Archipelago Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Archipelago Learning full-time

Pros

Great leadership, good communication, good pay, beautiful office space

Cons

Very silo'd departments, put more value in certain brands and didn't care about others, used an internal software system

Advice to Management

Don't place more value on certain brands

2. "This was a great company to work for..."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Archipelago Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management was positive and encouraging best practices to be successful. I worked in a growing territory, and my commission structure was excellent. The team was helpful and collaborative. Benefits are good and flexible scheduling was perfect for my home life.

Cons

The company merged with PLATO and became Edmentum. There is no transparency from leadership. Most of the good managers and team members have left due to unreasonable demands from higher level executives. There is no stability and team meetings were negative and demeaning.

Advice to Management

Listen to your successful sales teams and allow them to be creative. One size does not fit ALL.

3. "Best job I ever had!"

Former Employee - Junior Media Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Media Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Archipelago Learning full-time

Pros

Opportunity to learn and grow! Part of my supervisor's job was to identify areas where I wanted to learn new skills and help make plans to advance in the company. I really felt I like an asset to the company, and that the company was investing in my future. Not a dead end job.

Cons

Arch was bought by PLATO Learning in 2012 and I was one of many employees that were laid off. The two companies formed a new company called Edmentum soon after that. I don't get the impression from my discussions with former co-workers that Edmentum has anything like the fertile creative culture that Archipelago had.

Advice to Management

I don't think PLATO knows how to be the kind of company Archipelago was. They are just more rigid and conservative. Sad.

4. "Overworked, underpaid and underappreciated. Management was weak, so planning wasn't done well, leading to overtime."

Former Employee - Finance in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance in Dallas, TX

I worked at Archipelago Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The small environment was nice, so you could get to know people across the organization. Additionally, there were some very good people there.

Cons

The philosophy is "lean and mean", so there were often not enough resources to get the work done. Additionally, there were some very bad managers present.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees. Provide adequate resources. Don't make the organization so top heavy.

5. "The best job I ever had. Great culture."

Current Employee - Media Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Media Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Archipelago Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start up atmosphere. Flexible schedules. One work at home day per week. Lots of Employee development. Casual attire.

Cons

Sometimes the company moves too fast. Sometimes changes that were being made were not really clear.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter. Company was bought and merged. I'm not familiar with the new management.

"Unorganized Small Public Company That Is All Over the Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Benefits, people you work with

Cons

Management is poor. Employees don't trust the executive leadership. The CEO wants employees to work long hours for little pay. He wants employees to be engaged in their jobs and make suggestions to his open door, but employees don't want to approach him and suggestions aren't received. There is a fake perception of communication to employees with little meetings here and there; it is all the same talk over and over. No one is inspired. The company operations aren't organized. Go back to being a big fish in a little pond (private). The majority of managers have no management experience. No matter how they try to spin it, there are no opportunities here professionally.

Advice to Management

The whole executive leadership needs to be replaced. CEO needs to leave or retire. Very sad how egos and executives can slaughter a company.

"This company undervalues & dehumanizes employees in all of its departments, from Customer Service to Sales."

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

some really great sales people working for the company. This is where the pros end.

Cons

There are probably too many to list. To start:
    --no room for advancement or personal career growth
    --inept management who have no actual sales training
    --inept marketing department who have no actual marketing training
    --once-a-year sales conferences so full of propaganda that it feels like an Amway seminar, but you get to meet the CEO and his wife's diamonds
    --no rhyme or reason to compensation and goal setting
    --most importantly, no department or person to whom concerns can be aired - HR is on the side of the company
    --very little communication, everything in this company is a big secret
    --selling a program that has a lot of errors and is technologically stale
    --sales managers lie to protect themselves and do not share information to their managers out of fear

The job of the sales department is to go out and secure new business by selling a test prep program to a new school in a given territory. However, as time goes on, the more you sell today means the less you have to sell tomorrow. Does this company have an explanation for what happens to your position when you have outsold yourself? Nope.