Baringa Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Baringa Partners Managing Partner Adrian Bettridge
Adrian Bettridge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good understanding that being away from home can be a struggle from a work/life balance perspective" (in 17 reviews)

• "Ultimately there are just great people working here and it feels as though everyone is pulling in the same direction" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is variable across teams" (in 23 reviews)

• "Long hours are frequently overlooked (" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lives up to expectations (and I was sceptical!)"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coaching and development, people genuinely help when you need it (and know their stuff), and a massive focus on culture. I feel like I can be myself and not a ‘corporate version’.

Cons

Coming from a big shiny firm, the office isn’t as high tech as I’m used too. However, i’d rather the partners spend the money on other things like the company holiday and training, than iPads on reception.

Advice to Management

Keep the ratio of partners to Non-partners. We have great access to your experience and want to keep it that way.

Sep 24, 2018 – Partner and People Lead

Hi there,
    It’s great to hear you have such positive feedback on us, and I’m thrilled to hear you feel as though you can be yourself at work - we feel we have a great mix of personalities within the... More

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

Culture, Client Base, Variety, Opportunity

Cons

Occasional out of town projects

Sep 24, 2018 – Partner and People Lead

Thank you for your feedback – we’re proud of the company we’ve become, and we’re very happy you are too!
    It’s great to hear you feel you have opportunity at your disposal. This is something that we... More

3. "An amazing company and a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The opportunities you get to develop yourself are excellent. Senior staff take a lot of time to give you feedback and help you improve your ways of working. The people you work with are very good at what they do and there are plenty of opportunities to learn from them. I find that I have developed rapidly since joining Baringa.

- It's a great environment to develop your career. There are continuous opportunities to take on greater challenges and increase your responsibility within the firm. You can also get excellent career mentors at Baringa, who will challenge you and help you to push your career in the direction that you want to go. There are also four promotion rounds a year.

- The social network and the support network you get at Baringa is incredible. We have an excellent work social life, with plenty of opportunities for fun. The teams that you work with also provide a lot of support to you make sure that you are getting the help you need to work well both off and on client site.

- You can really shape the company with your own ideas and initiatives. Baringa is always on the look out for new opportunities, and if you have an area that you are passionate about or interested in Baringa is a great environment to pursue this.

Cons

- Baringa has been a bit slow to think 'global' as an organisation, despite now having offices in several countries (and continents!). Baringa is making progress in this area, but it should continue to think globally, in order to work effectively from an operational point of view and best serve its clients.

Advice to Management

Think globaly; operationally, as well as commercially.

4. "Awesome company"

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

super awesome work very interesting great team

Cons

hardworking long hours hardworking long hours hardworking long hours hardworking long hours

5. "Empowered teams"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

Dynamic, personable leaders, lots of people who care, a team able to make things happen autonomously

Cons

Hard to find a seat on fridays

6. "Thoughts on Baringa as a new Partner"

Current Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing People-oriented culture which was heavily marketed before I joined and has proven genuine through out my first couple of months
    Very client-centric approach in which the needs and priorities of clients are really clearly at the heart of our work

Cons

I think some of those who have been here for a while have perhaps forgotten or become acclimatised to how good it is here and how well people are looked after.
    Having worked in a large corporate for the last 13 years and one of the Big 4 consultancies for 10 years before that, I am so impressed by how good things are here

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

7. "Glass 8/10 full @ Growth pains worth enjoying"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After a number of years, I feel gratefull for Baringa inviting me to a world of consulting from industry.
    They took a leap of faith. I did as well. It paid out for both - in revenues, and mutual development.

I arrived at the time when company was small enough for senior team to immediately know your name when bumping with you at the elevator. We are bigger now. Being bigger allows to go after bigger goals...it also comes with acceptance of growth pains...and enjoying those....

We are an FT 2018 no 1 consultancy in utilities alongside McKinsey - deep niche expertise, great people, clients being served flexibly and devotedly. And at better rates than certain competitors....

I can not vouch for non-energy, but based on people whom I do know in other BUs from famed social get aways, common courses and informal drinks/dinners , we deserve a similar ranking in FS and other new areas of work at the very least from “great people” and “passion” perspective....

Now for those of us, enjoying models, I gonna test Baringa through PERK (Purpose, Engagement, Resilience, Kindness) to arrive to my 8/10 Glass full.

1. Purpose.
    Clearly, we are moving towards a transformational global advisory firm with deep industry expertise, be it at energy, finance or even a temp theme such as Brexit.
    And our, inspirational, management leads the way jn finding ways to keep selling work - with differing success, which is a reality of consulting. So here is 8/10.

