BCRA Design Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Architect"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at BCRA Design full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, they try hard to take into consideration personal life. Staff seems very highly engaged, especially over the last 4-5 years. Very different leadership approach than before. Much more transparency. HR is amazingly, very accessible, helps leadership stay connected to needs of staff. They have done a very good job of hiring young, diverse talent. Culture is very evident, many good ways to plug in, people very very connected through what they call Skittle pods, everyone belongs to a pod and we do activities as a pod, to get to know each other better. Emphasis on serving our communities.

Cons

More of an industry challenge, finding good experienced staff with 8-10 years of experience. They are very open about still developing their core purposes in the work they do.

Advice to Management

Keep hanging in there with the new direction

Nov 20, 2017 – Director of Staff Resources

Thank you for the encouragement! (And the kind words) You (and everyone here) make a difference at BCRA and we are thankful for you.

2. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Associate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at BCRA Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BCRA provides a great fast pace work environment with while also try to provide employees with a work - life balance. I have worked at BCRA for 3 years and really value the opportunities I have had to work on a variety of project types serving both the private and public sector, the emphasis and action taken to establish a collaborative environment from management down, and the opportunity to work alongside professionals in other design disciplines within the office. Other pros are a flexible work schedule, competitive benefits, offices in Seattle and Tacoma, and bonuses are given quarterly.

Cons

I don't have much to complain about.

Advice to Management

Develop a stronger mentorship program for staff with little professional experience and interns.

3. "Great collabrative team envirnoment!"

Pros

Supportive and collaborative team members who enjoy working together and design creative environments.

Cons

Wanting to grow but are not finding the key individuals to fill those positions.

4. "Great team to work for!"

Pros

Great team of talented designers! Both offices are centrally located and actively involved in the design community. Individual growth and career goals are respected and encouraged. Great project variety!

Cons

At this time, it is difficult to come up with a single con.

5. "A great corporate family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at BCRA Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Terrific Administrative support team focused on anticipating staff needs and proactively working to address them. Each request is addressed with enthusiasm and good cheer. HR's open door policy and accessibility makes it easy to sit down and have a quick chat so that any questions or concerns can be discussed early.

Multidisciplinary firm serving several different markets means that you have the opportunity to learn a lot and be a part of growing the firm. As the firm continues to expand, there are a lot of interesting ways in which employees can contribute. The executives respect ambition and don't stifle dissent. No dictators here. From a professional development standpoint, it's a great place to work.

The firm also has a strong respect for work/life balance and personal well-being. A very family-friendly firm. Making the company a great place to work is one their corporate goals, and they are doing a great job.

Cons

No firm is perfect, but this has been a terrific fit for me. With experience from large design firms, this was a great move. I've heard a few people offer some complaints here and there, but on balance it's less than what I've heard at previous jobs.

Jul 7, 2016 – Director of Staff Resources

Thank you for the thorough review! We appreciate the ability to serve several markets and offer several services/disciplines to our clients. Making it fun and fit well with your personal life makes... More

6. "Great Company!"

Pros

Great people to work for. Has been a positive experience since being hired. People here enjoy listening to your ideas and working together to create the best end product possible.

Cons

Not much to complain about

Feb 11, 2016 – Director of Staff Resources

Thank you for your comments! As you know, we value "Designing Together" - sure glad you do too!

7. "21st and Pacific"

I have been working at BCRA Design full-time

Pros

Good company culture, good values, and great people.

Cons

No clear path to advancement.

Advice to Management

Need better health plan... Insurance deductible still very high.

8. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Tacoma, WA

Pros

Family feel in the environment. Great co-workers.

Cons

Market ups and downs often

9. "Overall, this firm is the entire package. A family to share my daylight hours with learning and growing in this industry"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Tacoma, WA

Pros

I love the culture at BCRA. It is a positive and happy place to work. The executives and admin work hard to keep everyone informed of the changes that occur. We have staff meetings once a month and they are fun and informative. BCRA has a very healthy approach to work/ life balance and treats us very much like the professionals that we are! Growth is definitely encouraged and assisted by training sessions. There is constant work on evolving the firms standards and processes to make a very efficient company. Basic attitude all around is, “there is always room for improvement” but it does not feel like a burden as you are learning the ropes.

Cons

Seattle office location temperature can get cold.

10. "Small but Cozy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at BCRA Design part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, great HR. The area in Tacoma is fun, I loved walking around and driving around for lunch. Lunch n' Learns were great, too. Great place to learn.

Cons

Sometimes issues with budget/lay offs. Hours can be up and down for part time workers.

Feb 24, 2015 – Webmaster

We understand these sentiments. It is unfortunate that hours may vary for some part time employees. As common in our industry, work schedules can be project based. None the less, we take pride that... More