Awana Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Awana CEO Valerie Bell
Valerie Bell

"Good mission"

I have been working at Awana full-time

Pros

The core of Awana is to reach kids with the gospel and train them in lifelong discipleship. Working at a company that has that mission is an incredible blessing. Recognizing that what we do can impact kids across the world is humbling. Awana has given me an opportunity to use my talents and abilities in a unique way. The facilities are nice and it is a workplace that encourages friendships.

Cons

Our offices are often moved and it's hard to keep up with where people are located.

Awana2017-09-30

"Passionate Organization"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Awana part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Vision based on faith, driven by the gospel

Cons

Headquarters was highly disconnected from their field staff and missionaries.

Awana2019-08-10

"Senior Leadership is Lacking"

I worked at Awana full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Godly mission Passionate work force Nice office building Generous paid time off benefits

Cons

In recent years, scores of Awana employees have been shown the door – it was the quickest way to cut costs in order to meet each year’s budget. There are many former employees who love the ministry’s mission but have been deeply hurt by its management. Awana suffers from poor senior leadership. Today that leadership has reached a new low. A mass mailing under the CEO’s signature went out to those Awana donors... whose giving has lapsed. The mailing list included former employees. My letter arrived today. It requests that I consider “returning to our family of Awana donors with another special investment.” In other words, while Awana didn’t value the work of their former employees – many who conceivably are struggling financially due to no job – Awana does still value their checkbooks. It’s mind-boggling to think that someone in leadership at Awana thought sending this letter out was a good idea. Buyer beware to those who are considering employment here.

Awana2019-06-04

"Run if you are a woman leader"

I worked at Awana full-time

Pros

Beautiful ministry mission and vision.

Cons

Wisdom of women leaders is not respected or valued. Look at the organization chart and see who gets promotions. Says a lot. Hasn't changed in decades. Women have to work too hard to be heard and contribute their best gifts. They are patronized by senior-level, male leaders - current VPs included. Women's leadership gifts are squelched/ignored. Strong, assertive women, who have differing perspectives, are seen as... trouble makers. Eventually these talented women are either fired, counseled out, laid off, quit, or hang on and not in a position to fully contribute their gifts . . . . tragic, actually.

Advice to Management

Practice the Biblical values you preach.

Awana2019-05-30

"Incredibly bad leadership!"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Awana full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Bible Memory, they are not a discipleship ministry

Cons

They have nasty, manipulative senior leaders that have hurt many, many people

Advice to Management

Save Awana by leaving now

Awana2019-05-14

"Strong Mission and Great Growth opportunities"

I worked at Awana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awana has an almost 70 year history of reaching kids with the gospel and is on mission to continue this work, despite the changing needs of the church, kids, and non profit operations. The executive leaders have made continual shifts to move closer to their mission and have microfocus on what the organization does best. Their heart to truly serve their partners and to make the culture changes needed to serve their... people is evident. The organization is generous in their base salaries, PTO and workplace flexibility, including vacation time in addition to the base average 2 weeks between Christmas and new year’s and opportunities to work from home, remotely and with flexibility to meet employee needs. There are opportunities for growth internally and crossfunctional training, as well as great resources for investing in top class technology to grow the organization. There are incredible opportunities to be connected to ministry work across the US and internationally, with access to some of the most incredible ministry leaders and thought leaders globally. Despite other reviews claiming cronyism, leadership has specifically hired experts in the field to address the critical issues the organization has faced. As an employee who was closer to the leadership circle, cronyism is an unfounded accusation.

Cons

Because of the shifts needed to move the organization to stay relevant, afloat and financially stable, there have been multiple reductions in force over the past few years. However, these shifts have been necessary to keep the organization away from mission drift or closed doors like many evangelical legacy organizations have been forced to do.

Advice to Management

Continue to prioritize the health of the organization and of your people.

Awana2019-01-09

"Missionary"

I have been working at Awana full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Awana looks good on the outside

Cons

Best Work Place Survey gave them a Toxic grade. Management shuffle of 2016 nearly killed the entire program from the inside out.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring educated wannabe CEO replacements

Awana2018-09-24

"same song, different verse"

I worked at Awana full-time

Pros

great facilities, international outreach, team work structure

Cons

Cronyism, nepotism, unethical human resource practices and manipulation, unqualified leadership, good-ole-boy mentality and network, lack of accountability with executive leadership, long-term board member chosen as new CEO in the midst of these types of problematic dysfunction illustrates each of the cons from this and all reviews.

Advice to Management

Stop. Own and apologize for your decades long practice of self-interest, cronyism driven inadequate leadership which has caused more damage than is measurable. Step up with integrity and clean house at the top. End the cronyism and the nepotism. Do your best to preserve and build on the good that has been accomplished before it's too late.

Awana2018-09-18

"Caution all who enter! Caution to those who are endeared to Awana brand."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL

I have been working at Awana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people. Great mission. Nice facilities

Cons

Cronyism is rampant. Ignorant, wasteful and arrogant leadership take credit and blame shift. Executive leadership is male dominant. Weak HR presence. Culture morale is low. Layoffs 3 years in a row. Deep gouges into Awana club brand. Curriculum resources will deteriorate as as organization shifts focus to global.

Advice to Management

Nurture staff. Focus to serve and nurture us churches. Stop spending frivolously

Awana2018-08-15

"Director"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Awana full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a 65 year old ministry that is doing really hard things. We just made some significant changes to our structure. This new structure finally makes sense. It’s about time we did something brave and position this ministry for the future. Our CEO likes to talk about our vision for the year 2050. For the first time I feel like we actually mean it. These moves will help us serve churches and donors much better... and reach more children.

Cons

There is a handful of people with attitude problems. They like to complain a lot. I really don’t get it. We have an open and transparent culture here now (I worked here a few years ago when we didn’t - Big difference!) so if you have a problem, just bring it up to coworkers and managers. I truly believe our leadership wants to solve the problems. I work closely with a couple of the leaders, and I’ve seen their... character and competence he up closely. I believe in where we are going. The people with attitudes need to join everyone else and work constructively through our problems and stop the gossip and complaining - or go work somewhere else where you don’t feel so miserable.

Advice to Management

Why do you move so slowly? I like our direction, but t seems like Awana moves at a snails pace. Keep up the transparency. Keep up the strategic planning that is helping us all work together for a common goal. I have felt the silos come down over the last year and we are so much better. I would also encourage you to stop tolerating the people who roll their eyes and complain and gossip and who are not on board... with the direction. It’s not healthy for us to tolerate that, and I think our leadership needs to take that more seriously. There are still a few people who are being toxic for the ministry. What we do is too important for that.

Awana2018-05-17