Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

Quentin Baker

1. "CAD operator"

Former Employee - CAD Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - CAD Technician in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

some micromenegement from sertain engineers

2. "Consultant like"

Former Employee - Project Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company has competitive pay
    - The medical insurance is the best insurance I've had
    - Innovative. Use of new technology is awarded
    - It is an ESOP company

Cons

- Options for professional development are very limited
    - There seems to be a feeling of preferential treatment towards individuals that belong to a specific group of people who are usually young, single, and who enjoy the night life environment
    - It is an ESOP company
    - Expected to work at home often

3. "Student Co-Op"

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Houston office is a great place to have Co-Op. Really good people that help you to develop skills you will use later on in your career. Flexible hours (Houston Office).

Cons

Co-Op students work full-time during 8 months which means that you will loose a semester at school.

Advice to Management

Look to introduce part-time internships. Although the Co-Op program is not bad at all, many University students are not willing to take one semester off school, specially when they are about to graduate.

"Project Consultant"

Current Employee - Project Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, competitive pay, excellent health benefits

Cons

Small company. Hard to develop your career. Opportunities to work in other activities besides Facility Siting Studies and Quantitative Risk assessments are very small

"It has been a good fit for me."

Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Challenging work and pace. Staff are smart and driven. Interesting projects and the people I work with seem to like their jobs and the work. Very well respected technically and that shows in customer relationships and the work you get to do.

Cons

Smallish company and they are trying to handle some areas like training more consistently. You have to be willing to identify your path of interest and then initiate discussion and action to get there. The plus side is I have experienced a lot of flexibility once I helped define the direction I was interested in.

Advice to Management

Tell us more about how the company is doing.

"Not great, but not terrible"

Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

1. They treat employees pretty well...in Houston.
    2. In the past the bonus has been pretty good, but they're working on winding that down and bumping up salaries a bit, which I view as a good thing.
    3. The salaries are now becoming decent.

Cons

1. Because it's such a small company, there's no room for advancement. What you get hired to do, you'll do until you leave.
    2. Senior management tends to make poor business decisions, like opening offices in locations that are ridiculous.
    3. Senior management is waaaaay too "hush, hush" about everything. For such a small company there is a surprising lack of transparency.
    4. Benefits seem to be getting slashed.

Advice to Management

Close your remote offices. And stop being needlessly secretive about everything.

"Horrible pay for civil engineers"

Current Employee - Project I Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project I Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Great work environment
    2) Work life balance

Cons

1) Very low salaries for civil

8. "Not sure this is the right fit for me."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Stable company, good benefits. Growing company but it is a very painful process.

Cons

people seem unhappy in thier jobs. A lot of the managers have been here for 10+ years and not really sure what they do. Work life balance is not what they sell you in the interview, neither is the bonuses at the end of the year. A lot of type A personalities that clash. Going through major growing pains, a lot of the management is afraid of change and not accepting to making the changes needed.

Advice to Management

Doing things to help the moral of the company. Your people are your greatest asset.

"Good place to work if you aren't Admin"

Current Employee - In Administrative Section in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - In Administrative Section in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The overall culture of the company is nice. The CEO arrives before most employees and his door is always open. Bonus is nice and so are the people. The company is also pretty transparent with it's employees which is great.

Cons

If you aren't an engineer, you aren't valued. All admin staff from accounting, clerical, contracting, and HR are just overhead and you feel that. They definitely don't want to pay you overtime if you work it. Also, if you are in one of these admin positions, there is no room to grow or advance. HR is unhelpful. Salary could definitely be better.

Advice to Management

None

"The job offers really interesting projects to work on but does not provide the most clear paths for advancement"

Current Employee - Project I Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project I Consultant in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great staff to work with - very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. Very u nique position that offers many interesting challenging projects to be apart of. Great senior staff to mentor younger engineers.

Cons

Does not provide very much guidance for advancing your career within the company. Promotions are not even among sections of the company.

Advice to Management

n/a