Ascend Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Gary Dorris, Ph.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun for serious quants"

I have been working at Ascend Analytics full-time

Pros

If you like serious analytic problems for electric power industry, this is the place to work. I'm solving some of the most complex issues concerning greening of the power grid. My colleagues are great and I'm granted significant freedom.

Cons

The job is geared toward serious quants and pretenders have a hard time. The company seems too persistent with refining its models instead of trying to advance into new areas.

Advice to Management

More rapid progress on some of the infrastructure initiatives.

"Great place for getting experience, horrible management and communication"

Former Employee - Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a great deal at Ascend in my time as an Analyst there both about the energy industry and about technology and software development.

Cons

The management team is terrible. Communication is awful and the sales team is always selling products that aren't ready to go to market resulting in crazy hours and awkward conversations with clients for the services team.

Advice to Management

Hire a people person to manage employees and make them feel engaged. Gary is not a people person.

3. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Ascend Analytics full-time

Pros

I couldn't be happier working at Ascend Analytics. Great office atmosphere, emphasis on team work and great guidance from CEO. Hard work and dedication is not only noticed but commended, every employee is valued! Couldn't ask for a better company to work for.

Cons

can work long hours however you can flex your schedule to reflect longer hours worked

Advice to Management

Keep up the great communication

"Limited training and unprofessional management"

Current Employee - Intern in Perkasie, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Perkasie, PA

I have been working at Ascend Analytics (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, and energetic team

Cons

Management was not very professional. They made me do menial work and then when I tried to take on additional responsibility and tried working on something outside my comfort zone, rather than provide constructive feedback to assist someone who had limited knowledge of the field, they were disappointed with my work and effectively washed their hand of me.

Advice to Management

When hiring people who dont have the exact skill set required, please provide semi structured training and give people a little bit of time to prove themselves

"Analyst"

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time

Pros

The role provides an opportunity to develop key insight into the utility and power industry by working on a range of enterprise resource planning scenarios for renewable energy, O&G and coal.

Cons

Management had trouble communicating day-to-day tasks to employees and providing the resources necessary to complete projects in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

As a small business, management needs to develop an organization structure that spurs communication and collaboration among the team of analysts.

"opportunity to learn and grow in the energy world"

Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO

Pros

Company is growing fast, and has recently been recognized as one of the best energy analytics shops in the business. Lots of work to be done, but CEO is flexible (if work hard on a project, will give flex time).

Cons

Must be motivated to put in your best effort.

Advice to Management

Would be nice if the different departments worked more closely and/or were more interactive.

"Great place to grow"

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time

Pros

Ascend is at the forefront of the energy analytics industry. Their customers face extremely complex issues. More and more, the biggest names in the industry are turning to Ascend to help them find the path forward. Working at Ascend you will be challenged, grow and learn from the thought leaders in the industry. Embrace the opportunity (and have fun) as it doesn’t come along very often.

Cons

You need to be ready for the opportunity. If you are looking for corporate culture where your work is closely defined by a job description then this may not be the place. If you looking for a challenge and great opportunity Ascend is the place.

Advice to Management

Ascend is on the “right” path. Continue to invest in the talented team and the technologies that will help execute the vision.

"Fast-paced Learning Environment!"

Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Ascend Analytics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Due to the small nature of the company, employees are required to balance many different projects simultaneously. Consequently, it's a great place to learn about finance, energy, mathematics, and data science. Despite the high workload and fast pace, I find that Ascend is respectful of work/life balance; as long as I'm completing my work, I'm given a large amount flexibility. Overall, Ascend offers a challenging work environment filled with highly motivated and intelligent colleagues.

Cons

My biggest issue with Ascend is it's high turnover rate. Due to the complexity/scalability of Ascend's software services, turnovers greatly increase the workload on other employees, causing some work items to slip through the cracks.

Advice to Management

Encourage and develop company culture/camaraderie to help discourage turnover. I also agree that modular code and code consolidation would reduce the amount of training required for new employees.

"Exemplar of how not to treat people"

Former Employee - Contract Software Developer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Contract Software Developer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Ascend Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get real insight on how to not manage a company, its staff and clients. You will be highly motivated to move on.

Cons

Penny-pinching, unethical, bullying, lying, self-serving, out of date management team. Lack of vision, direction and purpose. CEO is arrogant and a buffoon!

Advice to Management

I would not waste my time giving these idiots advice

"Small but Great!"

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst Intern in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst Intern in Boulder, CO

Pros

I worked in Ascend for 3 months and enjoyed working with small but highly intellectual group who are willing to help. Ascend provided me the opportunity of learning and understanding different aspects of energy market.

Cons

One of the most common cons of small companies is lack of knowledge transfer in a organized way. It results in too much time consumption on basics that is resolvable easily.

Advice to Management

In my opinion, having get-together events like lunches, happy hours, or seminars is essential for Ascend. Small firms need to keep the family-based atmosphere at the highest level in order to be more productive.