Arbor Research Collaborative for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Robert Merion

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great staff; great learning environment"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff! Professional and friendly! Very good benefits. Flexible working hours. Everyone is striving to deliver great products!

Cons

I don't see much cons here. Maybe people from different projects should talk with each other more.

Advice to Management

Not much advice. I like it here.

2. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time

Pros

Flexible working schedule for emloyees

Cons

Nothing I can find! Good

"major concern!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some good people, most mean well. Good location down town. Bob is a great leader and is up front with his character and feedback.

Cons

Certain female leaders are too clicky (only talk to their friends)
    Planned events are not conducive to families
    There isn't a balance to hiring ( not ethnically balanced )

Advice to Management

Senior leadership and our board need to protect us employees and our organization from leaders that plan events around serving beverages. I don't participate because im not in college anymore.

4. "Amazing, employee centered environment"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very capable, ethusiastic people who work here, and create a drama-free, friendly place to work. Hours are flexible, and there are a lot of opportunities to study different diseases. Benefits package is very good.

Cons

It's growing rapidly, so the environment is constantly changing. The current space is a little small so it is hard to get a meeting room sometimes.

Advice to Management

Build a building for Arbor only.

5. "Good people passionate about their work"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health (More than a year)

Pros

AR has a lot going for it. The organization is doing well and has opportunities for advancement, but the main advantage is the fantastic office culture. Very few people are there just for the paycheck. You aren't expected to be there 24/7 -- the office is practically empty by 6 pm -- but employees care about the organization's mission and actively work to further it. It is a truly collaborative environment, and its organizational structure reinforces the team mentality without being cultish. Another review here complained about managers not being trained as managers, but I actually felt like promoting from within allowed the managers to understand what needed to be done (as well as pick up slack during the busiest times). My direct manager was one of the best mentors I've had, and I do not think he would have been as effective coming from a pure management background. Perhaps other managers are not as good, but the problem is definitely not universal. Senior leadership was also great. The DOPPS lead PIs are wonderful people who care about you as a person and about the work you are doing. If you've ever worked in an environment where you sit in meetings and watch silently as others take credit for and/or belittle your accomplishments and contributions, you know how deflating and toxic that can be. I never saw that happen here. AR leaders make a conscious effort to acknowledge and thank you in front of your coworkers and collaborators. It makes for a wonderful workplace where you know that others appreciate your efforts. I would absolutely consider working here again if I moved back to the Ann Arbor area.

Cons

The nature of the work makes for fluctuating work demands with considerable extra effort required immediately before proposal deadlines. Some of the external collaborators can be difficult to handle, and the additional burden caused by working with ambivalent or unfocused collaborators is borne almost entirely by the project's analyst. I personally felt some fleeting frustration over this issue, but I imagine it would compound over time; I perceived it to be the main reason for analyst attrition. Because of data security concerns and the desire to quickly hand off projects from one analyst to another, AR can be a bit slow to adopt innovation (see: using SAS for everything, including tasks better handled in R). However, the standardized process helps inexperienced analysts develop and maintain a workflow conducive to reproducible science. The company is also growing somewhat quickly, so the friendly, supportive atmosphere might change in the coming years. (On the other hand, if I had to choose a company that could pull off such a transition, it would be AR.) Overall, there is nothing so bad that it would prevent me from strongly recommending this workplace to friends or family.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Do everything you can to keep the current culture intact as you expand the organization. Manage external collaborations more closely to ensure that analyst time is spent wisely and to prevent endless "fishing expeditions" for collaborators with ill-defined goals. Consider making advancement pathway more widely known.

6. "Excellent benefits package. Very policy oriented orginization."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Great benefits, nice work environment. Friendly staff.

Cons

Very stringent security policies. Move towards more government contracts is detrimental to other projects.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for training or perhaps some tuition reimbursemept.

"Good research, poor management"

Former Employee - Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great interesting research. Lots of intelligent people to work with.

Cons

The vacation time they offer is a trap and dishonest. No one takes all the days offered. Managers have no management training. Poor communication between supervisor and subordinate, so when problems occur the subordinate takes the hit. laid off, fired, etc.

Advice to Management

Train your managers social skills.

8. "You had to be there."

Former Employee - Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Arbor is an awesome family to be a part of and contribute to meaningful work that changes and even saves patient lives.

Cons

Unfortunately, not all companies can be like Arbor and leaving this wonderful family is definitely a very difficult to do.

9. "Working at AR is exciting and interesting."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

1. Employee stipend for parking and transportation; Encouragement and support for using alternate/mass transit.
    2. Very cool workspace. Lots of light. Careful thought put into collaborative space.
    3. Dynamic leadership.

Cons

New employee orientation can be kind of skimpy. There are many acronyms that fly around that are not defined at orientation, so it's hard to grasp the full scope of the projects.

10. "analyst"

Pros

nice colleagues; friend work environment.

Cons

a small company; hard to move up.