Balance Innovations Reviews | Glassdoor

Darren Knipp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Marketing"

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time

Pros

Progressive, innovative culture within a comfortable positive environment.

Cons

Growing company with associated growing pains.

2. "Growing company with a strong culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time

Pros

A relatively new leadership team has put the company on a clear path to continued success. Leadership is very transparent about the health of the business at all times and they set stretch goals that are attainable. 100% customer retention rate and a solid groups of prospects in the pipeline. A lot of fun team-building activities give employees the opportunity to meet people from other departments. Leadership is investing in the building to make our work environment better resemble the culture.

Cons

Balance Innovations doesn't seem to be well known in Kansas City, but it's clear there's effort to change this through involvement in community activities, career fairs, etc.

Advice to Management

It's important to remain open about company health and strategy. Leadership does a great job showing how everyone in the company has a direct impact on company goals, which will remain key as we continue to grow.

3. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time

Pros

Balance Innovations is a company on the rise. Over the past two years leadership has stabilized, the business has grown over 20% and a culture of hard work and celebrating success has emerged. I'm really excited to be at Balance Innovations and the outlook is very positive.

Cons

I don't have anything specific to call out as con. There are always pain points with a small, rapidly growing company, but I believe in the leadership team and our vision as a business. Any issues that arise tend to be addressed quickly and managed well.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and open to communication/feedback. We love to celebrate the successes and it's good to have everyone on the same page.

4. "Balance Innovations is a great place to work"

I worked at Balance Innovations full-time

Pros

Great people work for this company

Cons

Too many changes in the past few years

"Run as fast as you can!!"

I have been working at Balance Innovations (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company with flexible work environment.
    The employee core is solid.

Cons

Who is running this company? Thought it was getting better but was just smoke and mirrors. A Christmas party, ping pong table, and some fresh paint doesn't cancel the fact that we have no real business direction. Seems like the new CEO's agenda is to save his old cohorts from his old company. Sound familiar? Same old story. Major lack of trust in current management. A lack of professionalism is rampant throughout the company. Three employee's were fired today with no explanation. Three people in one day at a small company is a huge deal. Is this a layoff? If the goal of these layoffs was to move the company forward then management once again missed the opportunity to clear the organization of the cancers within that lack passion and teamwork and use attitude and arrogance to drive personal agendas through pea-cocking and back stabbing.
    Again look at the management and their abuse of power. Be very cautious.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at the comments on this site, replace management team with professional leaders we can trust and respect and make some real changes or sell the company to someone that can drive and build a company and move on.

"Same as Always"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Less and less all the time. Flexible schedules that let you start your day at different times.

Cons

Not sure where to start. New to this site. We keep hearing things are going to get better so far all we have seen is a more casual workplace. Hired a VP that according to this site was a friend of the chairman, then we got a new Leader that seems ok but has not lead anything that I can see that is working. Does smile a lot so better than our intern Leader who never smiled.

New Leader brings in another sales guy over the other sales guy, other sales guy still here so I guess nepotism is still a good career path.

No sales or growth strategy and now word is our two biggest customers are only renewing for one year instead of five. No official word on this but that's not a surprise as we don't have open dialog anymore.

Advice to Management

Maybe print out the comments on this site and create an action plan of what the people doing the work are telling you. how can there be so much information available and the leadership just ignore it.

"I love it"

Pros

Balance Innovations is family-friendly and flexible. Employees support each other and work as a team, and management is accessible to all. The current CEO has put the company on a strong course for success and set the stage for new development. Overall, it's an engaging, comfortable place to work, with friendly people and unique technology.

Cons

Some people just can't get over their negative attitudes, and they tend to bring others down with them in the process.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. When people feel informed, they engage and gain enthusiasm for their jobs and the company as a whole.

"Slow and Sad"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company and employees care about each other and mutual success. Great customers.

Cons

No leadership in the last few months. We have lost the leaders and added only friends if owners. We hear the owners are looking to fix things but no progress the rank and file can see. Used to have an open door executive policy but now just quiet with doors closed. We have a CFO who is the COO and is not effective at all in leading his area.

Advice to Management

Make the changes we keep hearing we are thinking of. It's not hard unless you are not being honest with us.

"Promises Broken"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Less of these all the time, but at least they have a open policy on some things like bringing your dog to work when we don't have clients visiting. I don't have a dog but other like it

Cons

We lost a few executives at the end of the year and early January and we keep hearing of replacements that are "on the way". But now it is June and still no one here to lead the troops that understands both software technology and retail. I feel we have either been lied to or they just don't care enough to fix a problem that the entire staff sees but management does not see. They ask for input but when someone steps up they don't do anything about it.

I agree with others that have said that we used to have more staff draws but I think it goes with my point above that says I think they just don't care. I worked for another software company in the Kansas area before joining here and the same patterns are emerging. Lack of any real leadership....money gets tight....people being demoted and no real plan other than shallow hollow words.

Just frustrating after we had the last leadership team drive so much strategy and forward looking plans.

Advice to Management

Get off your butts and hire some leadership that have the ability to lead a 70 person company with GREAT customers.

"Strong customer base, tremendous upside potential, exciting and fun work environment"

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Be a contributor to overall success of the company and your career aspirations, be an entrepreneur and bring up new innovated ideas and see them come to fruition, learn new technologies with a strong customer base and work with Global vendors / partners, family like atmosphere with a work hard / smart and play hard culture, not a lot of bureaucracy, small company feel but financially stable with 16 years in business, Agile methodology.

Open Door policy, team and family events, casual work environment, flex time, all types of training opportunities, concerts and professional sports giveaways, awesome benefits (medical and financial)!

Cons

Some employees (mostly former) that couldn’t deal with change and were afraid to speak up to make a difference and hid behind their words and no actions to lead and guide the company in the right direction. Current and Former employees need to remain professional and be accountable to the company’s customer base and overall success for the company and employee base (and their families!) holistically.

Yes, there is change occurring and growing pains (what company isn’t going thru this?) but let’s work together, team up and communicate face-to-face to move the company to new positive levels and keep our customer’s happy while adding new customers and continue growing the company

Advice to Management

Continue to coach the minority of employees that are struggling with change, keep lines of communication open, continue to be open to change by listening to your employees and encourage more two-way communication, keep the positive movement going…