Appleseeds Learning Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Appleseeds Learning Center Reviews

Updated Jun 14, 2019

2.9
Appleseeds Learning Center Founding Director Emma Chenoweth (no image)
Emma Chenoweth

"Fabulous Place With Fabulous Kids"

Current Employee - RBT in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Appleseeds Learning Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are several pros to working at Appleseeds! There is opportunity for free training, supervision with incredible BCBAs, and they are flexible with scheduling. They have begun implementing several formats to try to open communication throughout the company. The center is also expanding rapidly, and they have acquired new team members on leadership that bring a lot of knowledge to the clinic!

Cons

ABA isn’t easy. You will have sessions that are really hard. They require a lot of flexibility from employees regarding client scheduling. There have also been some issues with adequate communication in the past.

Advice to Management

Make sure the people you hire don’t just have the ability, but the DRIVE to teach the kids all the skills they need to live functional lives. Make sure that training is adequate to provide the kids with therapists who can teach these fundamental skills as efficiently and effectively as possible. I would also recommend being upfront and clear regarding expectations of employees.

Appleseeds Learning Center2019-06-14
  2. "Love this place"

Current Employee - RBT in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Appleseeds Learning Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

The kids are so great, and it's such a reward to get to see them grow. Also, the staff makes me feel like I'm in this huge family, its so great! Honestly couldn't be happier working here.

Cons

Sometimes your days can be long.

Appleseeds Learning Center2019-06-12

"Would not recommend unless straight out of college and looking for experience without need for comparable pay."

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Appleseeds Learning Center full-time

Pros

Location is decent as it is in the heart of downtown Kennesaw with what appeared to be a low traffic area. Potential for certification as RBT, BCaBA, and BCBA if a future in ABA is your goal. Free on site child care for employees. Staff members (aside from leadership) were friendly.

Cons

The staff as a whole did not appear to have an understanding of what autism is. Even though most of the staff has completed RBT training through the center- it was evident that staff members did the motions to complete modules (a handful telling me they left the modules running on their laptop but did not watch), took the test and passed, but did not have a clear understanding of what they were doing. Upon observations, it was clear that staff were never trained on how to treat children with Autism- which would be: with respect. I witnessed staff members outwardly complaining when a child would bite or hit them. Open conversations about which child they would never want to work with- many times these conversations happened with the child in the same room. At first glance the staff appear to love their job and have an advocacy for autism awareness but once you are accustomed to the center, staff members become more comfortable regarding their true feelings around you. Many staff members are unhappy, underpaid, and under appreciated. Many of them do not enjoy the difficult work but are fearful they have no other options. Paychecks were late 90% of the time, being up to a week late sometimes. 40 hour work weeks are not guaranteed, which at $8, $11, and $12 an hour can leave many in financial hardships.

Advice to Management

Perhaps this wasn’t supposed to be the owners goal in life. She would excel in a different position and in a different field. The center growing, even as unethical as it is, is alarming and makes me fearful for the children who go there.

Appleseeds Learning Center2018-11-20

"Needs improvement!"

I have been working at Appleseeds Learning Center part-time

Pros

- The kids are great! - the place is decorated nicely - offer classroom time and incentives for parents

Cons

- lack of training and communication - low pay - do not pay on time - need more trained/educated staff and organization

Appleseeds Learning Center2018-08-15

"Would not recommend this place"

I worked at Appleseeds Learning Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only two pros that I would say about this place are, SOME (not all) of the BCBAs are nice , and the kids are wonderful .

Cons

This job needs a lot of growth in the administration area. The owner and leadership is very immature in the business aspect of the center. The employees have not been paid on time for a few months now; when the paychecks do not get deposited into employees account the administration does not let anyone know , does not apologize , hold no kind of meeting to give a heads up as to what’s going on , it is not mentioned and you are just left wondering as to when you will be paid. There is no communication here. The only communication is via a Facebook group. The owner prefers you to text her instead of communicating face to face . The facility is not clean . The floors remain dirty; the toys are not wiped down after each use . Kids drool, sneeze and cough on the toys and they are not sanitized after. They only “clean “ on fridays and it is still not a good cleaning. The bathrooms are disgusting. The classroom are not preparing the kids for school . A majority of the day the kids in the classroom are watching YouTube or playing ; there is no set “learning “ time. With that being said the kids in the classroom are capable of some learning and structural time. There is not proper training, they let anyone basically work on therapy with the kids . The pay starts very low , typically $8 an hour , when you pass your RBT certification you get a raise to $11. There is a clique between administration and some of the leadership, this leads to a lot of unprofessionalism. I have a fear this company will only be open a few more years if the management doesn’t improve and if they don’t start taking some good advice from the people who are working there. They need to develop a strong team of therapist and they won’t be able to with the low pay.

