BOXFiSH Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2021

3.9
Pros
  • "Control your own schedule - easy and fun curriculum - good pay - wide variety of classes - promotes good interaction with students(in 8 reviews)

• "Easy to use platform, pay on time and helpful staff(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "their lack of communication isn't worth waiting the time it takes to get the worthless answers they give(in 3 reviews)

• "The biggest problem with this company is that they have two weeks to process pay and they often do not pay on time(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

This was a Super company

Mar 28, 2021 - Tutor in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everything, the model for tomorrow ESL learning in China.

Cons

This was a super company. Went out of business in November.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Employee

tutor

Nov 10, 2020 - English Tutor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

good place to work for. Very flexible

Cons

There aren't many cons for working there

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

They get MOST things right

Apr 21, 2019 - Online ESL Teacher in Albany, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Complete freedom. I have heard HORROR stories from people working with other companies. Stories of having to teach with a bucket next to them in case they had to puke because there are only so many days you can take off in a year. Well, with boxfish you simply log in when you want to teach and leave when you're done. They don't promise a certain number of classes and you don't promise a certain number of hours. It works both ways and I enjoy it. The pay is quite decent. If you get a busy evening, you can expect to make around 15$ an hour. I have heard of teachers getting even more, but I know the opposite is also true, so I'll go with my personal average of about 15/hour. The students. Sure you get the occasional kid whose parents do everything for them, but most of the students are extremely smart and hard working. It's quite inspiring to say the truth.

Cons

They do micromanage a lot, and add new requirements fairly frequently. Since I started working there they have added the following requirements: - TEFL certification - Stand/Tripod for device - Poster in the background I can only assume that they follow their competitors. Another Con is that the "support" team is not always very fast to answer my questions. I've often had to wait an entire day to have a question answered. To their credit, they always do provide an answer and often apologize for their tardiness.

3 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

We thank you for this review. We are glad to know that you enjoy teaching on our platform and we are sure that our students also love taking classes with you. We will continue to work on our teacher support service to make sure that teachers get answers promptly and accurately.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company, good job, early hours.

Mar 29, 2019 - English Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff is sportive and answers messages withing 24 hours. The classes themselves are fun and easy to teach. It's a rewarding job, I love seeing students improve and developing relationships with them.

Cons

Classes are offered in the evening Beijin time. This means you have to wake up EARLY to teach. There was one point when I lived in California I was waking up at 2am to teach. You do choose your own schedule- but classes are only offered early mornings, or Friday&Saturday night. Going to bed at 7pm in order to wake up and teach / working Friday and Saturday nights make it hard to have a social life.

2 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to write down your experience working with BOXFiSH. If your schedule does not allow for classes during Chinese evenings, you can consider teaching during mornings and afternoons on weekends here in China.

5. 5.0

I appreciate BOXFiSH

Apr 13, 2019 - Tutor in Barnhart, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love the students and their parents. Love the app. Love the pay. Love the portability of the app. Love visiting with the BOXFiSHers when in BeiJing.

Cons

The glassdoor says I need five words here.........but I have no cons.

1 person found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your very nice review. We will always do our best to make sure our clients and employees are all satisfied with our platform.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

ESL English Teacher

Jan 2, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love the students! Management is great

Cons

I don't have any Cons

2 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

ESL Tutor

May 7, 2018 - ESL Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Choose your own available times. Work from home. No laptop necessary. Just a mobile device. No elaborate teaching props needed. The lessons are engaging enough with maybe a few small items to further the lessons but not mandatory. It is a great job for a stay at home Mum. It would also suit students and retirees. I have been with BOXFiSH since August 2016. In the beginning it was slow for bookings but as I became more known and widened my available times they started to increase. I have been able to fill all of my time slots by the third month. I am quite comfortable with how things flow at BOXFiSH now.

Cons

One negative would be the cultural difference and sometimes communication with staff can be a little bit challenging. Some speak better English than others. But I find just being patient and sometimes rewording a question helps. Payment is only once a month. Working for an overseas company made me nervous at first. But it has all worked out very well. Class numbers are slow to start but increase when you make yourself more available.

7 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your review. We are always striving to improve and will work hard to improve our communication platforms. We are very happy to hear you enjoy teaching on the platform and are enjoying the fun, interactive, and engaging element of being a BOXFiSH tutor.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good perspective, bad structure

Dec 5, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

people are relatively friendly, and willing to help you

Cons

didn't really have a clear structure,

1 person found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review! Here at BOXFiSH, we always strive to improve and provide our students and teachers with the best English learning environment. We are constantly working to get more students so all our teachers can have full schedules! Regarding your comment on structure, if you have any suggestions, feel free to e-mail them to us at teachingaffairs@boxfish.cn Thanks again

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Easy stress-free way to make cash on the side

Apr 10, 2018 - Part-time Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-a relaxed job -work from home -energizing environment (teaching children) -no year long contracts, obligations -easy to re-schedule and ask off for work -good money for not even having to drive to work!

Cons

-staff can sometimes be hard to communicate with (their first language isn't English) -have to download more than one app for the job

6 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

We are very happy to hear you enjoy teaching on the platform and are enjoying the fun, interactive, and engaging element of being a BOXFiSH tutor. We have greatly improved the teacher and staff support system and communication will always be top priority. BOXFiSH

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic company to work for!

Apr 11, 2018 - English Tutor in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Make your own schedule -Fantastic pay($22 an hour) -Work anywhere in the world -Work on your smartphone or tablet -Full schedule for hardworking tutors -Relaxed work environment -No contracts or obligations -Flexible with schedule adjustments

Cons

-Communicating with BF office staff can sometimes be difficult

8 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Manager

We are very happy to hear you enjoy teaching on the platform and are enjoying the fun, interactive, and engaging element of being a BOXFiSH tutor. BOXFiSH

Viewing 1 - 10 of 70 Reviews