To get to 10, the firm already started rewarding the appropriate business development behaviour. In my personal view, an advisory firm thrives when it sells interesting work, which at turn motivates people (see 2 below).

2. Engagement.
    Great people, who are all brilliant to work together. A true pleasure. 10/10

3. Resilience.
    In consulting, flexibility and time pressure is what you sign up to. Key is how as a team, and firm you support this. Baringa since last year puts great effort in courses, leadership attention on WLB, mental health etc. 7/10.

To go to 10, is I think impossible - one needs to select when hiring people who are able to say No, but deliver when it matters, and if needed work to late night to flexibly go to a long breakfast with loved ones next day. CEO encourages such behaviour - himself a family man - and this is a great feature. WLB for advisory means ability to prioritise, and work hard when it matters, and relax afterwards to prepare for next hill.

4. Kindness
    How are we treating each other when we get bad news? Do we care? Do we ask about one’s holiday? Do we bring each other tea when its cold in office? Do we smile when seeing each other?
    We do....see above.
    This does not mean one is not confronted if sales targets, or utilisation, are not adressed. After all, its consulting - so kindness goes with together making profits....10/10

Cons

There are colleagues who see glass more empty - fair enough. To me, this is fine. I worked in quite a few organisations - Baringa is as good as it gets, for a commercial advisory business.

So there was some truth to posts “like a glove” from July 2017 - leadership picked up on those. Did they do a perfect job? Well join, and help further.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people - like you do...

And lets change tradition of annual thank you to partners for keeping up with flexible work - it is from old times; now often both have a career....do keep inviting partners those to dinners like in Shard or Guildhall....that work wonders...

"A stepping stone at best! Beware of the image they show you"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Open door policy
    - There was a time when leadership was open to listening to improvement
    - Work-life balance
    - Relaxed dress code

Cons

- Poor compensation and work facilities
    - Insufficient investment in internal infrastructure. The reason given always is "We are conservative so that we can put more money in your pockets through bonuses etc". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this is a white lie!
    - Senior Management is not interested in the truth, only in people who say yes to everything
    - Some junior partners suffer from Napolean's syndrome, and get away by doing dodgy, sneaky stuff and a whole load of lies. They have deep insecurities that leads them to attack people who don't dance to their tunes.
    - Recently, some of very few 'deserving' directors and partners have faced some sort of demotion, pushing "integrity" at the top to an all-time low.
    - Other partners like leads of major business lines or regions have never sold anything and continue to be protected. They bully staff under them to sell work and then are very quick to steal credit for themselves.
    - To top it all, the average IQ of the partners is not much above a ground squirrel's! Blowing their own trumpets is the only skill they have
    - Many Baringa staff mean well - they just have a different 'frame of reference' than normal people. People who are not like them unfortunately become victims of corporate bullying

ADVICE TO EMPLOYEES: Most importantly, DO NOT share your industry contacts with the company. They are very quick to steal them and then try to use them to their advantage, even after you have left. I know this sounds foolhardy of them, but trust me, this has happened in many instances!

And no matter what the circumstances, keep your honour and do not let yourselves be bullied.

Advice to Management

Try to think differently for a start. Work on your insecurities. Be humble, fair and transparent.

Let your work speak for itself, not your loud mouths!

"Cult for insecure overachievers"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I worked in the company it had some decent financial incentives if you travel regularly.

Cons

Baringa is indeed a cult that brainwashes insecure overachievers. All the reviews about forced fun etc are very true. I won't repeat what has been said.
    When I was an employee, myself and others gave the same feedback as can be read in very recent reviews, and were given the same BS responses as given here by the People Partner ...years later nothing has changed, in fact it sounds worse....the fact that there has to be a People Partner speaks volumes.

Worst of all the work is so boring. 90% is about replacing Excel spreadsheets with some unnecessary IT systems that take much longer to implement than anyone ever thought. Consultants spend most of ther time working with clients who are too stupid, lazy, or indifferent in their job. Yaaawwn!!!

Advice to Management

My advice is to the employees - Leave; Just leave and don't look back. It will be OK. You will look back and feel so much better.

"Fake culture"

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

Company events, CEO, benefits, Recruitment team, location

Cons

Fake culture and it's all they care about is statistics... there is no real involment in developing people or skills, not a balanced workforce..

Feb 1, 2019 – Partner and People Lead

I am disappointed to read your comments, it would be helpful to understand what is behind them. Please reach out to me directly, so we can discuss together. David Harris (People Exec Lead)