Ascend Performance Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ascend Performance Materials President and CEO Phil McDivitt
Phil McDivitt

Pros
  • Good company, good pay for most (in 7 reviews)

• Very good people to work with at engineer and first level supervisors (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Top leaders do not care about work life balance which is ironic because they preach it all the time (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management cares nothing about employees (in 9 reviews)

"Zero Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Technician in Chocolate Bayou, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in Chocolate Bayou, TX

I worked at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with daily " boots on the ground" people per say are amazing. You spend so much time out there working endless overtime due to poorly run processes and and general RTF attitude that you cant help but to become close. Ascends workers were far more that friends they were family.

Cons

After the Finacial company took over you could see the huge difference. Everything no matter how critical the process is treated in a run it until completely dies then lets rush and spend excessive amounts of money to fix it fast instead of just planning accordingly and actually taking the downtime to properly fix things.

Advice to Management

Let go of the "The there are a 1000 people outside the gate ready to take your job" attitude. A lot of us dedicated and sacrificed all out ourselves to support those unit. You need to humanize and treat people with the respect they deserve doing that kind of work in those kind of elements. Oh and PURGE out your entire HR department not one person in that plant feels comfortable communicating with such closed minded hypocrites.

2. "We have a dream"

Current Employee - Business Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A place where we a few of us (we're only about 2,000) have dream to be relevant to our customers and in our communities. We are trying to live that dream everyday we come to practice our profession. We solve issues, create new solutions, and have a few laughs, sometimes at ourselves.
    I've been here for almost 5y and this is as good a time to be a part of our story as it has ever been. Uniquely advantaged industry environment, new management that listens more than it tells, and intense focus on employee growth - all point to a positive trend for the future.

Cons

We're ASCEND - and not GE, or HONEYWELL, or BASF.
    Our story is yet to be told, and we're building our brand everyday. Tough place if you're relying on the halo of a big brand to make the sale, or established processes and systems to troubleshoot production issues. This place needs immense inter-personnel skill to collaborate, influence, and get things done. You also need the individual creativity and motivation to make a difference.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, and empower the teams to deliver! We have a plan and we can do it!

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Process Technology Intern in Decatur, AL
    Former Employee - Process Technology Intern in Decatur, AL

I worked at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was nice
    Helped me learn
    Was not a super stressful place to work

Cons

Most of the equipment was old, and you could tell that there was not a ton of cutting edge technology there

"Great Pay, Standard Benefits, Terrible Leadership"

Current Employee - Engineer in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The worker bees are generally good people. The pay is above average for the area. The benefits are solid and on par with other jobs I have had. Look for a job here if you want a raise.

Cons

A lot of people from the old guard have resolved themselves to apathy and excuse-making. Middle management is totally disconnected. Upper management either likes to fly at 30,000 feet or micromanage, there is no middle ground currently. Big organizational changes are likely to cause a coup d'état. Don't look for a job here if you want a career.

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding finger-pointing and excuse-making. Engage your work groups and hold people accountable. Be more transparent about big changes and less cloak and dagger.

5. "Reliability Engineer"

Former Employee - Reliability Engineer in Chocolate Bayou, TX
    Former Employee - Reliability Engineer in Chocolate Bayou, TX

I worked at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good people to work with at engineer and first level supervisors.

Cons

Management wanted improved equipment reliability but was reluctant to fund all the necessary upgrades.

Advice to Management

Support your engineering staff to make the units onstream time to improve.

6. "Toss up"

Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay & benefits. Coworkers are like family due to spending so much time together

Cons

New Managemt style takes micromanaging to a whole new level.

"Great people, horrible upper management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The operators, technicians, mechanics, and engineers are almost all excellent people to work with. You can really form some good friendships with your coworkers.

Cons

Upper management cares nothing about employees. There is zero attention paid to employee morale. The only thing they care about is making the numbers and putting more money in their pockets, regardless of how hard the people below them work. There is no work-life balance. And as long as this company continues to be owned by a private equity firm and the same, stubborn people in upper management, nothing will change.

Advice to Management

You have got to start treating your employees with some dignity and respect.

"What used to be a great job is now a joke!"

Current Employee - Process Operator in Alvin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Alvin, TX

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials (More than 8 years)

Pros

Conveniently located from Alvin, pay is in the middle of the scale for the location,operators are like family,the plant has a fairly good safety record

Cons

Management is running the place in the ground,benefits are sub-par, the plant needs a union to set them straight, Human Resources is a complete joke.

Advice to Management

Quit!

"High School Mentality"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Alvin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Alvin, TX

Pros

Great pay and Flexible hours

Cons

The Technology department employees are close minded bullies. High school mentality and outright harassment are prominent. No education or experience required to hold positions of responsibility. Processes and results are not reliable and I have personally witnesses employees falsifying data. Dangerous chemicals and little regard for safety measures such as using PPE are taken into account.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to what is actually going on. Lip service is not productive. Are the results that you are asking for being delivered?

"Does not care about employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and gym are good.

Cons

High turnover, low morale, poor management, high stress environment.

Advice to Management

Would not help