AppFolio Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.8

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppFolio (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted an application for the role. One of their coordinators on the team reached out to try to schedule an interview. Unfortunately the email ended up in a junk mail folder and before I realized it, they rejected me in their system. I emailed back apologizing and asking to see if we can still connect. No response.

It looks like a great company to be a part of, but I ended up joining another great company instead. I'd still potentially be interested down the road if another opportunity opens up, but they should consider checking how some of their email communications may end up in someone's junk mail folder and reconsider.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio in April 2017.

Interview

I applied twice at AppFolio because I read the good reviews about the company. I received an email the first time and my application was rejected. The second time I applied because they have plenty of openings and I received an email first to set up a phone interview and then a phone call with the recruiter very nice and profesional. He set up a phone call with the manger and he called me 24 hours later "Very unprofessional" . He was rude and short and he just talked about himself and he didn't care about me. I haven't received any phone call or email after. Is he a customer service manager? Poor clients very disappointed. Give people te opportunity to work and don't discriminate.
     The interview was in Santa Barbara ,CA

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the product?   1 Answer

Director, Stratgic Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Horrible experience. Had two phone interviews then was asked to come to Santa Barbara to meet with 6 people (3 hours total). I booked rooms and took days off to go there. When I got there I had my first interview, then was told during my second one that the rest of the team was not available anymore and we would do virtual interviews in the coming weeks. I waited about 10 days to hear back and was then told the job requirements had changed and that I would not be interviewed. What a giant waste of time...never again!

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

The interview process was great. Easy to speak to, and were very intriguing, however it is very underpaid in my opinion. The atmosphere of the work place is great. everyone seemed very down to earth.

Low pay

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us - we are very pleased that you enjoyed the environment here and got a good vibe. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an ... More

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Had a phone call with the recruiter then the VP of Product. After some non-technical questions, it was discovered that they were looking for a Visual Designer, not a UX designer. The company doesn't seem to know the difference. Waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What about the job description excited you?   1 Answer

Feb 24, 2017

We value your time, and I am sorry to hear that regarding the position differences - that is not our goal! We are committed to taking in this feedback and continuously improving. Thank you for ... More

Data Quality Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AppFolio (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I went through a phone screening, an in-person interview, video interview, and final interview. The interview process was quite simple. All 3 interviewers were very friendly, welcoming, and professional. I really wanted to work for Appfolio and ecstatically accepted the offered position. However, after careful consideration and much thought, I turned down what I initially accepted. I'm extremely grateful they gave me the opportunity to work there and would gladly apply again!!

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

Mar 27, 2017

We are so pleased to hear that you had a positive experience - thank you for sharing and welcome aboard to the AppFolio team!

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

I spoke to all three directors of value-added services, as well as the VP of value added services for the company. One of the directors was my potential manager. I also met a few of the team members that I would be working with. The whole thing took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time you made a big positive impact?   Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017

We are so pleased to hear this - thank you for sharing and welcome aboard to the AppFolio team!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I went to an on-campus event and talked to the recruiter. I was told to also apply online. The nice ting about the event is, they actually showed you how the latest technology is used in the industry. For my case, it was an introduction to ReactJS. Really, this event made it stand out from other tech companies, even ones that are larger and more famous.

About three weeks later, I received an email saying that they want to schedule a phone interview with the recruiter. I was really impressed during the event so I really wanted to intern at AppFolio. The first phone interview went well, then we scheduled a time for technical phone interview.

For the technical phone interview, it was an algorithm question, wrote it on an online coding platform (I forgot the name). The problem was relatively easy (using HashMap and basic array operations, I am not gonna share the problem because if you are a qualifying computer science student you should be able to solve it without seeing it ahead of time) and I guess the focus is more about whether you are able to solve a real world problem, and steps you took to solve it (how your thought process is), than whether you had seen this question and solve it quickly.

