Ascend Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary Dorris, Ph.D.

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Ascend Analytics full-time

Pros

I couldn't be happier working at Ascend Analytics. Great office atmosphere, emphasis on team work and great guidance from CEO. Hard work and dedication is not only noticed but commended, every employee is valued! Couldn't ask for a better company to work for.

Cons

can work long hours however you can flex your schedule to reflect longer hours worked

Advice to Management

Keep up the great communication

2. "Limited training and unprofessional management"

Current Employee - Intern in Perkasie, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Perkasie, PA

I have been working at Ascend Analytics (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, and energetic team

Cons

Management was not very professional. They made me do menial work and then when I tried to take on additional responsibility and tried working on something outside my comfort zone, rather than provide constructive feedback to assist someone who had limited knowledge of the field, they were disappointed with my work and effectively washed their hand of me.

Advice to Management

When hiring people who dont have the exact skill set required, please provide semi structured training and give people a little bit of time to prove themselves

3. "Analyst"

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time

Pros

The role provides an opportunity to develop key insight into the utility and power industry by working on a range of enterprise resource planning scenarios for renewable energy, O&G and coal.

Cons

Management had trouble communicating day-to-day tasks to employees and providing the resources necessary to complete projects in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

As a small business, management needs to develop an organization structure that spurs communication and collaboration among the team of analysts.

"opportunity to learn and grow in the energy world"

Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO

Pros

Company is growing fast, and has recently been recognized as one of the best energy analytics shops in the business. Lots of work to be done, but CEO is flexible (if work hard on a project, will give flex time).

Cons

Must be motivated to put in your best effort.

Advice to Management

Would be nice if the different departments worked more closely and/or were more interactive.

"Great place to grow"

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time

Pros

Ascend is at the forefront of the energy analytics industry. Their customers face extremely complex issues. More and more, the biggest names in the industry are turning to Ascend to help them find the path forward. Working at Ascend you will be challenged, grow and learn from the thought leaders in the industry. Embrace the opportunity (and have fun) as it doesn’t come along very often.

Cons

You need to be ready for the opportunity. If you are looking for corporate culture where your work is closely defined by a job description then this may not be the place. If you looking for a challenge and great opportunity Ascend is the place.

Advice to Management

Ascend is on the “right” path. Continue to invest in the talented team and the technologies that will help execute the vision.

7. "Fast-paced Learning Environment!"

Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Ascend Analytics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Due to the small nature of the company, employees are required to balance many different projects simultaneously. Consequently, it's a great place to learn about finance, energy, mathematics, and data science. Despite the high workload and fast pace, I find that Ascend is respectful of work/life balance; as long as I'm completing my work, I'm given a large amount flexibility. Overall, Ascend offers a challenging work environment filled with highly motivated and intelligent colleagues.

Cons

My biggest issue with Ascend is it's high turnover rate. Due to the complexity/scalability of Ascend's software services, turnovers greatly increase the workload on other employees, causing some work items to slip through the cracks.

Advice to Management

Encourage and develop company culture/camaraderie to help discourage turnover. I also agree that modular code and code consolidation would reduce the amount of training required for new employees.

"Small but Great!"

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst Intern in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst Intern in Boulder, CO

Pros

I worked in Ascend for 3 months and enjoyed working with small but highly intellectual group who are willing to help. Ascend provided me the opportunity of learning and understanding different aspects of energy market.

Cons

One of the most common cons of small companies is lack of knowledge transfer in a organized way. It results in too much time consumption on basics that is resolvable easily.

Advice to Management

In my opinion, having get-together events like lunches, happy hours, or seminars is essential for Ascend. Small firms need to keep the family-based atmosphere at the highest level in order to be more productive.

"Exemplar of how not to treat people"

Former Employee - Contract Software Developer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Contract Software Developer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get real insight on how to not manage a company, its staff and clients. You will be highly motivated to move on.

Cons

Penny-pinching, unethical, bullying, lying, self-serving, out of date management team. Lack of vision, direction and purpose. CEO is arrogant and a buffoon!

