AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company encourages work/life balance" (in 26 reviews)

• "The people who work here contribute to a fantastic company culture" (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons outside of the expected stresses of a Customer Success position" (in 22 reviews)

• "They are head-quartered in Santa Barbara" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"What's Not to Love?"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company knows how to hire! I get the pleasure of working alongside quality and driven people-- all day long. From the top-down, the culture at AppFolio is one of a kind. Whether you are a top exec or brand new to the company, everybody is somebody here. My input is valued and my development is as important to my managers as it is to me.

In my 2.5 years at AppFolio, I have had 3 promotions and the opportunities are endless. With multiple Professional Development opportunities and courses available, I am truly in control of my career path.

We are constantly collaborating with other departments, which creates a challenging yet rewarding environment. Work hard, play hard. We celebrate our successes!

Other than the above-- catered lunches, unlimited snacks, happy hours, holiday parties, ping pong tournaments, Mario Kart races AND amazing benefits.. the list goes on. I also love that AppFolio puts a huge focus on giving back to the community (big win!).

Cons

No cons at this time, other than too many snacks in the kitchen...

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I love that in the past 2.5 years, I have seen us grow incredibly fast, yet I still feel as valued from day one as I do today. Management, from our CEO to our Department Managers, all take the time to know us as individuals. Our input matters. Do what you can to keep this-- as it sets AppFolio apart from other companies.

May 31, 2018 – CMO

Your input definitely matters - as we grow we continue to work on ways to increase the collaboration, teamwork and development for our employees. Thank you for taking the time to write such a... More

"Dynamic, growth company that invests in you growing your career"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

AppFolio puts our customers first and builds innovative technology that helps them succeed - I love being a part of the sales team because I believe in the value we deliver! The company has grown, but the culture just keeps getting better - with more investment in employees and creating more product offerings. The leadership team is hands on and committed to helping you win and get to the next level.

Cons

hard to think of any...

"Great people make a great company"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at AppFolio for a little over four years. I agree with what I'm reading in the rest of the positive reviews on here -- this is a great company, full of awesome people. I've had numerous opportunities to grow my career, and I'm happy with the challenges and opportunities I've been given.

AppFolio is obviously a tech company, but it feels less like a 'startup' than it did when I first started working here. That's not a bad thing -- it just feels like we're a little more deliberate in how we make decisions. We still have the (organic) snacks, the dogs, the standing desks, the Macs, the brightly-painted walls, the candy, the ping-pong tables, arcade machine, lots of PTO, and all those other perks that say "Don't worry, you're not working at the Sears corporate office".

In my opinion, AppFolio's upper management have done a stellar job of steering the ship. We still have a lot of room to grow in this industry, and the list of things we could build is a mile long. Our leadership team has done a great job of prioritizing features and functions to make sure that we don't over-extend ourselves, while providing a ton of value to our customers.

We have a set of company values that were drafted by the co-founders when AppFolio first started, about ten years ago. One of my favorites is 'Great people make a great company' -- this really rings true for me. AppFolio is full of smart, friendly, considerate and genuinely nice people. It's not that we're giving each other hugs in the hallways all day long, but there's a real sense of openness and trust that comes from a culture like this. People will obviously come to meetings with opposing views or priorities, but in my experience it's easy to navigate through difficult situations because you can always start by assuming the other person has good intentions.

Cons

I've noticed some 'con-ments' on Glassdoor around compensation. I think it's an important issue, and all else being equal, I'm sure we all want a bigger paycheck. My two cents is that AppFolio has a very fair compensation structure, with solid PTO, health insurance, 401k and other things that are generally the subject of conversation with your doting grandparents.

In the past couple of years, AppFolio has become more transparent about the way the compensation structure works, which has been helpful to me both as an employee and as a manager. I had an awesome promotion experience with my current manager, where I was able to have a productive discussion about my goals and understand the framework the company uses to determine compensation.

There are no real cons to speak of, except for minor ones that directly stem from the fact that we're a fast-growing company. For example, it can sometimes be hard to find available conference rooms, and sometimes we run out of fresh raspberries to put on our organic yogurt and granola in the morning. Tragic, I know.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing -- hiring great people and making great products!

Oct 18, 2018 – CMO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here - you have great perspective after 4+ years. We all feel super connected to our values and it's great to hear that you see how this... More

"Customer Focused Innovation"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

AppFolio is full of talented, innovative people that are a joy to be around. The company focuses on their customers which has been the recipe for success. There are a ton of growth opportunities and AppFolio invests in it's people. I'm happy I made the choice to trust AppFolio with my career.

