Balance Innovations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Darren Knipp

1. "Growing company with a strong culture"

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time

Pros

A relatively new leadership team has put the company on a clear path to continued success. Leadership is very transparent about the health of the business at all times and they set stretch goals that are attainable. 100% customer retention rate and a solid groups of prospects in the pipeline. A lot of fun team-building activities give employees the opportunity to meet people from other departments. Leadership is investing in the building to make our work environment better resemble the culture.

Cons

Balance Innovations doesn't seem to be well known in Kansas City, but it's clear there's effort to change this through involvement in community activities, career fairs, etc.

Advice to Management

It's important to remain open about company health and strategy. Leadership does a great job showing how everyone in the company has a direct impact on company goals, which will remain key as we continue to grow.

"Same as Always"

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Less and less all the time. Flexible schedules that let you start your day at different times.

Cons

Not sure where to start. New to this site. We keep hearing things are going to get better so far all we have seen is a more casual workplace. Hired a VP that according to this site was a friend of the chairman, then we got a new Leader that seems ok but has not lead anything that I can see that is working. Does smile a lot so better than our intern Leader who never smiled.

New Leader brings in another sales guy over the other sales guy, other sales guy still here so I guess nepotism is still a good career path.

No sales or growth strategy and now word is our two biggest customers are only renewing for one year instead of five. No official word on this but that's not a surprise as we don't have open dialog anymore.

Advice to Management

Maybe print out the comments on this site and create an action plan of what the people doing the work are telling you. how can there be so much information available and the leadership just ignore it.

"Slow and Sad"

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company and employees care about each other and mutual success. Great customers.

Cons

No leadership in the last few months. We have lost the leaders and added only friends if owners. We hear the owners are looking to fix things but no progress the rank and file can see. Used to have an open door executive policy but now just quiet with doors closed. We have a CFO who is the COO and is not effective at all in leading his area.

Advice to Management

Make the changes we keep hearing we are thinking of. It's not hard unless you are not being honest with us.

"Promises Broken"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Less of these all the time, but at least they have a open policy on some things like bringing your dog to work when we don't have clients visiting. I don't have a dog but other like it

Cons

We lost a few executives at the end of the year and early January and we keep hearing of replacements that are "on the way". But now it is June and still no one here to lead the troops that understands both software technology and retail. I feel we have either been lied to or they just don't care enough to fix a problem that the entire staff sees but management does not see. They ask for input but when someone steps up they don't do anything about it.

I agree with others that have said that we used to have more staff draws but I think it goes with my point above that says I think they just don't care. I worked for another software company in the Kansas area before joining here and the same patterns are emerging. Lack of any real leadership....money gets tight....people being demoted and no real plan other than shallow hollow words.

Just frustrating after we had the last leadership team drive so much strategy and forward looking plans.

Advice to Management

Get off your butts and hire some leadership that have the ability to lead a 70 person company with GREAT customers.

"Technical Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Even though we continue to grow, this place still feels like a small company. Great co-workers, relaxed atmosphere, flex-hours, potential for growth and advancement in almost all departments. Management is willing to develop those who are willing to learn.

Cons

I personally miss the game room, however I don't think I'd have much spare time to play ping-pong anymore. No permanent CEO yet, however I believe we are working hard to find one that is a good fit for us now and will take us to the next level.

Advice to Management

I think we are pointed in the right direction. The new projects that were outlined recently seem both challenging and exciting. The innovation challenge we competed in was fantastic, I hope that was not just a one time deal. All in all, keep doing what you are doing, keep getting better, and keep bringing in good people.

"Don't Work Here !!!!!"

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company with cool culture.

Cons

Over the last 4 months this place has completely lost its way, the best and most dynamic CEO we ever had left. Replaced with a CEO that has to be 75 years old ( which is not bad ) but this CEO is LOST, no software or retail experience at all. We are a software company that goes into retail stores.

No plans in place that have been shared. We used to have town halls and the leadership was very approachable and now all they do is go to their offices and never walk around to see what is going on.

Advice to Management

I used to go out and tell my friends to come work here. I helped bring in 3 hires in the last 5 years......get a grip on what we do and hire people who know how to do it. We had a person that was an EVP of innovation and talked to him a lot, he is also gone and no one seems to care about any new ideas.
    Have a plan to fix this mess or just tell us you are going to sell, like you did 3 years ago...painfull place to work right now

"Lost and scrambling"

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company with long term employees

Cons

Management is lost. As soon as things are good and strategy set, they change the direction and people. No direction or innovation, old school mentality. CEO is clueless.

Advice to Management

Stop changing direction as soon as we hit our stride. You need to be competitive in the SW industry which meqns getting the right talent and experience. we need people to rally us and foster innovation.

"2015 Direction"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After a few years we now have a strategy that almost everyone gets involved with and you can relate your work to what is needed. they treat everyone with respect and its a great place to work.

Cons

Tooooo many old time whinny people. They just want it to go back to the good old days although they can not really say why it was better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Town Halls and extra things we always seem to be raffling off. I have worked in 3 companies in Kansas over the last 10 years and no one else has that stamina to keep those fun things going.

"Growing company with many career opportunities"

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time

Pros

You can work your way into the position you want. There are improvements that are needed with the company and if you can fill the vacancy then you can virtually create your own job. Great place for any entrepreneurial spirited worker looking to make a career for themselves. Lots of nice little perks: travel, generous vacation policies, great company outings from time to time. Company always gives back when things are going in the right direction.

Cons

Growing, thus, some lack of structure. Can be difficult to know your career path. On boarding process can be difficult and lengthy.

Advice to Management

Culture, perks, and benefits are all fairly gracious. Overall salary could be improved as compared to larger more established software providers. Still, I expect that to increase as does the company income/size.

"Better Than Ever"

Current Employee - IT in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - IT in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Balance Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We got a new CEO over a year ago and I wanted to wait a year to see if I should leave....NO WAY would I consider it now. We have very clear direction and if anyone does not know what direction we are headed they have not paid attention the emails, Portal or Town Halls. We just received another Town Hall meeting request today, so I look forward to the update.

Cons

Pay......as with most jobs the working class talk and complain about pay. Being very close to some very large tech companies like Sprint and Cerner, pay is always an issue.

Advice to Management

It is easy to get caught up in the office gossip about pay and other small minded concerns. Don't worry about pleasing all the small minded complainers. Keep the focus on growth and new ideas.