Barneys Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Daniella Vitale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There really is no work-life balance" (in 8 reviews)

• "No room for growth, catty managers and coworkers" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Decent work environment"

Current Employee - IT Support Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Support Analyst

I have been working at Barneys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exponential growth with ability to work on many different systems

Cons

No pay increases in over 4 years.

2. "Great discount incentives"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Barneys full-time

Pros

Great discount incentives or all product categories

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals when all the personal shoppers would hoard all the product and leave you nothing to sell...

"run away - don't work here"

I have been working at Barneys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee discount
    summer fridays
    work from home

Cons

yelling is every day and personal. no one does anything . vendors not paid and no raises

Advice to Management

have leaders who are not extremely emotional and are role models. people want to work hard but need stable leaders

"Chic Funeral Parlor"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in New York, NY

I worked at Barneys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cache at cocktail parties while discussing jobs with people not in fashion. Discount in beauty products

Cons

I left significantly dumber vs when I joined. Senior management makes every decision, down to style, color, unit allocation.

Management will ask for near impossible objectives, and scream if you don’t deliver. And on several occasions when you do, chastise you for not calling out the potential downsides of the assignment

Advice to Management

Trust your team, and empower them to do their jobs. When I was there, there were a lot of smart tenured people. These same talented merchants were reduced to clerical tasks and decision making.

"Buyer"

Pros

I got to work with incredibly talented people, amazing brands and did learn a lot albeit in spite of the extremely dysfunctional management.

Cons

As noted in previous reviews, the CEO and CMO are extremely abusive and uncaring about the well being of their employees - in particular the Buying office. Everyone and I mean everyone knows the CMO’s reputation for mistreating employees and vendors alike, but no one has had the courage to address the problem because of her power in the industry. The CEO does not care.

I’ve seen whole teams of 10+ turn over within the space of a year from working 14 hour work days including weekends and then being verbally berated for not having memorized some marginally important number from within their business area off hand in meetings. I’ve seen many senior executives cry in meetings after verbal beratement from the CMO.

The CEO and CMO are paid vast sums of money and asst buyers and associates are paid the same as the baristas in the Starbucks in the lobby. (Finance accidentally saved everyone’s salaries in the shared drive so this info became common knowledge).

Buyers are treated as utterly disposable as there is always someone who will work at Barneys for low pay because of the reputation.

Buyers are intensely micromanaged and reduced to glorified secretaries. No buyer is allowed to make independent business decisions, however minute.

I still cannot make sense of how I lasted their that long.

A truly terrible place to work.

"Great discount, so-so leadership"

Former Employee - Selling Specialist
    Former Employee - Selling Specialist

I worked at Barneys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible employee discount (35% and seasonal 45%) at one of the most well-curated luxury brands in the US.
    Fun workplace if you're interested in fashion, as you get to interact with vendors to discuss product.
    I worked at a smaller neighborhood location, so mostly friendly regular clientele.

Cons

Felt management response to security threats were insufficient. Aggressive store visitors making threats and yelling at staff? No big deal! *This was a few years ago, so hopefully this has improved since then.
    I didn't find the (mandatory) union in New York very supportive.
    Pay isn't incredible, but pretty standard for retail.
    Not much opportunity for professional development or guidance from management.

"Abusive CEO and Chief Merchant"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in New York, NY

I worked at Barneys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with great designers

Cons

This is one of, if not, THE worst companies in the industry to work for. from the slew of operational issues, poor merchandising strategies, and lack of profitability that plagues this company, there are bigger issues. The main one being a leadership team that is not only ineffective in managing a profitable business, but they are also running unethical business practices on both designers and employees.

The assistant buyers make minimum wage and the associates only around $5k more a year. Bonuses are promised based on hitting various metrics, however when those metrics are hit, bonuses are never given. Turnover is never filled and even with about 30% of corporate positions open due to attrition, they’ve had recent lay offs leaving only the highest leadership in place and mostly individual contributors.

This would almost be OK, if it wasn’t for how the CEO and run the company. Intimidation, berating, lying and even yelling is normal day to day operations at the corporate office by the CEO and CMO. Information is hidden from the vendor community and it’s very common for leadership to say their doing one thing to partners but then actually doing something completely different. Their goal is to find new up coming naive designers who have not yet had experience in business, have them promise exclusivity, and then make sure they pay whatever profits they’ve made back to Barneys with marketing co-ops that far outweigh the industry average of 3%. They get away with it because a lot of these new designers don’t know any better and when they question, the leadership team intimidates and threatens them into staying. If a designer brings up operational or merchandising issues they’d like corrected, the leadership team will blatantly lie and say it is being worked on when it is not. Eventually if the designer does decide to leave, they’ll ensure they ruin as much of that business as possible before departing so that other retailers are not profitable with the brand.

This company is around simply to keep the individuals at the highest level well paid. Do not work here. Sadly these experienced leaders are also horrible merchants and business women. You will not learn much working here.

Advice to Management

Retire

Barneys Response

Feb 21, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you greatly for sharing your concerns. We are disappointed to learn that your experience at Barneys was not entirely positive and as a responsible employer, we welcome criticism as an... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barneys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Barney’s is a beautiful store, with the best merchandise and excellent core values.

Cons

There is no formula to how their productivity works and unfortunately due to poor manegment, bitter HR and lack of leadership all is based on favoritism. You have to be a gay male or have extremely aggressive sales tactic to keep your job.

Advice to Management

I would suggest finding better management and leaders who stick to Barneys core values so that associates have a fair chance in being successful.

"Run! Everything is Falling apart."

Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Discounts and Co-Workers are friendly.
    Barneys Name is Prestigious and the stores are very nice.

Cons

Retail is taking a big hit, but the ones at the top don't seem to care.
    Within 4 months the whole IT Management team has been let go and with directors and staff leaving week after week with no one filling in the void.
    No Holiday Parties, No Raises or Bonuses, the mentality of just be happy that you have a job. Thanks to Richard Perry, Daniella Vitale and all Senior staff for their lack of care to all the people that work so hard to keep to company working. as we were told "do more with less".

Advice to Management

People in IT & Digital on the support side @ Barneys were will to take certain things because we had leadership that would respect us, but now thats all gone with all thanks to the new leaders who are out for titles w/ no experience and will leave in a year but leave all of us and the company in a bad place. People will only work hard if the people that manage them believe in them. Plus stop the Favoritism of the last few months, This was a place of Diversity, didn't know that as of 4 months ago, we all had to previously work at Childrens place or Tumi to get a ahead. Because of all your recent decisions you have made this place feel like a funeral home then a retail luxury giant. It's sad how things have gotten so quickly. Also if you complain that no one is buying, you should fire the buyers who buy garbage that our customers don't buy... start buying product that people want.... Also pay your vendors it's embarrassing doing business with anyone with these issues.

10. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Barneys (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great atmosphere. Base pay is pretty solid

Cons

Sometimes employees can be overly competitive and get greedy and it’s not that serious just clothes. Typical when commission is involved.

Advice to Management

Don’t over think it...just clothes