Cons

As a growing company its hard to stay connected to everyone especially those in different locations.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to the company values and put the customers first.

Oct 18, 2018 – CMO

Customer -focused is a huge differentiator for us -- it keeps us aligned and focused on the right things. As we grow it is definitely more challenging to stay connected to everyone - we are always... More

5. "I love this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Awesome leadership team. Being a publicly traded company, change within AppFolio and the product itself is necessary and constant. Executives are transparent in the reasons behind these changes, which allows employees to understand how the company ultimately makes decisions. This is rare for a company of this size. While AppFolio has grown substantially since I was hired, this is something that has not changed and I hope never will.

- SO MUCH opportunity. Employees are encouraged to be forward-thinking in their career and management always looks internally when a new position opens. I have received 4 promotions in the span of 4 years.

- Amazing people. I have met some of my closest friends working at AppFolio. They hire positive, hardworking people that you actually enjoy being around outside of work.

- Cross departmental movement/learning opportunities. There are frequent meetings held for the sole purpose of educating employees on the inner workings of other departments to ensure we are all aligned as a business and to foster career progression. Employees are always supported if they have an interest in a position that falls outside of their department.

- Impressive product. Employees are able to meet customers at trade shows, our annual customer conference, and luncheons hosted throughout the year across the country. Getting that face-to-face interaction allows us to see the positive impact our software has on our clients and their businesses.

- Work hard, play hard mentality. The teams I have been a part of have always been rewarded for their success.

- Compensation. We're all here to make money.

Cons

I can't think of any!

Advice to Management

As I mentioned before, I love the opportunity for growth - I've seen so many leadership positions filled internally. That being said, the majority of these employees have limited or no management experience. I think it would be helpful to provide additional training to these individuals - How to give constructive feedback, how to motivate employees, how to foster career growth, etc. I've seen people struggle in these areas when first managing, which can ultimately have negative effects on their team.

Oct 18, 2018 – CMO

Glad to hear you've found so much opportunity here - we love hearing these career growth success stories. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and the great advice as we grow... More

6. "Great engineering and product culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing engineering and product culture
    - Truly practices agile
    - Great company mission and lots of room to grow
    - Very transparent in all aspect of the business
    - Great work/life balance
    - Lots of activities and really good people to work with
    - San Diego is an amazing place :)

Cons

- Not really much but the pay can always be a bit better...
    - Wish they would pay a bit more for experienced engineers
    - More bonus incentives

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work; its an amazing company!

7. "Growing Company w/ Lots of Opportunities for Career Growth"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are constantly teaching me new concepts and inspiring me to do great things. I love the impact and agency I have to enact change within the company. I also love the way we keep it fun with company sponsored sports, hack days, and tech retreats.

Cons

As the company grows in size and across multiple sites, it's harder to stay in touch with everyone. We have to continue to create opportunities for our offices to interact with each other. Being away from the company headquarters can tend to make the employees there feel like outsiders.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the focus on the customer, continue to invest heavily in engineering and our culture.

8. "A progressive company that values it's employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities for growth. Flexible schedules (perfect for college students/new grads). Managers who go out of their way to facilitate the success of their employees. Fully stocked fridge with healthy food options. Corporate discounts. Office events. I could go on!

Cons

None that come to mind.

Advice to Management

Contact Center meetings feel a little redundant. The information discussed at these meetings can probably be effectively communicated via email.

9. "Great company to grow your skill set"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Appfolio for almost 2 years at this point, and I've had the privilege of working in a number of roles across two departments. I started my career here as a Sales Development Rep (Now known as Business Development Rep), and was able to make my way up the ranks to where I was eventually leading the team. The department gave me a great knowledge base of the type of clients we search for and the Real Estate Industry as a whole. I truly felt valued by my team and management, but the job itself was definitely a grind. I think the department is a great place to start a sales career at Appfolio, and I definitely recommend it to any hard working candidates who aren't afraid to keep challenging themselves everyday.

Cons

Space is getting a little crowded, but I know its something our team is working on.

Advice to Management

Keep on offering career development tools. I'm a big fan of the recent lunch and learns we've had that allow us to learn from industry experts.

10. "A company that really cares for its people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture, the people here are awesome. They motivate you to grow and take risks. Great for learning and growing, especially for someone straight out of college. Fun activities year round!

Cons

A few more vacation days around Christmas would be nice, but we have more than enough PTO to make up for it!