BPS Bioscience Reviews | Glassdoor

BPS Bioscience Reviews

Updated January 13, 2017

4.3
CEO

1. "Great company to grow in, amazing people"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BPS Bioscience full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came to BPS for my first job after my bachelor's. My supervisors have dedicated a lot of time into training me. They have high expectations but are patient and reasonable. Since it is a small company most people have several job functions, so you end up getting a lot of experience with different lab techniques. I have learned more laboratory techniques in 5 months working here than I did in two years as an undergraduate researcher, and I am still being trained for new roles.

Employees are granted a lot of independence here. As long as your work gets done you are free to structure your time as you please. The people here are wonderful and I consider many of them to be close friends. People often bring homemade banana bread or other treats. It really adds a lot to your day to work with such a fun group of people.

The company is growing rapidly and provides quarterly bonuses in addition to your salary, based on the company's performance and your own efforts. This provides a great incentive to succeed. Employees are encouraged to be creative and come up with new ideas for future products and services. I have introduced my own ideas and found management very receptive.

Cons

With so much independence it can be easy for your research problems to go unnoticed. Senior level scientists are often busier than I am and expect that I figure things out on my own after the initial training. I have had several in-house projects extend weeks after they should have been completed with little input from my superiors. If you need help on something you have to seek it out, otherwise they expect that you are hitting your deadlines without problem.

"Happy Here"

I have been working at BPS Bioscience full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company with growth opportunity for those who prove themselves and are willing to contribute. Will wear multiple hats, but with minimal pressure and stress. Great place for people who enjoy work-life balance. Very flexible.

Cons

Will deal with small company growing pains of expanding and implementing systematic procedures. Ok as long as you are good at setting goals for yourself and following through.

Advice to Management

Can set more goals and consistent protocols. Different for each department, fair/good overall depending on the team and individual efforts to contribute.

"Small Company, Big Opportunities"

I have been working at BPS Bioscience full-time

Pros

I've worked a lot of jobs in a variety of industries, but BPS is in a different league. Even in an introductory position, upper management has always taken my suggestions and concerns seriously. People here are friendly and it's a good environment to work in. There are company lunches and breakfasts every week and vacation time is good.

At BPS, I'm free to be independent during the work day without people breathing down my neck to make sure things get done. If you're self motivated and a hard worker, you can thrive. No job is perfect, but I've been very content.

Cons

Since it's a small company, you often fill a variety of roles. Whatever your title may be, you'll end up having to be flexible. You learn a lot, but if you only want to do one thing, it may not be a great fit.

Advice to Management

I think we should have more company outings and team building activities. Nothing too crazy, maybe just a BPS Beach day once a year.

5. "Research Associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at BPS Bioscience full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company feel, can be very close to co-workers. Very research-like environment.

Cons

Little to no communication between superiors and direct reports. The company is poorly managed and RAs/Sr. RAs are almost always micromanaged. Distrust is rampant amongst coworkers and handling situations are completely unprofessional.

Terrible place to learn anything and mostly a dead end job for people seeking to grow their careers. Good place for entry level workers to gain some experience for a year or two, and then move on. From what I know, ~90% of employees are just there for the paycheck.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, communicate and plan efficiently. Do not dismiss your employees. Continue on the path you are on and all you will maintain are people who perform at "just enough" to receive a paycheck.