Banner Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert W. Fayfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Transparent Culture"

I have been working at Banner Engineering full-time

Pros

Company meetings are helpful and transparent
    Co-workers are always willing to assist when asked (in my experience)
    Benefits seem competitive and adequate
    Continual focus on research and development of products

Cons

Significant project hierarchies can limit the success of projects in my opinion

2. "Job"

I have been working at Banner Engineering full-time

Pros

Great pay , awesome employee benefits

Cons

Over worked , lots of hours

3. "First Year Review"

I have been working at Banner Engineering full-time

Pros

Competitive wages, insurance, benefits, profit sharing. This place is a vast improvement to my previous job. Almost boring by comparison.

Cons

Favoritism to engineering departments vs distribution/production department.

4. "An excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Aberdeen, SD
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Aberdeen, SD

I have been working at Banner Engineering part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked full-time and part-time here, I enjoy my job and like the environment. As a full-time student and part-time employee they have been so accommodating to my school schedule and let me work whenever I can.

Cons

Job can get repetitive sometimes.

5. "I don't recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Banner Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The location is close to home.

Cons

Very few people in management roles truly have a calling and passion for developing their employees and matching their talents and professional objectives. You are assigned without consideration to where your interest or talent lies.

Advice to Management

My advice is to completely reevaluate how you value and your employees. Find out what drives them, excites them and really listen. Make changes.

6. "Banner"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Banner Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, good benefits, lots of internal opportunities

Cons

Not much bad to say

"Applications Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Banner Engineering full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-worker are nice to work with.
    Location is great.

Cons

Management sucks.
    Micro management.
    Can not trust management.

Advice to Management

quit.

Jul 6, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your employment experience. It seems you have some issues with some level of management that needs to be addressed. Banner prides itself on... More

"Stale work environment with mundane tasks with not so talented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Banner Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The day I leave the organization at this rate.

Cons

Poor PTO (when compared to the other organizations I have worked at offered both vacation AND sick time. Catch the flu? Guess you just lost out on a vacation at Banner, oh well.) Management is very incompetent - my manager shouldn't ask me questions ALL THE TIME on how I do things; it should be the other way around where I ask help, not my manager. Work feels like it never gets done because no one seems to do anything or responds to emails in timely fashion so simple projects that should take 4 hours drag on forever spanning weeks. Very conservative thinking by management where any thoughts that are progressive or even aggressive get shot down (am chomping at the bit to give strategies to competitors in the future at this point out of pure frustration with the organization). Regularly see people gossiping about other coworkers in their cubes since we can't grow up and act like adults. I'm not a coffee drinker but I've never worked at a place that charges their employees for coffee and over charges employees for concessions.

Pay is also below market value, as I regularly see related roles with similar levels of experience offering at least $5,000 more a year with better work-life balance. Bonus is horrendous compared to past organizations I have been at. Non-compete is also an issue (wish I knew this prior).

Advice to Management

The culture is what it is - spineless, stale, and comes off as a tad bit cliquey (though not sure I can truly attest to that last statement). The sooner I can get out, the better. Huge step back for my career because of the overall inept management due to complete lack of knowledge. Not saying I know everything because I don't, but in order to grow, you have to surround yourself around those that have talent - people you can feed off of. Stop pressing projects that clearly will have very minimal impact (if any) and dragging them out as "top priority and critical" when in reality they get far more effort than they deserve because common sense, you would assume, would make this clear. Which reminds me - so much micromanagement. Allow people to rock the boa; it'll definitely allow perspective.

May 20, 2018 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience here at Banner. We value the opinions you have shared and take them seriously as we evaluate how we can continually... More

9. "Review from a former employee"

Former Employee - Assembler in Aberdeen, SD
    Former Employee - Assembler in Aberdeen, SD

I worked at Banner Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Loved what I did, getting to work with my hands. Clean. Relaxed dress-code.

Cons

It felt like we received a lot of mandatory overtime that didn't always feel necessary. Several times, I was required to come into work only to not really have much to do.
    Stations were also not always stocked with everything that was needed for a day.

Advice to Management

Maybe check to see if each station has what it needs before the start of each day? For example, sometimes one workstation would have 3 pliers while another wouldn't have any.

"Family"

I worked at Banner Engineering full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful people! Growing company with a family feel. Flat management style makes it easy to talk to managers.

Cons

Career building is not a priority it's easy to be put in a roll with no clear path to advancement. HR tends to put people into positions rather then post the go through the process of getting the best possible candidate. Pay is usually on the low end until you get to the upper management. Communication between the different departments could use improvement. Stagnate upper management, most upper management positions haven't changed in 20 + years.

Advice to Management

Need to create more positions to relief stress on support staff, the company has grown a lot in the last couple years but your shipping and customer service departments have not grown. Fill in some of the gaps by using personal that have worked in several areas to look at process to make sure your serving yourself and customers efficiently. Develop a career development plan for departments. Make your HR post, at least internally, all positions to get the best candidate don't just create positions to promote people.

Mar 30, 2018 – Sr. Corporate Recruiter

Banner demonstrates our “easy to do business with” value both inside and outside of the company, and we’re so glad that you experienced this value when working with our management. Our people truly... More