Advice to Management

My advice would be do not let leadership hang out in the front office with you , it makes it to where no one feels comfortable coming and talking to you about anything . If you would start hiring at a higher rate (say $10 an hour) you will grow a stronger team , you will not have such a high turn over rate with therapist, you will develop a mature team of therapist that have more experience love their job and will stay working for you longer then a few months to a year . Get to know your employees, be friendly to all your employees not just leadership .

Appleseeds Learning Center2018-07-26
  6. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Appleseeds Learning Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Open communication, great team, good opportunities in education advancement

Cons

You will need to be able to take initiative and ask questions yourself

Appleseeds Learning Center2018-03-16

"An absolute disgrace to the autism community"

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Appleseeds Learning Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Those kids are amazing, and getting to work so closely and help with their progress is very rewarding and fun! Some of the staff, the newer members, are very kind!

Cons

The owner is the biggest downside of working here; both ethically and morally, her management falls flat, making for a very sad atmosphere. She and those she hires are usually not fully qualified, as she herself does not obtain the proper education and certifications needed to work in this specific area of the field. I, along with many past staff members, have experienced terrible humiliation at her hands, and if she doesn’t like you, you will be permanently shunned by her and her clique and be prone to daily verbal abuse by the owner herself. It was really tough working there, and I only continued for so long due to the manipulation stemming from the owner. I’m really hoping they have gotten their stuff together and made this company a much better place, for the sake of those incredible children.

Advice to Management

You need to be extremely strong working here, and if you’re at all a pushover, you won’t survive. This company is like high school, and if the owner dislikes you, she will go behind your back and make sure your daily routine is a living hell. If you’re okay working in an environment that runs practices that aren’t necessarily “legal,” this is the place for you!

Appleseeds Learning Center2018-01-04
  8. "More Than Just A Center"

Current Employee - Office Manager

Pros

I have been with Appleseeds since day one. I have loved every minute and wouldn't change any experience, including the hard times. I can say a lot about Appleseeds, but one thing I am extremely proud of is how we always strive to grow and become better. This can be said for both staff and clients. This field is constantly changing, and we want to change with it. Appleseeds is not ok with being an average center. We want to be the best. This means offering trainings, going to seminars, continuing education, and staying up to date on all things autism and other related fiends.

Cons

This job hard. For anyone that spent anytime in this field, you know it consist of long hours, difficult clients, and hard days all around. But at Appleseeds we constantly to try to improve on the difficulties by adding in extra breaks throughout the day, providing staff with trainings to help with sessions, and building exercises to create a team atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Never settle. There are always ways to improve to make the center the best, in all areas. And just keep doing what you're doing! I cannot wait to see where we are 5, 10, 20 years down the road.

Appleseeds Learning Center2017-07-10

"Seems great at first, until..."

Former Employee - BCBA

I worked at Appleseeds Learning Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff are extremely dedicated and truly have the children’s best interests at heart. The families are wonderful and the kids are fun. There are also some great training and continuing education opportunities provided through Relias and the health insurance was excellent. In spite of its flaws, the company does offer a lot of really great services for kids with special needs and their families, such as free date nights and support groups. The owner is also very flexible with time off.