A few days later, I received an email from the recruiter inviting me for an onsite interview at the San Diego office. The onsite interview consisted of walking around the company and two technical interviews, both of them require white-boarding. For the first interview, the interviewers were two senior engineers. The question is not too hard nor too easy, if you have studied data structure and algorithm throughly, it shouldn't be challenging. During the interview, I found that the interviewer and I actually shared many interests in technology. So I got excited and talked a lot. I think both the interviewers and me had a good time.

The next interview was with the director. He was a nice person and we solved an algorithm problem together. Again, I don't think it's necessary to show you the problem because if you are a qualifying CS student you should be able to solve it without much challenging. I solved the problem quickly but got stuck at the final improvements. I was thinking about the improvements that could improve the big O, but turns out the optimization doesn't affect the big O. I finally solved it. Then I asked a lot of questions regarding how they pick technologies for the project.

The overall process is very positive, interesting people and interesting technologies. I think it's the best interview process I ever had.

Interview Questions

• A question involves hash table and basic array operations.
      A question involves quick select.
      A question involves set operations.
      Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017

Dear Happy Employee, We are so thrilled to hear this - these types of reviews keep us smiling. Welcome to the AppFolio team!

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Contacted by email for phone screening interview with a recruiter. Wasn't technical in nature and just a nice talk about the company culture and what I knew. I was set up for a phone interview with one of the QA team members and asked behavioral questions for 45 minutes. It went well and the interviewee was very friendly and relatable. Thanksgiving holiday was coming up within a week and a half, so my onsite interview was postponed 10 days. Apparently, there were too many people on paid leave. Once onsite for a 2 hour interview, I met with a Senior QA Analyst who was very professional and helpful. We talked for over a hour and it ended nicely while she had me answer a few questions and showed me a web application she wanted me to try and analyze. Next, I met with a different QA member who picked my brain on behavioral questions as if my answers weren't meeting his standards. He went over concepts related to the job and didn't ask anything very technical. I left after those 2 hours and 15 minutes since I wasn't scheduled to meet with the Director.

I thought this would be the end of the process, but I suddenly get another email within a week asking me to meet with a different Director. I believe he calls the shots since I thoroughly thought I spent a good amount of time with other team members and it went well. He ends up asking me things from 3 years ago on my resume about a school project and I do my best to explain since he didn't know too much either. The next question was also had me try and write a function on the whiteboard. It was fair, and at first I blanked, but was just confused on what the output would need to look like. I explained my logic of how I would approach it, but since I haven't been practicing programming lately in my courses I had a hard time. He ended up walking through it with me and that pretty much wrapped up the interview with some questions I asked him at the end. Overall, it was friendly but time consuming and unexpected to be asked more typical software engineering questions for an entry level QA position. The amount of time they put into me was immense and I felt like they were unprepared. The first onsite interview had one of the interviewees reading off a document of questions to ask me. They had to postpone my interview process. Lastly, I was told an onsite interview would be the last round, but was invited again on short notice. It's sad because I was genuinely interested in devoting a lot to Appfolio and everything was going smoothly until the last interview, only to be told they are looking for people with more work experience. They knew from the beginning I was a upcoming new grad this month and have access to my resume with only course projects. So, that leaves the question of why I even got so far into the interview process if that was the only feedback I got.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that prints out Folders and Documents in order with subsequent spaces each time you go deeper into a Folder. You have two classes: Folder and Doc both containing strings to their names. In the Folder class you have two arrays defined that will contain folders and docs respectively. e.g. Folder1(root) at first level. Doc1, Doc2, Folder2, Folder 3 at second level. And Folder2 has two children Doc 3 and Doc 4. Output should be similar to

Folder1
         Doc 4
       Folder 3
      1 Answer

Feb 24, 2017

We value your feedback and time - thank you for sharing both with us. We are working with our team to use your feedback to continuously improve our interview experience. We wish you the best in your ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen, followed by a technical interview via GoToMeeting and Google Docs. After the first technical interview, I got an email saying they would not be moving forward with my application. Everyone was relatively quick to respond and nice during the process.

Interview Questions

• Implement a hash table.
      Describe what happens when you click on a link from a Google search.
      What is an outer join?
      Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an opportunity that may be a fit. Best of luck to you.