Ascend Performance Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Ascend Performance Materials President and CEO Phil McDivitt
Phil McDivitt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Field level and long time employees are mostly great, pay and benefits are good, interesting work in some respects (in 7 reviews)

• Good company, good pay for most (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance not always the best (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management cares nothing about employees (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. You feel respected as an engineer and have the opportunity to succeed to your ability. Excellent recognition of work and a culture unlike anywhere else I have worked before.

Cons

Management can be confusing or hard to sway. Capital is stingy at times.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Ask for recommendations. Don't let good employees go.

2. "Great work place"

I worked at Ascend Performance Materials full-time

Pros

Great people to work for. Great hours.

Cons

Swinging shifts, lack of help at times.

Advice to Management

They do an awesome job!

3. "Engineer"

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family environment and focus on team

Cons

Work life balance not always the best

4. "Inventory Replenishment Coordinator"

I worked at Ascend Performance Materials full-time

Pros

The company has great benefits. 401K-8% match, health benefits.

Cons

The company has a high stress atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Be more for the people.

5. "Environmental Engineer"

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time

Pros

There are a lot of people that mentor newer employees

Cons

Very conservative, HR is hard to deal with

6. "Co-op 1 Mechanical Engineer"

I worked at Ascend Performance Materials full-time

Pros

My mentor was very involved with keeping me busy and challenged during my rotation

Cons

I feel that not all co-ops during my rotation received favorable mentors. It's likely a hit or miss

7. "Rail Logistics Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, AL

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, good co-workers, salary fair,

Cons

Poor work/life balance, too much static between plant sites, poor communication lines.

8. "Great place to work at"

I have been working at Ascend Performance Materials full-time

Pros

Pay training work hours fun

Cons

Nothing is bad about this job

"Downhill fast, glad I bailed"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician

I worked at Ascend Performance Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hourly hands and the old timers are great, everyone is friendly and try to look out for one another, unfortunately unit management and HR doesn't want people happy at work anymore, glad I'm gone, the first 6 years were great the last 4 terrible. Cafeteria was pretty good, especially breakfast.

Cons

1. Hope to God you don't get seriously sick, we had people undergoing chemotherapy, having to drag themselves to work, to keep health insurance, Ascend could care less, even though there are plenty of known carcinogens in the plant, the pathetic sick leave and disability policy forces people to do this.

2. The plant is a junk rust bucket, safety hazard. Ascend management is the biggest bunch of tight wads on Earth. They don't care, it's not them out there working with junk. When equipment fails, it's not them that's going to get exposed to chemicals.

3. Benefits really aren't all that great, well below industry standard when it comes to bonus(lucky to get 2%), 401 match(.60 on the dollar up to 8%), sick leave (2% on a rolling calendar),ERT bonus is nothing but a slap in the face embarrassment ($500/yr before taxes)

4. Unit managers are out of control, one has already been sent to anger management, and was still allowed to keep his job, the other is a known pshycopath around​ the plant. How people like this get hired and actually get to keep a job is beyond comprehension. If an "avg"Joe worker behaved like these clowns do, they would be fired on the spot, if not thrown in jail. I witnessed one in particular throw numerous angry, bordering on violent temper tantrums over more or less nothing. I'm talking so mad he was shaking and couldn't talk because his teeth were chattering. Does that sound like someone you would want to work with or for? This type of behavior would occur on just about a weekly basis. This is probably the single biggest problem at this plant, out of control unit managers, that care zero about employee safety, moral, plant procedure or respect. They are do as I say not as I do type of managers. They think the safety rules don't apply to them and plant procedure doesn't either. They routinely break both of them.

Advice to Management

1. Take a look at your sick leave and disability policy. No one should have to come out and work graveyards while going through chemotherapy. They should be home resting, or with their family. That is about as low as low can go. There has to be some way to take care of these people.

2. Spend a little money on your units, It's going to end up getting someone hurt or killed if the situation isn't corrected.

3. The Houston ship channel, Texas City, and Freeport are right down the road, take a look at your benefits and compare them to other comparable facilities. This means other full size plants and refineries, not small batch plants, warehouses etc. Ascend is well below industry standard,and a little would go a long way. No one realistically expects to get the pension back. Give your ERT members a little incentive, these people's risk is inherently higher if something was to go wrong and 500 bucks which ends up being barely 300 a year is almost an insult. Especially when other plants in the company give their ERT more.

4. Do something about your out of control unit managers, one in particular. No one wants to, or should have to work in a hostile work environment, as a matter of fact employees have the right to work in an environment free of hostility. When I say hostile, this is no exaggeration. You have already lost good hands that wanted to make a career out here, their experience is irreplaceable.

5. If you are really interested in what's going on in the units, go down and talk to some of the hourly people, but make sure that they understand that everything is confidential and encourage them to tell the truth. Pick these people randomly. If you allow unit management to select people, they are going to give you people that are new, on steps, or afraid to speak up.

"Operator"

Pros

Potential for higher income with many hours available to work.

Cons

Horrible shift rotation. Dirty work environment. Exposed to many elements year around. Lack of commitment from management to improve work conditions.