Advice to Management

I would not waste my time giving these idiots advice

"Depressing"

I worked at Ascend Analytics (More than a year)

Pros

Very little to write in this section, other than the fact that you may find time to find a good job that you care about.

Cons

As many people have said, most of the positive reviews are fabricated. Imagine trying to work with a bunch of people who have no vision, who use old-fashioned management principles and outdated technologies for a stagnant industry. Ascend analytics is all of this and a lot more.

You can kill your career very quickly if you work for such a company. Many people have left for greener pastures. I genuinely feel sorry for employees who have stuck around only to realize that they have no where else they could go.

Low pay, lower morale and the lowest when it comes to ethics.

Advice to Management

You know who you are and how you have ruined many careers. Your self-serving attitude isn't doing the company any good.

"Great place to rapidly gain energy industry experience"

Former Employee - Senior Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ascend is a small, but well-established software and consulting company that works with risk management, long-term planning, and various other teams within some of the largest organizations in the energy industry (both the largest IPP and largest vertically-integrated utility in the U.S. are clients). Ascend's software is well-respected and provides a great deal of value to clients, and it was a great opportunity to work with and understand all that goes into portfolio-wide energy risk modeling.

Because of the small size of the company, there is a genuine need for energy analysts to be involved in all aspects of running the business: from software support and maintenance to account/project management and business development. This was a big pro for me, and I think the exposure to all these different roles is a very unique opportunity to be gained by working at Ascend. The caveat here is that you need to want to be involved in various aspects of the business. In my experience, Ascend was not a place where you could simply put your head down and focus only on your own tasks; if you find yourself routinely turning down responsibility or additional work because it's "not your job", then you may find Ascend frustrating. If you can remain flexible, learn independently, and take on a variety of tasks at once, then you may thrive on the opportunities that present themselves to you at Ascend.

Advancement in both salary and responsibility was, in my opinion, quite good. I think that if you work hard and engage with the team, you will have both the ability to advance and to shape the nature of your own career in terms of the focus of your work. I gained a large amount of experience on what I feel was a very compressed timeline. This came at the price of (at times very) hard work, but for me the ability to take on large amounts of responsibility and to learn at a fast pace outweighed the hardships I encountered. Benefits were also reasonably good, and paid time off of almost 4 weeks a year is better than most comparable positions, as far as I'm aware. Location in the heart of downtown Boulder is superb and was a significant perk of working for Ascend.

In general, the people I worked with at Ascend were excellent. The team of which I was a part was very collaborative, and all members were highly-educated, capable, motivated, and always willing to help out if needed.

Overall, my experience at Ascend was a very positive one and I'm happy I began my career there. If you can roll with the punches and weather the storms that come with working for a small company, you'll gain a great deal of experience in a challenging and engaging setting, and you'll be able to significantly contribute to supporting and improving Ascend's products and services.

Cons

As mentioned above, daily tasks and responsibilities can vary widely and, at times, seem scattered. There is almost always more work than can be accomplished with the staff on hand, and so priorities both within and across projects can shift dramatically on a daily basis. I imagine this is not uncommon for a small company, but it can make it difficult to take significant ownership of projects, since resourcing and prioritization are often entirely out of your control.

Software/code management at Ascend was a source of frustration. Because of the custom nature of Ascend's software deployments, many clients operate on distinct codebases with distinct and sometimes incompatible functionality. This makes software support a very manual and labor-intensive process, and requires a significant amount of debugging/trouble-shooting on the part of the energy analysts.

The knowledge required to run the business, especially as it relates to the company's products, is very specialized and is often siloed in individuals within the company. Again, perhaps this is a product of the size and nature of the company, but there was a significant "ripple effect" through the entire team with each turnover in staff.

Advice to Management

Consolidate the codebase. It's a big task indeed, but start somewhere, make a plan, and stick to it. In my opinion this is the single biggest issue that must be resolved in order for the company to continue on its current growth trajectory. Also, focus on proactively sculpting the company culture by planning more regular professional development events and community-building activities (lunch seminars, happy hours, etc.). If you don't actively engage in building this culture, there will be none at all.