Appalachian Regional Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Appalachian Regional Healthcare President & CEO Joe Grossman
Joe Grossman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for, very family oriented."

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Whitesburg, KY
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Whitesburg, KY

I have been working at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small Town environment, co-workers are like family.

Cons

Short staffing leads to mandations.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to improve staff retention and attract new employees.

2. "PCA"

I worked at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time

Pros

Great doctors and staff to work with

Cons

They hire traveling nurses (which are great) but they should be hiring local for a more stable hospital/staff environment.

3. "RN staff"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Hazard, KY
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Hazard, KY

I worked at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time

Pros

nothing good about this company. run.. don't even think of getting a job here. a very toxic environment. especially with management.

Cons

vindictive, and punitive. they will go after your license. it is whom you know not what you know. so backward in everything including the way the hospital is managed.

Advice to Management

listen to your staff. the worst place to work. better to be unemployed than work in this place. the locals hate this hospital. Managers don't even have a bachelors degree. so how do you expect this place to work?

4. "Caring Employer, Offers Stability and Satisfaction"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Hazard, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Hazard, KY

I worked at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close knit company and offer room for advancement

Cons

Compensation for management staff is low for some positions

Advice to Management

When promoting from within, increase compensation to same level you would have to pay someone joining the company from outside the company

5. "Good pay for Hazard, KY"

I worked at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time

Pros

Standardized pay grades and raises, you know what you will be making based on your qualifications.

Cons

Not enough staff in almost all departments. This leaves staff stressed and in a bad mood and does not promote a good work environment, in addition to decreasing patient care.

Advice to Management

You are an expanding company, understand that with the increase in patient load you will need to increase staff to compensate for this.

6. "Lot of work very little reward or recognition."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazard, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazard, KY

I worked at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, steady and stable company, benefits are okay. You could do much worse in Eastern KY.

Cons

Pay is horrifyingly low. It isn't anywhere near similar to pay in Lexington. Further, if they figure out you are competent you will do your job and many others as well. It has a tendency to balloon. That further complicates the fact that you are already underpaid. Frustration just builds and builds.
    Old school mentality. It definitely depends on who you know if you want to get ahead. Also how you look and present yourself matters. Can be extremely superficial and fake. They prefer the personality type that will get along to go along, rather than anyone rocking the boat.
    Coworkers and environment can be a bit toxic. Gossiping and pettiness. People seem to care more about the title they have rather than actually having a good work ethic or doing a good job. This presents itself as- wanting to take ownership of everything but not actually owning the failures as well as the successes. Or taking ownership in a superficial way but not actually really owning or understanding tasks. There is a lot of task overlap and a LOT of people not knowing who is supposed to be doing what. Frankly, there seems to be a lot of people that are unneeded and unproductive. Also, many that are not knowledgeable about the roles they are supposed to be performing.
    On the flip side, those productive knowledgeable people are really great. Worked to death but great.

There is a bit of staleness. A little like a time warp. The mentality that it's how we've always done it and how we will continue to do it. They have a tendency to not revisit items to see if things have changed or can or should be done differently. Upper management tends to not want to admit or reverse course when things aren't going well. Instead they double down. I think there is very much a male dominated mentality that reversing course or changing their mind is seen as weakness.
    Rather than being proactive, the environment is very much reactive. Example, instead of maintenance to keep things running smoothly, wait until it breaks completely then fix it because you have to. My best guess is organizationally, they could have much higher profits just by trimming the dead weight and actually having knowledgeable people in place. While costing more in salaries it would make or change them significantly in other areas. I know of at least 5 different areas where people who are administrative employees could become cost neutral and even money making positions but because it's not how they've always done things they won't even consider that there might be a better, more cost effective alternative. Lots of excuses for why things are done the way they are rather than trying to think outside of the box for creative solutions. No communication between operations management and staff. Almost like, they are administration so definitely smarter and above non important you.

Advice to Management

Talent and hard work should be rewarded. There is a lot of glory stealing by administration. Look deeper. Really learn your business and those people in the lower positions. I think you will find extremely dedicated people but this company could definitely use a shakeup. You have a lot of unproductive, dead weight. Then there are extremely dedicated hard working people that are not rewarded. It is very frustrating and theres not much job satisfaction.
    There is a real opportunity here to change healthcare in our region in a very profound way if upper management/administrators would step up and hold people accountable. In some ways I wish I had stayed but I really don't think any significant changes in mindset will be coming soon. It seems much easier for the company to bury its head in the sand rather than acknowledge and try to change those things that are truly hard. I think, if some of the changes were made it would not only increase employee satisfaction but also patient satisfaction.

7. "Caring for the community"

I have been working at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time

Pros

Taking care of the people of my community; excellent co-workers

Cons

Below market salaries; lack of accountability in key positions

8. "Clerk"

I have been working at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time

Pros

ARH is usually reasonable when it comes to family needs.

Cons

Management does not consult with staff regarding decisions. Implementation of new procedures is not thought out. The hiring process can be selective and biased.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Put people in positions that know the position. Don't hire by education only.

9. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beckley, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beckley, WV

I have been working at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, friendly staff, great incentive rewards

Cons

Pay isn't all that great and too long between pay raises.

10. "Toxic environment"

I worked at Appalachian Regional Healthcare full-time

Pros

Insurance was good, many locations

Cons

Terrible leadership, advance by relationships rather than performance, toxic workplace

Advice to Management

Place good people in management or declines will continue