers along the way, so we hardly ever waste time developing features that no one wants. Management trusts us to iterate quickly and deliver value rapidly, but there is also an understanding that it's important to build sustainable, maintainable code. Consequently, we can take the time to code it right, and be proud of our work. I've been really impressed that no one imposes arbitrary deadlines on us. For example, toward the end of a recent project, even though we had finished shipping the feature, we decided we needed an extra week to refactor the code to integrate it nicely into our codebase. So we took the time to do it right, and no one batted an eye! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Great culture. Every couple weeks our team has a "retro" -- a meeting where we look back on the last couple weeks to see how we can improve. Retros start with "appreciations", where people take turns thanking their teammates for their help and support. It sounds corny but it's actually really nice. Who doesn't want to be appreciated at work? And there are lots of events: We have team outings (we took a trip to the local zoo), volunteer days (the company gives us a day a year of paid "volunteer time", we recently went out into the Santa Barbara hills and repaired some hiking trails), hackathons, tech retreats, and contests to make the best guacamole and present it in a funny skit. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Good infrastructure. Writing tests for our software is deeply ingrained in our culture. We have a huge suite of tests that run in an automated fashion every time you change the code. The philosophy is essentially, "If the tests pass, then you didn't break anything." It's very luxurious to be able to release code knowing that you didn't break some feature on the other side of the codebase. It lets us move quickly with confidence. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Investment in employees. We have a great onboarding program, bi-weekly 1-hour in-depth tech lectures, bi-weekly sequences of 15-minute tech-demos, and a curriculum of ~40 one-hour workshops on various aspects of our tech stack. Management agrees that it's vital for us to keep our skills up-to-date and sharp, and it's a great asset to have so much knowledge-sharing as part of our culture. We also do a lot of pair-programming, which I really like. It's a very high-bandwidth way to learn about our code base. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Good work-life balance. AppFolio does a good job of providing some amenities, but not so many that you feel pressure to live at work. For example, we have lots of yummy snacks, coffee, and various sodas (all free!), but you wouldn't be able to eat all your meals at work. I like that we don't have on-site massages, laundry, child-care, or haircuts. Santa Barbara is too beautiful for us to spend all our time at work, so we have enough amenities to make our work-time enjoyable and comfy, but not enough to stay cooped up in the office. People get to work around 8:30 or 9 and leave around 5:30 or 6. Because we try to deliver value in a steady stream of small improvements, the work is very consistent, which contributes to my work-life balance.

Cons

It is expensive to live in Santa Barbara!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!! Try to maintain our wonderful culture as the company enjoys its meteoric growth!

AppFolio2019-05-01

June 4, 2019CMO

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and detailed review. We are so proud of our engineering team and it's so great to hear that you value so many of the ways the team is intentional about creating a great environment. We often talk about how our great culture is because of the people who work here and this review really covers all the bases! Thank you for choosing to grow here with us.

2. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Marketing Database Specialist in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at this company for a little over one year now and I still love it. Despite being early in my career, I feel valued and that my opinion matters. I look forward to coming into work (for once in my life) and I think that most people here feel the same.

Cons

Although its not AppFolio's fault, Santa Barbara (HQ) is crazy expensive. It's hard to find housing and even harder to find something affordable.

Advice to Management

You guys seem to know better than I do on how to run a great business. No complaints.

AppFolio2019-10-16
  3. "Great company culture and positive working environment!"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture that emphasizes a healthy work life balance. There are frequent company events to foster community and team building. The leadership is open-minded and transparent about strategy and direction. Company encourages professional growth and give more responsibility to individuals who've earned it.

Cons

Salaries are on the lower end for the Customer Success team members. Majority of leadership is male and white.

AppFolio2019-10-16

"Fantastic work place culture!"

Current Employee - Dispatch Representative, Contact Center in Plano, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is friendly, warm, welcoming, and supportive! The managers take great care in coaching you to be the best you can be.

Cons

Sometimes it gets really cold in the office space but that is to make sure the computers don't over heat.

AppFolio2019-10-11

October 16, 2019CMO

So glad to hear you find the workplace supportive!

5. "Great place to work, excellent personal development resources"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competent and friendly colleagues. Incredible access to resources for career growth and personal development. Fun culture. Easy to work remote.

Cons

Keeps you very busy. High priority projects can be stressful and consuming (though such projects do not come along often).

AppFolio2019-10-15

October 16, 2019CMO

So glad to hear you're taking advantage of career growth opportunities, learning and development. We've been continuing to add more resources and team members in this area and it's great to hear you appreciate it.

6. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Public Records Analyst in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Appfolio allows you to work without micromanagement. They provide you the tools to succeed and allow you to move within the company. They are responsive to employee needs and everyone makes working here a lot of fun. This place rocks.

Cons

There are a lot of meetings but that is part of the business world.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing. Everyone loves working at Appfolio because management is responsive to employee needs and listens to what needs to change.

AppFolio2019-10-15

October 16, 2019CMO

Great advice to management - thank you!

7. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company values employees. Great coworkers. Latest and greatest technology. Fun work environment and lots of AppFolio branded items.

Cons

Starting pay could be higher

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and listening to your employees and customers.

October 16, 2019CMO

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion!

8. "Career Growth at a Growing Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great company to grow your career and get exposed to new professional experiences. I'm surrounded by passionate, intelligent, and kind people who are customer focused.

Cons

Lacking guidance and communication from leadership, forcing me to solve problems without having greater context. Also, the overall headcount growth at the company has created crowded and disruptive working conditions. I regularly cannot find an available conference room for confidential conversations and team meetings.

Advice to Management

Since I started at AppFolio, I've consistently felt my compensation is below industry average. If this theme continues, it may encourage me to look elsewhere for employment. Also, we need more space! There is a lot of background noise on my calls with customers, and I'm regularly unable to find an open stall in the restrooms.

October 16, 2019CMO

Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback - glad to hear you feel surrounded by a great team. We are definitely growing and have more space coming soon.

9. "Appfolio is a great place to grow your career."

Current Employee - Website Coordinator in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people Fun Events Lots of Perks Good Atmosphere

Cons

Pay is not competitive based on Cost of living.

Advice to Management

Adjust Pay so we can afford to live to close to work.

October 16, 2019CMO

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience - glad to hear you are surrounded by great people. We do benchmark our roles on an ongoing basis and our recruiting team is close to what is happening with the market. We also have a total rewards philosophy that encompasses compensation, benefits, perks, work environment, career growth and development, give back opportunities, a great work/life balance and an inclusive and supportive culture.

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Website Production Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance, friendly management, fantastic training, dog-friendly, fun culture.

Cons

I can't think of any at the time.

October 16, 2019CMO

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at AppFolio.

Found 412 reviews