Cons

The atmosphere at first can seem very open, welcoming, and fun, but it can change at the drop of a hat and you will not know why. The owner will claim that she has no tolerance for cliques, but what she really meant was no cliques outside of the one she creates around herself. Favoritism is obvious and rampant and, much like the general atmosphere, can change without warning. The owner establishes inappropriately close friendships with staff and often gossips with them about other employees. These friendships also seem to impact objectivity as the owner takes any perceived slight extremely personally. Rules are applied selectively to certain staff and changed without warning or reason. For example, all staff classified as “Leadership” were allowed to have their phones on them during work hours. I was also part of leadership, but I was one day singled out and told I could no longer have my phone on me. I had never received feedback about inappropriate use of my phone and was not given a reason for this change. I generally used my phone as a timer. Favored staff also had a lot more freedom with how they spent their time during work hours than others. Along with issues with objectivity, there are also some serious ethical concerns. Most of them can probably be traced back to the fact that the owner is not a BCBA and therefore, may not be familiar with them, but the problem is a lot worse when you consider that she insists on removing control over client programming, staff training, etc. from the actual BCBA and taking over these duties herself. Client programming became the sole responsibility of two students pursuing their certifications, which sounds like a great experience for them, except that the BCBA was never permitted to look over the programs before they were disseminated to staff, or provide any meaningful supervision to these students. My job, as the BCBA, seemed to be to just be quiet and sign my name and BCBA number on the appropriate forms so that they could be approved for insurance and the students can rack up supervision hours. Any attempts I made to try to improve quality of care and regain control over the client’s programs was shut down or just completely ignored. Lack of education and training led to other ethical issues. Punishment procedures such as non-exclusionary time-out were used frivolously and without exhausting all reinforcement-based procedures as is considered best practice in the field of ABA. Punishments were also frequently improperly used, such as twenty-minute long time-outs for 4 year-old children, when best practice would max out at 2 minutes. Again, I don’t blame the staff for this. I believe they were doing the best they can while they were literally blocked from adequate training. The owner also regularly accepted sometimes rather extravagant gifts from parents, such as catered lunches and Keurig machines with cups, which is expressedly forbidden by the BACB. Communication was a joke. Everything was very open until, as I mentioned, the switch flipped. Then, communication basically shut off. My text messages were ignored, no matter how important, such as inquiring about the status of a late paycheck (more on that later). Phone calls were screened and not returned and emails were ignored. Basically the only way to get a response from her was to stand in her office and refuse to leave until the conversation was done. Conversations were usually cordial but curt. Paychecks were almost always late and for a while, they frequently bounced. She had a million excuses as to why the paychecks were late, such as issues with the bank or the payroll company. These may have been honest issues, but the situation was never handled professionally. She avoided any and all personal responsibility in the situation and often had no communication whatsoever about it. As mentioned above, attempts to inquire about it were ignored. It got to the point that if I asked if there was any update in paychecks (after they were over a week late), the response I got was “nope,” as she strode past me without even looking at me. A perfect example of the lack of professionalism and maturity occurred when I attempted to get more information about the missing paychecks. I had called the payroll company to see if they had any information, but they were just as unhelpful. All they said was that the owner hadn’t released the money to them yet. If I asked the owner, she said it was the payroll company. When missing paychecks inevitably came up in conversation among staff, I mentioned my conversation with the payroll company and how it seemed like both parties were just throwing each other under the bus. It wasn’t a secret, it just wasn’t productive. The owner had made it very clear by this point that she had no interest in speaking with me, so I didn’t bring it up. Well, apparently it got back to her in the form of “I had called the payroll company and was telling people that the owner didn’t pay them.” How was this handled? Well, she held a meeting with leadership (which included myself), looked right at me, and said the words “yeah, I’m going to call you out. I know you called [payroll company] and I know you’ve been telling people I didn’t give them the money.” I corrected her, explaining what I had actually said, and she proceeded to go off one me, again, right in front of the rest of leadership. I explained again that I had no malintent, apologized if it had caused any distrust in the company, and resisted the urge to roll my eyes as she actually teared up and explained that she was “just trying so hard.” She then explained that if someone has a problem or a question, they should just come to her directly in person or via text, completely missing the irony in her own statement. I felt this was one of the most unprofessional and immature ways to handle anything. If she had taken her own advice, she could have seen it was just a misunderstanding. Also, if she had not basically cut off communication, no one would have to go behind her back to try to get the information to which they are entitled. In short, staff are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated. The owner runs the place like a middle school clique at best and like a cult at worst.

Advice to Management

Your own life would be better if you properly utilized the skills of the people you hire. Also, read the BACB Code of Ethics, then read them again. Give more thought and care to the morale of your staff, ALL of them. Stop trying to make friends with your staff. Take personal responsibility as a boss. Even if a missed paycheck isn’t your fault, you are the boss. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure your staff are paid on time. You should have been communicating CLEARLY, EVERY TIME, to EVERYONE.

Appleseeds Learning Center2017-06-28
  10. "Behavioral Therapist"

Behavior Therapisg in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Appleseeds Learning Center

Pros

• Online training via Relias • Complete access to therapy materials covering the VB-MAPP and ABLLS-R assessment protocols • Ongoing on-the-job supervision, training, and feedback from a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) • Opportunities to advance with continued education and involvement with the organization.

Cons

• Difficult field- days can be long, behaviors can sometimes be difficult. • Small following of people who have given the organization unfair or hateful online reviews.

Advice to Management

Continue in your commitment to care for these children and your employees. This organization has grown a lot in the last year and will continue to do so for years to come.

Appleseeds Learning Center2016-08-20